The old pots have something in common with your Guzzi ignition switch, the grease goes hard and holds the slider off, any solvent will soften it again, heck I've even used gasoline in a pinch.

I'm late to this party, but let me tell you about my tube amp. I was cruising by a yard sale and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a flip top. (!) Did a u turn, came back, and sure enough.. a B18. "Does it work?" "Nope" What do you want for it?" "Hunnerd bux." "Let's load her up.."  :grin:

On 12/30/2016 at 11:24 AM, Chuck said:

I'm late to this party, but let me tell you about my tube amp. I was cruising by a yard sale and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a flip top. (!) Did a u turn, came back, and sure enough.. a B18. "Does it work?" "Nope" What do you want for it?" "Hunnerd bux." "Let's load her up.."  :grin:

Something like this?

1965AmpegB18N01039_2.jpg

The old pots have something in common with your Guzzi ignition switch, the grease goes hard and holds the slider off, any solvent will soften it again, heck I've even used gasoline in a pinch.

Success! I couldn't get to the "back" (bottom?) of the volume pots, so sprayed the top side (sparingly) with CRC Electronics Cleaner whilst giving them a twist. Followed up with the CaigDeOxit (since there was "no one to stop me this time"), and *vee-oh-la!* - no more scratchy discharge when the pots are moved after being still for a time. :thumbsup:

Also, "cleaned and treated" all the 1/4"phono jacks for my cords.

Sounding good for New Year's Eve! Happy New Year! :drink:

Here ya go, Docc. It's a big booger with an 18" speaker. The top with amplifier can be turned over, latched down, and the only thing you have to move to the gig is the speaker enclosure. Wonder if that's why they call it a flip top? :huh2:

Like everything else there is a mail list devoted to them with parts suppliers, etc. The illuminated "Ampeg" part was missing, but are being repopped. Changed out the power tubes, and this sucker rocks. :grin:

Makes a killer tube guitar amp, too.. unless you want effects. Doesn't have any.

Pretty good buy for a hunnerd bux and a little time. (Guzzi content)

30250301896_5ac6fd7917_c.jpg2016-10-12_02-57-16 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...