Cafe Sport Arrives in SoCal

k99

Well my Cafe Sport finally arrived yesterday.  

IMG_0128_zpsjjgfs87g.jpg

This is the one from Illinois discussed in this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18375&page=15

I took it out for a quick spin today.  Overall it looks to be in pretty nice shape.  Unfortunately the shippers broke off the rear brake lever.  I ordered a new one from Harper's the moment I noticed it, so we'll see how that goes.

IMG_0127_zpsvgzwlt8n.jpg

Otherwise the only thing I noticed wrong is the front crossover pipe being completely loose on one side.  It rattles around like crazy once I get up to speed.  I tried tightening the clamp but it was corroded shut.  I'll try to loosen it up with solvent and give it another shot later.  

I was thinking about just getting new headers (sans front crossover) anyway.  These are looking pretty rough as they are.  Is the front crossover worth keeping?  I understand it is supposed to give more midrange power, but does anyone even notice the difference in the real world?  I saw Todd offers some at GuzziTech and Agostini has a full exhaust kit, or I could just buy OEMs from a previous model.  Obviously I should have pipes nice enough to match these when I install them: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19286

On that note, I will mostly likely sell the exhaust system that came with the bike.  The dealer was no help in identifying them.  He thought they were stock before I told him otherwise.  I think they might be Mistrals but I'm not positive.  If anyone can help identify let me know.  They're in prefect shape and sound great, just not my style.  

I have lots of updates I'll be making to the bike and will be documenting them in this thread.  

Stay tuned,

Keith

• Like 1

the headers oughta be stainless, so they'll clean up pretty good with some spit n polish. 'Flitz' cleaned mine up good, but they'll discolor again. Might think about getting them ceramic coated. I've "heard" if you coat the inside too, they wont discolor.

As far as the crossover goes, I've heard it both ways. I creates balance to the exhaust, but I don't know how it affects performance. An old Norton guru, forget the name, swore the crossover did no good for performance, citing "you don't see any on race bikes". I never cared enough either way to make a change.

Really nice bike btw, good score!

Nice bike!

I have the 2004 Naked with a cross-over that was starting to rattle and move about.

Another owner either here or on WildGuzzi was breaking a 2002 LeMans, so I bought the header pipes. They took quite a bit of cleaning up with a file & then a buffing wheel over a week but they attached with no problem and after the first ride had turned a pale golden colour.

I haven't noticed less performance or any flat spot in the mid range, so I'm pleased with that. What has changed is I can hear the exhaust better. So without having to change my mufflers I have a louder, throatier (sp?) sound. Which has resulted in me riding faster & working with the gears more just to hear that glorious roar!

You are going to have a lot of fun tweeking and adjusting this bike to suit your weight and riding style. With the help of the members here I have just set up the suspension on my bike & it's just as if I got an upgraded machine overnight.

Enjoy. Ask questions & post pictures.

Great bike and it seems like we are going to have ourselves a fun project to watch.  :thumbsup:

Bummer about the brake lever, but the Harper's lever is stronger, so that's an upgrade.

You're going to love the Ti exhaust and I'll reinforce that there is no need to keep the front crossover - I ditched it on my '03 LeMans by having the cross-pipe holes welded closed, but I have a used set of headers from an '02 bike waiting to on with my new Ti exhaust and rear crossover.

One of my favorite, although completely unnecessary, modifications to my Scura is the carbon fiber belly pan from Ghezzi-Brian.

One of my favorite, although completely unnecessary, modifications to my Scura is the carbon fiber belly pan from Ghezzi-Brian.

That reminds me, I was actually going to ask you about that, Scud.  Saw some photos of your bike and really liked the belly pan.  One more item to add to my list then.  Hopefully I can find one!

On the headers/exhaust subject, I ended up ordering the replacements from GuzziTech.  People seem to say good things about them and Todd has always done me right with my other bikes.  Ceramic coating is something I am seriously considering for them.  I also ordered a Mistral crossover from MGCycle.  (and of course the shift return spring... just in case)

Looks like it was a year ago, per this thread (which has prices in it):

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18778&page=2

The Euro has weakened against the dollar since that time. Rox & Keith should get together and share shipping costs from Italy to SoCal. FYI - G&B takes PayPal now (a year ago you had to do a wire transfer).

K99,

Small world! I just bought the identical bike, 2004 V11 Le Mans Cafe Sport, early this week in Santa Clarita and trailered it to my home in Richmond in the SF Bay area. Same color combo, 11K mikes and I also have an almost identical gouge in the right frame member above the foot rest! Not sure if it came from a riders boot or if some one got clumsy with the factory rear stand. We had a break in the weather so I was finally able to to take it out for a spin around town and guess what? It's different from the 2006 Multistrada it replaced! Feels like an adult version of my 1978 Le Mans I, so this old man's pretty happy. It has the stock exhaust but came with a set of Ferraci carbon slip-ons

which I may put on one of these days just to see how loud they are.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride!

:thumbsup:

01313_at6yC54yFSU_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

K99,

Small world! I just bought the identical bike, 2004 V11 Le Mans Cafe Sport, early this week in Santa Clarita and trailered it to my home in Richmond in the SF Bay area. Same color combo, 11K mikes and I also have an almost identical gouge in the right frame member above the foot rest! Not sure if it came from a riders boot or if some one got clumsy with the factory rear stand. We had a break in the weather so I was finally able to to take it out for a spin around town and guess what? It's different from the 2006 Multistrada it replaced! Feels like an adult version of my 1978 Le Mans I, so this old man's pretty happy. It has the stock exhaust but came with a set of Ferraci carbon slip-ons

Jazzamoto..... Congrats on the new and beautiful Goose! Excellent choice. And welcome to the forum!

K99,

Oh, that's interesting.  We actually discussed that bike a little bit in this thread. 

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18375&page=15

I was wondering who ended up with it. Seemed like a great deal.  Good to know someone on here is enjoying it.  

Fixed!

IMG_0131_zpstrmztt94.jpg

I'm actually really happy with the look and build quality of the new brake lever.  Makes me want to replace the perfectly adequate shift lever on the other side just to have a matching set.  Of course that side looks a little tricker to remove.

Now I just need to find some matching touch up paint to fix that scrape mark.  Not sure I want to remove the whole porkchop to replace/refinish it.