Last night I played off and on for several hours finally checking tube temps after the amp had been on for maybe four or five hours. I'm not sure what any of the parts are inside the "valve" but there is a hot spot glowing right in the middle. Aiming my infrared reader very carefully with the laser, both 6L6 output tubes were 346-350ºF and the rectifier, about 250.

So, while they look plenty similar, I'm still really amazed how hot they get! :nerd:

I still need to get on those links you guys posted and study up.

As soon as The Blues stops getting in the way . . . B)

I used to fix a lot of old radios for friends and workmates, I didn't really know what I was doing but usually got lucky. Electric phonographs were a novelty, I would snip the wire going to the volume control and wire in a phone jack so they could plug the phonograph in. Valves are fascinating, I was lucky enough to do my apprenticeship before they were phased out.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• 4 weeks later...

I used to fix a lot of old radios for friends and workmates, I didn't really know what I was doing but usually got lucky. Electric phonographs were a novelty, I would snip the wire going to the volume control and wire in a phone jack so they could plug the phonograph in. Valves are fascinating, I was lucky enough to do my apprenticeship before they were phased out.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Wait - what? They've been phased out? :o

I heard the same of two-valve, air-cooled, push-rod twins! :whistle:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

There are quite a few of my silly possessions that fall in line with having a Guzzi. I'm not sure what the common denominator is exactly:           analog, atavistic, anachronismal (alliteration!) . . . living long in the lower register? B)

Funny, I was thinking this in another context and another place a few days ago. 

My thoughts were:

Moto Guzzi

Pentax cameras

Land Rover

bass guitar

valve amps / turntables

balls of string

Apple Mac

... I'll stop now as Jaap is turning seriously green at the gills

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed new salt and pepper grill cloth on my Marshall JCM800 Bass head today. The previous owner had removed the black grill cloth, so it was blank.

Ken

IMG_8447_zpsebn72abd.jpg

Freakin' gorgeous! :food:  Worth making the picture appear twice! :pic: :pic:

Didn't Jimi Hendrix use Marshall amps ?

yup. My guitar buddy just scored a "vintage" Hendrix-tribute full Marshall stack in some shade of purple vinyl.

I'm guessing Purple Haze . . . :rasta:

• 9 months later...

I finally broke down and got a tiny spray can of Caig DeOxit Gold to cheer up the Sport's electrics.

The volume pots on the Bassman are pretty scratchy. Can I get some of the magic juice into them without the caps blowing me into the nearest parallel dimension? :o

Yeah, but I probably can't cock-up my nasty, old V11 *much* spraying anything on it (I think I proved this with zinc chromate :rolleyes: ) . . .

Can I just spray the pots? From the top? or take off the back panel and hit them from the bottom? Will it seep in?

I believe the "gold" is more of a lubricant. I know it is thin but I wouldn't expect it to penetrate a pot. Not gonna hurt either. I would first hit the pots (with the contacts exposed aka the back side) with a contact cleaner then a dab'll do ya with the "gold". Not an expert by any means but I have a little experience with potentiometers.

• Thanks 1