You guys have some stunning kit! I'm jazzed!! :sun:

What's for speakers in the Trevinitones?

The TT15 has a Celestion Vintage 10 80th Anniversary limited edition and the TT18 has a Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary limited edition.  Don't be fooled by the small size of the TT15, it's stupid loud.  I've changed the Orange drop capacitors for Mallory 150s in the TT15 which has improved the tone a little. 

• Thanks 1

You guys have some stunning kit! I'm jazzed!! :sun:

What's for speakers in the Trevinitones?

The TT15 has a Celestion Vintage 10 80th Anniversary limited edition and the TT18 has a Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary limited edition.  Don't be fooled by the small size of the TT15, it's stupid loud.  I've changed the Orange drop capacitors for Mallory 150s in the TT15 which has improved the tone a little. 

One day, I'll change out the 4x10 Jensons in the Bassman for something more mellow (but I do love it that they say "Made in Italy!"

Now we're talking! 

Here are some of my efforts...

Trevinitone TT15. This is my main gigging and recording amp

WP_20140817_009_zpsqloyi1m5.jpg

Prototype build pics.  It's a tight fit in the chassis, but sounds superb.

WP_20140523_001_zpsdecud87q.jpg

Another Trevinitone...This one is the TT18

WP_20140817_012_zpsausj7q8p.jpg

Internal shot...

TT18%2000002%201_zpssuxcf9hl.jpg

Do you design and build those yourself? Very cool!

Ken

Thanks Docc. I make the turret boards from scratch using FP4 board and can adapt the boards for different sized components/ requirements for custom builds.  It's a shame that most people won't ever get to see the insides of the amps they buy, but at least I'll know. 

It's getting there.  To be fair, I haven't done too much to the V11 loom. The charge circuit has been sorted out properly to go long with the Electrex reg/rec and it doesn't have any of the normal issues they suffer with. Mine also has the three coloured LED charge system light built into the dash.  Other than that, if it ain't broke...

• Like 1

I'd like to add that LED charge indicator one day (even though mine ain't broke!)

Fascinating to find someone who actually builds electronics. I thought they came about this way:

image001.jpg

They're not exactly hi tech amps that I build. The real beauty is in the simplicity.  Comparing the 18w to the 15w amp, there are almost double the components in the pre amp and filtering side of things just to reduce noise.  Compared to "modern" amps, they really are old school.  The payback for that is in the dynamics and tone.  The whole thing is organic and lends itself very well to players that actually use the volume and tone controls on their guitars.  You'd be surprised how many players change their tone by jumping on a pedal or two and don't even explore what the amps and instruments can do.  Each to their own, however and all being different keeps in interesting. 

"Old school?" See, more V11 analogies! :oldgit:

I wish my cheap-ass bass had better pick-ups, controls, and output. I've rewired it a couple times and replaced the capacitor, but it's no impressario. :mellow:

You're not wrong Docc. There's a lot to be said for old technology, whatever it's applied to. Everything just seems more organic. Modern tech is just too clinical and efficient (for me at least).

If you want a lovely instrument, you could do a lot worse than one of Chris Larkin's custom jobbies. I know Chris from the Carpe TDM forum and have toured with him.  He's a lovely chap and shares a passion for cake as well as guitars. Beautiful instruments too and all hand made.  I'm saving my pennies to buy an ASAD one day. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...