The last new Ti exhaust kit ever?

k99

Did I just snag the last new titanium exhaust kit ever?! 

-Keith

Great looking mufflers! My bike has a set fitted by a previous owner, and I like the style, sound and performance. But you might be interested to know that the skin of the mufflers is thin and soft. They will dent if you frown at them. You may want to check the fit of the clamps before too long.

When I got my bike, one of the mounting clamps had fallen off, and was missing. It scratched the plastic mudguard as it departed. Looking at the clamp locations on both mufflers, I could see that the Titanium Kit clamps had splayed open, and so the bends pressed onto the muffler skin. This dented and wore the mufflers almost all the way through under the clamps at the top. I decided to make a new clamp, as no-one seemed to have parts for this kit. Then I couldn't find a source of the 10mm rubber extrusion that protects the muffler from damage (it doesn't do a very good job). I found some 12 mm rubber, so I made a pair of clamps with wider straps. I used EPDM rubber extrusion as the surface of these glasspack mufflers seems to stay cool (ish), and I made the clamps from 1mm thick titanium/aluminium/vanadium alloy. The clamps have some springyness to allow the cans to move without denting more. I bolted the clamps using new nylock nuts, so they won't fall off like one of the the originals did. This coming winter I'm going to try the repair suggested by waspp http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13524&hl=titanium

I hope that this helps you to keep your Titanio Kit Mufflers looking nice.

Marty

Titanium Clamps.jpg

• Like 1

Marty - I had a similar problem with the kit mounted by the PO, although mine were in much worse condition and had been shortened by a few inches.

Those are great-looking straps and appear to be an improvement over the ones provided with the kit. I notice that you even cut the rubber bits so they would extend all the way to the junction of the metal straps, which should prevent further wear into the titanium skin.

I have a new Ti kit awaiting installation. What would it take for you to make another set of clamps? Feel free to switch over to private message if you want.

Marty-Scud

I'm curious if either of you are running an aftermarket xover, and if yes are you utilizing the frame hangar bracket for it. There will be much more stress (especially vibes) on the can hangers if this is not used. My mounted FBF xover does not have a frame hanger, but my unmounted Stucci does. It seems ok with the stock cans, as the can brackets are much beefier and the "hang" symmetry is better than the Ti system. When I add my Ti cans, I'm considering using the Stucci (although it's fitment is less friendly) for the bracket, OR welding one on the FBF.

Mine has the stock crossover, but I have an FBF that I intend to put on. I was thinking about having the FBF reinforced, since I've heard about them cracking - maybe an exhaust hanger at the same time... 

Mine also has a stock crossover which is supported by a strong looking rubber isolating mount. It seems reasonable that a crossover without a support would put much greater stress on the muffler clamps.

That strong looking rubber mount is a pu$$y . Mine has been off for a long time.

That would indicate to me, all the more reason to use one, or better one. Especially with the 'seemingly flimsier' Ti hangers.

I've re-attached mine and tried to keep the center exhaust mount in service. I don't care for my exhaust hanging on the header flanges.

• 1 month later...

I have finally gotten around to mounting my Ti kit. I did switch xovers from the FBF to the Stucci so I could utilize the hanger bracket. The Stucci is a pita. Built heavy and very sturdy compared to the FBF, BUT.. it's as if the jig they built it on was crooked. Also, the o.d. of the re-enforced exit end was too big. About 1mm. Dosen't seem like much but none of my mufflers would slide on it. I spent an hour on each one grinding and polishing till they would accept a pipe. The cans don't seem to hang quite right and I haven't tightened everything yet.

Now a brief hang-up, so to speak. The included "instructions" for the Ti kit don't show the order in which the washers go onto the hanging strap. This is important because they did include a warning that (as MartyNZ stated) said strap must be installed with correct alignment, so as to not f-up the can skin. So... anyone know the proper/intended order? There are 3 flat washers supplied per side. One goes on either side of the rubber grommet. Then what.. the strap, another washer and a bolt? Maybe the washer goes inside the strap. Simple enough, but I want to get it right. I did not get the little "Ti Kit" sticker for the ecu, so I'm not confident they gave me the correct amount of washers. I have left over bolts as well.??

P.S. I have the upgraded hanger straps from MartyNZ waiting to go on. I want to get everything snugged up and working as it should with no problems with any bind in the system before using them.

The system is on, sans ecu. 100% of the problem was the Stucci xover. It is not built properly. Up against the stocker and the FBF it was obvious. The left side of it was welded on about 10mm to the rear of the right side, causing the left can to stick out further from the hanger mount point, and farther rearward, and throw out the center frame hanger alignment. I cut 10mm off the left rear to even it out. That, and some shifting on the head pipes, got me within 5/8" of the left can hanger strap being perfect. Since the symmetry was now acceptable, I used a 5/8" spacer at the back of the strap, and all is looking good. I mean looking reeeeeally good. And the sound is glorious.

The bike has a pc3 and was tuned for FBF xover and oem cans. I'm going to ride some before ecu swap. Soak in some of that sweet noise.

Is this a typical problem with the Stucchi x-over? I ask because I've been trying to track one down.

I've read several comments in the past referring to the Stucci as an unfriendly install. Probably why the guy sold it on ebay. (he said it was too loud lol, but didn't look used) But, I have made it work and it's built of a heavier gauge pipe with reinforced outlet ends, and has a hanger bracket. The FBF fit perfectly. If we could get the 2 Mfg's together on building one, it would be nice. The Stucci is also a bit too close together at the inlet ends. I ended up with about a 1/8" clearance at the motor case on the right side and less than 1/16th on the left. I hope it doesn't start to rattle. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed all three of the aftermarket crossovers mentioned here on my bike with MG Ti cans over the years.  All three crossovers were noticeably better than stock.  I have dyno plots that show how the torque dip that was there with the stock crossover at around 43k rpm was eliminated with the FBF crossover.

I bought an FBF new and had a hanger/reinforcing braces welded on top and bottom before getting it ceramic coated to match the rest of my exhaust.  It eventually cracked even with the added bracing.  I attached a picture in case anyone is interested in what I tried.

I installed the Stucchi after that.  I remember that I did have to bend one of the pipes a little to get the cans to line up correctly.  That was a PITA.  After that it was good.

I currently have a Mistral installed because I like the mid range grunt it added at the expense of some high rev power that I had with the Stucchi.  I spend a lot more time below 6k rpm than above.

modified FBF.jpg

• Like 1