Throttle body balance rod repair

jeffachenbach

Cheers to you, Bruce. Gotta love the internet. No way I could keep a V11 without it. Still the Mercedes part of it gives me shudders. Merc in NZ is $$ not $. Is there a US merchant that will dropship to US address on my NZ credit card or paypal?

Z, Did you check with the link I posted above ? (http://www.everythingbenz.com/z/part/0009918922-mercedes-socket-end-for-throttle-linkage)

I haven't done business with them, but their website looks like they know these parts . . . although I cannot seem to see where they are located. :huh2:

Cheers to you, Bruce. Gotta love the internet. No way I could keep a V11 without it. Still the Mercedes part of it gives me shudders. Merc in NZ is $$ not $. Is there a US merchant that will dropship to US address on my NZ credit card or paypal?

Z, Did you check with the link I posted above ? (http://www.everythingbenz.com/z/part/0009918922-mercedes-socket-end-for-throttle-linkage)

I haven't done business with them, but their website looks like they know these parts . . . although I cannot seem to see where they are located. :huh2:

the link appears to be a benz specific web trawler, nifty! Guzzi could do with same.

I clicked on autohausAZ from there. They are in Phoenix.

The problem I get sometimes is the NZ billing removes the US shipping option on some sites. You nevet know until you go through all the customer signup process.

I will throw this out there, my '93 Daytona uses a metal Heim joint linkage rod. It has no play and I can't see it ever wearing out.

The plastic throttle link rod ball socket on my 03 V11 had 1mm slop. Thanks to this forum, I went to the local Mercedes dealer here in New Zealand. After a 5 day wait for shipping, they supplied a metal ball socket which is a perfect fit, costing NZ$21.44. They tell me that this part is common to many MB cars 1970-1980. MB P/N A0009930461.

This is a different P/N from the longer one mentioned by BruceReader > Todd of MPH > P/N 0009918822, which may be just as good.

I'd prefer to fit a plastic socket if I could, as the plastic seems to wear instead of the ball. The ball will be harder to repair after another 80,000km if this hardened metal socket will wear the ball. Meantime, I'll have to keep it greased.

The original plastic ball socket weights 2g, but the MB part is 9g. Being me, I couldn't leave it alone, so I ground wrench flats on it, which got it down to 8g but then I had to paint it black.

I hope that this is helpful, and thanks for all the other excellent contributions.

Marty

Throttle Rod Metal Ball Socket.JPG

• Like 1

An exact fit beats modding the other one. Should get a mod to edit the original.

Got a source for the hex replacements of the TPS torx screws by any chance? Mine are already half munted.

The plastic throttle link rod ball socket on my 03 V11 had 1mm slop. Thanks to the tip on this forum, I went to the local Mercedes dealer here in New Zealand. After a 5 day wait for shipping, they supplied a metal ball socket which is a perfect fit, costing NZ$21.44. They tell me that this part is common to many MB cars 1970-1980.

MB P/N A0009930461.

This is a different P/N from the longer one mentioned by BruceReader > Todd of MPH > P/N 0009918822.

I'd prefer to fit a plastic socket if I could, as the plastic seems to wear instead of the ball. The ball will be harder to repair after another 80,000km if this hardened metal socket will wear the ball. Meantime, I'll have to keep it greased.

The original plastic ball socket weights 2g, but the MB part is 9g. Being me, I couldn't leave it alone, so I ground wrench flats on it, which got it down to 8g but then I had to paint it black.

I hope that this is helpful, and thanks for all the other excellent contributions.

Marty

An exact fit beats modding the other one. Should get a mod to edit the original.

Got a source for the hex replacements of the TPS torx screws by any chance? Mine are already half munted.

The plastic throttle link rod ball socket on my 03 V11 had 1mm slop. Thanks to the tip on this forum, I went to the local Mercedes dealer here in New Zealand. After a 5 day wait for shipping, they supplied a metal ball socket which is a perfect fit, costing NZ$21.44. They tell me that this part is common to many MB cars 1970-1980.

MB P/N A0009930461.

This is a different P/N from the longer one mentioned by BruceReader > Todd of MPH > P/N 0009918822.

Marty

I haven't looked, but I'd try Blacks Fasteners. http://www.blacksfasteners.co.nz/

I think you will find the members of this group to be tolerant of mild obsessive behavior. For the record, I approve of painting things black.   :ninja:  :ninja:

Welcome

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MB P/N A0009930461.

Marty

As suggested, I tried Volvo Part 946703 ball socket on the RH throttle body. This Volvo Part fits perfectly just as the Mercedes part 0009930461 does. I used the Volvo part instead of the Mercedes part, as it is plastic, and has a groove in it which can retain grease, and catch grit. I now have a spare Mercedes rod end to give away if anyone wants it. PM me.

Then I made a brass bush for LH throttle lever connection to the link rod. The brass insert in the LH throttle body arm was worn enough that the LH throttle opened before the RH throttle and TPS began to move. I bored the brass insert to take a thin wall brass bush made from a section from an old telescopic radio antenna. Now that there is no noticable play in either the LH link or the RH ball & socket, I expect synchronizing will be easier at both idle and higher RPM.

Ta, Marty. Throttle Rod Bush Repair LH Throttle Body.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the repairs Marty made, the linkage on my V11 at 80,000km is very sloppy, to get a consistent idle I use both idle screws, over the winter I will try to find a suitable bush

Links and levers are interesting, there's 3 different adjustments possible, zero (throttle stop), span (length of the lever) and linearity (length of the rod)

In instrumentation 101 we were taught to adjust zero and span then check the mid point for linearity,

adjust the linearity until it's 5 x worse then re-do zero and span, not that this really applies to the V11.

Any other Instrument techs out there?

• 1 month later...

Marty,

Thanks but we have several good sources of brass here, it will be on the back burner for a while as we are getting ready for a trip over your way.

If you see me motor past on an old K100 (the red brick) say Hi

We land in Auckland on Feb 12th, probably take u a week to get down that way.