What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Stumble,

Interested in hearing what you do with the suspension. What do you weigh in at ?

I'm about 210 with gear.

I'm going to have a talk with my suspension guy on Tuesday now that I have a clear idea where sag is. I might either replace both springs with a 10.0N/mm or just use an 11N/mm in one fork and leave the stock one in the other. I'll see what he says. 

Capture.JPGCould have celebrated the incipient milestone on the commute to work earlier this week, but was  a lot more fun sport riding in a most gentlemenly manner today....

• Like 2

Today I spooned on a new rear Angel GT. Also replaced the wheel bearings as the brake side was feeling rough. Greased the drive shaft as well.

I'm considering finally adding a luggage rack to this machine. I'd hate to diminish the considerable looks of the bike but I could use more utility. Having to wear a backpack really gets old.

Antiquar - Do you have a tank-bag? How about a bag that straps to the passenger seat?

I think I'm going to make a Phoenix run Monday with a tank bag (holding most of the weight) and a lightweight backpack, including hydration pack for the desert crossing.

Antiquar - Do you have a tank-bag? How about a bag that straps to the passenger seat?

I think I'm going to make a Phoenix run Monday with a tank bag (holding most of the weight) and a lightweight backpack, including hydration pack for the desert crossing.

No, I'd forgotten about tank bags, having never owned one. Definitely something to look at. What tank bag are you using on your V11(s)?

Good luck on that desert crossing. I've got a hydration pak for my Kriega backpack--it's literally a lifesaver. 

IMG_6947.jpg

I got this Moto Guzzi tank bag with the Greenie. It's been a while since I used one and I forgot how convenient they can be. There are lots of other options out there though. This one has a big expansion zipper, which I am taking full advantage of.

In the tank bag, I have an LCD projector and speaker (wrapped in a motorcycle cover), some tools that wouldn't fit under the seat, a pair of sandals, and some clothes. I'll keep my phone and a basic map under the plastic window. I still need to carry a computer, dress shoes and few other things in a backpack with my water, but that won't be too much weight.

It's less than a 6 hour ride, unless I take the twistiest way... which, of course, I will. But there's no escaping at least 100 miles of slab in 100-degree "dry" heat. So I'm gonna get rolling before sunrise to try to beat the worst of the heat. And I have to push a bit past Phoenix, to Scottsdale.

Today I found the limits of cornering clearance... at least around left hand turns.

36295691644_4060cb0bac_o.jpg

That is pathognomonic for a look at your sags and springs. My sidestand has not touched since the suspension/sags/springs were made right.

• Like 1

A little maintenance this weekend. 

Replaced the left switch cluster, the high beam switch had quit working.  The replacement switch has the horn and turn signal buttons in the "correct" place vs. the original (yea!).  However, Luigi decided to move the dimple from the original position, so I had to re-drill the handlebar. The bar is butter soft aluminum, so easy peasy.

Also replaced the regulator with an Electrosport ESR515. Essentially plug and play, except the plug connectors were very loose.  I crimped them out of round a bit so they will stay snug.  Added a nice thick ground wire from the other bolt back to the battery.  Used star washers under the ring terminals at the regulator.

A couple of gas tank Q's for the collective wisdom -

I couldn't get the manual petcock to completely close, the tank kept dripping gas.  Is there a rubber washer or something that needs to be replaced?

Also, under the tank, there's 2 fittings that look like brake bleeder screws.  Is that the drain for the around the cap area?  Do they get a hose?

Wondering where did you get your switch from? I don't like the switches being in the wrong place either. I ride multiple bikes and I always have to think before using the signals or I will hit the horn button.

Those fittings, one is for the drain in the cap area and the other is the tank vent which goes through the cap into the little grommet and down through a hose to that fitting. Don't remember which is which but it's easy to check. Some people tee them together and run a hose down below the engine/trans. The bad thing doing that is that your tipover valve is gone and if the bike ends up sliding across the pavement you can have gas coming out and a potential fireball. But the tipover valves cause problems too.