Return To Le Langhe & Lago di Como

Orson

Orson

A couple of guys are planning a trip in 2016. Since you have ridden extensively in Europe what is your opinion on riding in the month of May? Would we most likely be dealing with a lot of rain and should maybe wait until June?

Thanks, Bob

Orson

A couple of guys are planning a trip in 2016. Since you have ridden extensively in Europe what is your opinion on riding in the month of May? Would we most likely be dealing with a lot of rain and should maybe wait until June?

Thanks, Bob

I like riding from mid-May to mid-June for several reasons. The temperatures are quite comfortable in southern Europe and with the schools still in session, the crowds are smaller and there are more hotel rooms available. Many of the passes in the Alps don't open until mid-June so, I guess it depends on what your priorities are. I myself am not particularly enamored with endless switchbacks.

Without checking the internet, I don't think there is much difference in rainfall between May & June (in Italy). Rainfall would be a roll of the dice. Either you're lucky or you're not.

Late September through October are also good for the same reasons.

Croatia has some good roads and the food is almost like being in Italy. I really liked the Istrian peninsula. Lots of English spoken in the hotels and restaurants. Slovenia is also beautiful.