Factory stand BTW

docc

I dearly love my V11 factory paddock/shop stand that props the sideplate nuts at the porkchop. It comes with a spindle ~8"x3" (~25cmx8cm) to prop the front of the sump. One day, having done this, and removed the front wheel, the bike (got) rolled an inch forward and dropped suddenly onto its forks!  :o No harm done, but not good form.  :blush:

Forevermore, I've not used the flinky spindle that only has its end plate radius to resist tipping (~1 1/2"/

To wit: if the little wheels of the stand roll forward (or back) [bLUE ARROW], the spindly spindle [RED CIRCLE] will drop your darling on its face.

IMG_0307.jpg

Various methods have been devised to address this concern. Some may or may not entail treated lumber . . . :whistle:

IMG_518901.jpg

• Like 1

I'm no expert on this but maybe you could mount the spindle on a piece of plywood to make it more stable and make it just the right size so that
it sits against the front of the paddock stand. If the stand roles foreward it'l push the plywood forward thus moving the spindle forward.

Maybe something like this ?

IMG_0307.jpg

Docc,

You lost more style points by laying your front brake rotor directly on the ground!  But, yeah, that spindly thing bothers me too.  I like walterg's suggestion, but I need to work out in my mid how to lift the front of the bike to slide it under. 

I use the Becker Technik lifter which clamps onto the pork chop nuts. That way I can wrench away without fear that the bike slips off the stand.

I lift the front using a floor jack, and have made a small wooden cradle out of 2x4's that distributes the load evenly over the sump.

Due to the low stance of the sump, I have to hold the "U" shaped wood cradle in position while rolling the floor jack underneath.

So, a little tricky, but is rock solid when lifted.

Docc,

You lost more style points by laying your front brake rotor directly on the ground! 

Agreed, but style points earned for by what appears to be an orange rubber glove with upraised middle finger.  (on the jack handle in 2nd pic) 

Net positive style points.

I accept the orange "jack handle cover" as a *subtle* message for me prompting the Coppa owner to use every known device to prevent the lovely V11 from falling on its face. :grin:

The plywood solution is good thinking. I was considering simply welding a bigger disc to one end of the spindle.

The Coppa owner is a clever, witty dude: "This glove's for you!" :)

What about cutting the spindle down a little and welding it to a small dolly like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9442-Tri-Dolly-Capacity/dp/B0009VOSOE/ref=pd_sim_328_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=118527XXZKPY79TGG8Z4&dpID=41yoj4R2i9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

That would make it pretty mobile (especially with a nice floor like that).

BTW - I'm jealous of your friends BMW shop sign, and what I think is a TR6.

Very sharp eye to spot the TR6! What is not clearly visible are the tap handles on the refrigerator doors. I'm always quick to volunteer to help bleed the TR bakes! :bier:

Very sharp eye to spot the TR6! What is not clearly visible are the tap handles on the refrigerator doors. I'm always quick to volunteer to help bleed the TR bakes! :bier:

FullSizeRender-1-L.jpg

Completed and shot of "handles" :whistle:

• Like 1

I've never seen a happier V11! Look at that big smile on her face. :D

BTW, highest and best use of the factory spindle: curious Italian shelf art:

DSCN4099.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, is the title supposed to be Factory stand "FTW"?

More like "WTF?" which is something like what I said when my forks hit the floor.  :o:homer: