Cafe Sport Arrives in SoCal

k99

Really interesting that the later (2003-2004) "naked" still had fork mounted lamps and instruments, no?

(While the Café Sport / Ballabio / Coppa Italia all had the frame mounted kit placed well forward, I had long thought the fork mounts were gone after 2001, but not so is it?))

Really interesting that the later (2003-2004) "naked" still had fork mounted lamps and instruments, no?

(While the Café Sport / Ballabio / Coppa Italia all had the frame mounted kit placed well forward, I had long thought the fork mounts were gone after 2001, but not so is it?))

Well, as some have observed, MG do on occasions have a look at what they have left on their storeroom shelves. Cobble a new version of a current model together and release it to the masses with a fancy paint job and new name.

For clip-ons you can add nice adjustable Convertibars. Look up my old posts on how it looks on Ballabio that I have converted to LeMans. Still looks as clip-ons but could be raised as high as the handlebar. If you need Convertibars let me know. Actually I just finished converting my Coppa Italia into LeMans Coppa. And I replaced my regular handlebar with Convertibars.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the exhaust parts to return I added a set of these this weekend.

IMG_0152_zpsezz0hshl.jpg

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Moto-Guzzi/V11-Cafe/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Cafe-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html

I was surprised by how much a mere 1in drop changes your leg position.  Very comfortable.  These are much larger than the stock pegs and add more room for your feet.  The only problem I have with the design, as you can see in the picture, they force your feet further apart.  I have to point my toes inward to shift or brake.  Especially difficult if you are wearing large boots.  I had a few missed shifts on my test ride yesterday.

Foot pegs are easy to pop on and off so I will probably switch back and forth between these and the stock pegs to see which position I like better.  In the future I may try another aftermarket peg, but at the stock height (no drop).

The exhaust parts came back from Jet-Hot today.  Looks like I've got a fun project for the weekend.

IMG_0155_zpsfoyverxy.jpg

Here is a before and soon to be after side by side comparison.  

IMG_0154_zpsqmyx9fnh.jpg

• Like 3

...those came out great!  Can't wait to see photos.  Please share how the installation of the Mistral X-overs went and the feel/sound difference.  Was there a X-over installed before?  Thanks, Bob..

I got everything installed and took it up to Idyllwild for a test ride today.  Take a look.

IMG_0158_zpsts4sfhgi.jpg

IMG_0157_zpsq9s0k8px.jpg

In terms of performance I did not notice too much difference.  It does rev a little smoother.  I think I still need to adjust the idle though.  It stalled when coming to a full stop a couple times.

The main thing I noticed was the difference in sound.  I am extremely picky when it comes to exhaust notes.  I can honestly say this it the most beautiful sounding exhaust of any vehicle I have ever heard.  Needless to say I am very happy with the results.  

• Like 3

So after following this thread I have an idea that I'll put out to you more computer savvy than me. We have a photo gallery, how hard would it be for say K99 to include a soundfile ? So we can all hear how sweet his exhayst is ?

Looking great! The pipes go well with the rest of the bike.  And it was a lovely day for a ride in SoCal today... Roads to and from Idyllwild never disappoint. I took a guy from Austria on a loop through there and he said the riding was as good as in the Alps - in part due to the condition of the roads, such as miles of perfectly banked ascending curves on 74 from Banning... daydreaming...

We're getting enough SoCal members to hold a V11 rally... and I'm eager to get an in-person look at those pipes from Jet-Hot.   :P:

I should record my "sawed off" Ti pipes on my LeMans, then compare to the new set after I install. Uploading video would be easy for anyone who knows how to use YouTube - just post the link here.

We have a photo gallery, how hard would it be for say K99 to include a soundfile ? So we can all hear how sweet his exhayst is ?

Uploading a video to YouTube and posting the link here wouldn't be much of a problem.  Setting up a good recording is the tough part.  I think we've all seen those, less than spectacular, exhaust demo clips recorded on phones.  Then on the other side, I doubt most people's computer speakers would do it justice.  I may get around to it someday though.  

We're getting enough SoCal members to hold a V11 rally... and I'm eager to get an in-person look at those pipes from Jet-Hot.    :P:

I'm up for a little V11 SoCal gathering.  Just don't make me ride through LA traffic!

beautiful! more pics would not bother me a bit! ass end please  ;)

I will be sure to add a few more in the near future.

K99, is the color of the wheels stock Scura?

As far as I know, these are the stock wheels.  This is a Cafe Sport and not a Scura though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So while I am waiting for the exhaust system to get coated I will fill you guys in on the next two projects for my bike.  Thoughts and advice appreciated.

1) Remove that ugly "goose neck" and mount the headlight/fairing/dash proper.  I've been scouring Harper's parts diagrams of the '02 bikes to figure out what needs to be purchased to accomplish this.  I am also deciding on whether to keep the fairing and have it mounted like a Scura, or get a bigger headlight and go the naked route.  I have seen others mention projects like this before, but nothing in detail.  The modification seems simple enough, but any knowledge, experience, warnings on this effort would help.

2) I find the handle bars put me in an awkward half-way position.  I think a bike like this really needs clip-ons for proper ergonomics. Plus it would just look better.  I have found quite a few sets for 54mm forks that I like.  The question would be to go with aftermarket or a stock set from a LeMans.  I would also have to consider mounting above or below the triple tree.  After measuring I only have 21mm of usable fork space above the triple tree.  I would most likely have to adjust the fork height to mount from above.  Can I assume pushing the forks up a centimeter or so would not affect the bike too much?

Hi, check this member gallery     http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showuser=6773

K99, if you find the parts to convert the front headlight/fairing mount to bring it closer in, I'd sure like to know the part numbers.  It's something I've considered doing to my Cafe Sport as well.