Cafe Sport Arrives in SoCal

k99

Hey guys, sorry it has been I while since I have posted any updates on my bike.  I've slowly been building up a to-do list for sorting it out that might have just recently gone beyond my abilities.  Too many fun bikes in the garage have made me choose riding over wrenching during my free time.  

I noticed a slow oil leak that has increased a bit lately.  I dismantled the exhaust system to get a closer look.  It's dripping directly onto the crossover.  The stock crossover that I replaced when the bike first arrived, suspiciously had burnt oil on top of it.  At the time I didn't think much of it, but it might have been the reason for the previous owner trading it in.  There is a fair amount of black oil but also drops of oil that seem to have a greenish tint collecting at the bottom of the transmission cage.  Could just be the LED flashlight I'm using making it look green though.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to send out a big thank you to all the folks on this forum and the V11 community as a whole.  

I finally had the time to give my Café Sport its first thorough "Decent Tune-up".  I was amazed at the difference.  It was running well enough before so I never thought to change anything.  The instructions, parts, tools, software and advice posted on this forum were such a huge help.  I'm glad I took the time to get my bike running even better than ever, and I appreciate the efforts of all who have contributed to this community over the years.

A few other things I have done since my original posts:

• "Solved" my assumed old leak.  Turns out the shop simply added too much oil.  It spit the excess out and would drip down on hot summer days.  I gave the undercarriage a thorough cleaning and not a drop since.  Steady oil level as well.
  • Fixed a problem with it stalling when pulling the clutch in while coming to a stop.  I noticed some soot forming at the exhaust pipe joints.  Obvious sign of an exhaust leak, possibly causing low back pressure.  I disassembled the exhaust system, ground off the ceramic coating at the joints and reinstalled.  Not only was the stalling problem solved but the whole exhaust system fits better and tucks up even more tightly than before.
  • I did the high idle to seat latch spring swap.  Now the high idle lever is actually usable!  Such a good tip.
  • Omron relays added as preventative maintenance.  Figured I'd buy them while they're still available.

All in all the bike is running stronger than ever.  Now I just need to get my Centauro running this well.  I fear that wish will be a bit more challenging. 

Thanks again everyone and until next time,

Keith

• Like 2