What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

As a way to, perhaps vicariously, gather the gumption to refit the Sport's *front end*, I seized upon this glorious phrase:

:food: "impossibly luscious" :thumbsup:

Good to see the drought got "mostly" taken care of with the latest storms!  Green and beautiful, no more parched hillsides in Cali!

Technically we are still in a drought on the central coast so water usage is still limited but the hills do look fabulous for now!

Off with the old tires:

Angel GT on front went 6,300 miles and the tread was flush to the wear bars - probably could have put a few more miles on it.

Metzeler Sportec M3 went 3,300 miles - this new tire came "free" with my parts bike. It wore very quickly at the end, which I'm sure had nothing to do with my last ride... :whistle:  However, I won't use another of those on the V11. This "supersport" tire has a very thin sidewall - the benefit is that it came off the rim easily - but I think it's meant for lighter sportbikes.

Installed an angled valve stem on the back (already had one on the front)

Used my wheel balancer to find (and mark) the heavy spot on both rims. the back was 90-degrees away from the valve stem, and the front about 30 degrees away.

Installed a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s - lining the yellow dots up at the H marks resulted in very little weight being needed to balance the wheel. And Chuck - I took the top arm off the Harbor Freight tire changer - so much easier that way.

IMG_5924.jpg

the benefit is that it came off the rim easily - but I think it's meant for lighter sportbikes.

That was the easiest tire to mount I've ever done. :oldgit: Now, I see what those guys at the bike shows that are hawking tire changers are using. They make it look so easy because it is. :grin:

the benefit is that it came off the rim easily - but I think it's meant for lighter sportbikes.

That was the easiest tire to mount I've ever done. :oldgit: Now, I see what those guys at the bike shows that are hawking tire changers are using. They make it look so easy because it is. :grin:

That M3 practically jumped off the rim - almost no effort required. But getting the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3 on the rim required nearly my entire vocabulary and constantly jamming the bead back down into the middle of the wheel. Dunlop is claiming to beat Michelin PR4's mileage - and it looks like a really good tire. Rode it to work today.  :race:

Chuck - what do you use to hold the bead down and prevent it from creeping back up as you work around the tire? I just started using the Motion Pro Trail Bead Buddy that I carry in my dirt-bike tool kit. Works better than wedging a tire iron in - but I imagine that you have worked out a trick that I would like to know about...

Chuck - what do you use to hold the bead down and prevent it from creeping back up as you work around the tire? I just started using the Motion Pro Trail Bead Buddy that I carry in my dirt-bike tool kit. Works better than wedging a tire iron in - but I imagine that you have worked out a trick that I would like to know about...

Uhh, on particularly onerous tires, I wrap a piece of leather on the rim and a 1 inch C clamp. That Dunlop probably qualifies. I doubt that you'll need air in it. :whistle: 

Thanks Chuck. The Trail Bead Buddy (less than $10) is basically a tiny clamp - but it has a soft screw so you don't need to wrap it in leather. It worked a treat on my knobbies recently so I gave it a try on the street tires and it worked - although it did break through a section of the rim tape (sticker) on the front wheel. (BTW, I like Ru-Glyde for lubing the bead and the Mojo Lever.) 

And yeah, the Dunlop is sturdy. I think it took even more effort to install than the Pirelli Angel GT. And it made the crispest "two-pop" I've ever heard when the air pressure forced the bead up onto the rim. By contrast, I can fold the sidewall of the Metzeler M3 in one hand.

All the Italian bikes have fresh tires now, and the German one can wait. There's some sort of political joke in there somewhere...

Scud- Looking forward to a report on how the new shoes handle in the rain. Im going to need a new set before I head out on an upcoming trip with the Norge.  Our trip will be up the Blue Ridge Parkway and work our way over into Maine.  Lots of mountains and I am willing to bet money we will see wet roads.

Jerry

Continued with corrosion control on the Mighty Scura. Liberally sprayed aerokroil all over and let it sit over night. Tapped on all the fasteners with my copper hammer and sprayed it again. Everything just about fell apart. :thumbsup:

33285273086_8c193c8181_c.jpg2017-03-08_12-12-31 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Looks as if I caught this just in time.

32514236923_4abf364009_c.jpg2017-03-08_03-18-16 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Made up a hard aluminum shoe and stuck it on with Metal set A4. We'll see how that turns out after curing overnight.

Scud- Looking forward to a report on how the new shoes handle in the rain. 

Don't hold your breath...

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 7.01.30 PM.png

You might have to rely on some moto-journalists for that rain-ride report.

Weather man in Sandy Eggo.. "Look out the window. Sunny and 70? It'll be that tomorrow."  :) That job's about as close to stealin as it gets.

Ok, here's the repaired sidestand. The file is called a Vixen file..they are used for aluminum to keep from loading up (pinning) the teeth.

32501753424_142d0befdc_c.jpg2017-03-09_12-50-40 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

This is a file card. It's used to keep files from pinning. :) If you keep your files clean, they'll last a lifetime.

32530510183_d242ba88fa_c.jpg2017-03-09_12-50-30 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

That pretty much does it. Everything back together, 6years of rust and corrosion at bay.

32530507413_c5d7fd72e8_c.jpg2017-03-09_12-50-15 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Nice day today, 55f, and not blowing 50 like it was yesterday. :o Kicked the tires and lit the fires. Hoo wee! New tires, serviced forks and steering head bearings transformed it from "Hmmm, wonder what is wrong.. it feels a little strange :rasta: to Yowzaa!

• Like 1

Looking good Chuck. I like the black alternator cover.  :ninja:

I think there's room for those rubber hoses behind the starter cover (in the molded channels).

The red suspenders (straps) seem appropriate...  :mg:

And keep pointing out shop tips like the file card as you think of them.  :thumbsup: