And you hauled this home with the 18" speaker and cab for a hunnertbucks?

Sweeet! What's for output tubes, like two 6L6? :huh2:

Yep..one of my better finds. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone asked me why I was asking guys on a motorcycle forum about my amp.   "Because I trust them,"  I said quite confidently.

I had an Orange Rockerverb for a number of years during my gigging days. Such a nice sounding amp for that classic clean overdriven sound. Goes nocely with my bigsby fender jag   Sent from my SM-G

Speaker compliment, all high efficiency to match the 12-15W 30-A amplifier.  One might be amazed how loud 12-15W is when the speakers are high efficiency.  Kids today chasing 100s or 1000s of amps of

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm a little surprised . . .

Young son gave me an energy monitoring device for Father's Day and I began checking the amperage draw of various circuits in my proximity. The Fender Bassman LTD (reissue) is on one of them and shows to be only drawing about 3/4 of an amp (0.73A).

I expected those 6L6 output tubes-etc to be much less efficient, creating a significant current draw.

But, no? :huh2:

• 1 year later...

OHHHH, NOOOOOO! :o

My Fender Bassman re-pop went ded, Jim! I cried out like a baby. Loverly wife came running down two flights of stairs thinking I was trapped under a jacked car. :thumbsup:

Two 6L6 output tubes still lit, and the one on the far left is dark and cold . . .

What to do? Just re-seat it with some Caig DeOxit®?

Or is it "ded, Jim?" :huh:

Die-am! Cleaned the connections with CRG Electronics Cleaner, treated with Caig DeOxit® and back to hot!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IMG_7629.jpg

Here is a photo of the underside of my rehabilitated 30-A mono amplifier after recapping, etc

This and the FM-50 mono FM tuner will power a 1950s cabinet for which I've built custom crossovers, etc

Fisher-30-A-post-recap.jpg

Some vintage NOS GE EL84 tubes provide the amplification, with vintage 12ax7 and rectifier tubes.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fisher_audio_amplifier_30_a30.html

• Like 1

FM-50 underside after restoration.  The big coupling cap has actually been changed to a Mundorf oil capacitor since this photo was taken.

Fisher-FM-50-post-recap-small.jpg

The FM-50 is unique in that it has a recording level circuit, which is actually a simple preamplifier via a 12ax7 tube, so the tuner has a volume control built in.  So I can connect the output of the FM-50 directly to the 30-A amplifier.  I think I've either got a vintage NOS Telefunken or Bugle Boy in there now. 

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fisher_fm_50.html

I'll try to remember to post some finished photos once complete, which should be in a week or two, but here is a photo of the rear of the cabinet open with the crossovers and rear firing bi-polar dome mid-range speaker which makes the mono speaker sound a lot more spacious.

Since the tuner and amplifier have no tone controls, I have pots on the horn tweeter and midrange themselves, as well as the ability to switch the crossover in/out for the mid-range making it full-range.

001.jpg

• Like 1

Speaker compliment, all high efficiency to match the 12-15W 30-A amplifier.  One might be amazed how loud 12-15W is when the speakers are high efficiency.  Kids today chasing 100s or 1000s of amps of power just don't understand.

• Exponential horn loaded tweeter
  • 5" midrange
  • 12" woofer

003.jpg

• Like 2

What a terrible scare! I have a session tomorrow to practice for . . .

Nice stuff, Al !    :thumbsup:

Is the rectifier tube the most likely to go in an amp like this (Fender reissue '59 Bassman Ltd) ?

The tube still shuts down when it heats up. I'll search a good replacement. Like, something OSRAM, and made in Sweden  . . . ?   :huh2:

Maybe, keep a spare on hand like we do a Hi-Current OMRON relay in the monkey-paw-trap of a V11 ?  :mg:

Here is a photo of the underside of my rehabilitated 30-A mono amplifier after recapping, etc

This and the FM-50 mono FM tuner will power a 1950s cabinet for which I've built custom crossovers, etc

attachicon.gifFisher-30-A-post-recap.jpg

Some vintage NOS GE EL84 tubes provide the amplification, with vintage 12ax7 and rectifier tubes.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fisher_audio_amplifier_30_a30.html

Is it ok to discuss "reforming" & or replacing caps on this topic ?