What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Looks nice !

How did you fill and repaint the deepened area ?

Was this Q for me? No fill or paint, just a LOT of Goo Gone and careful removal of a rather significant layer of adhesive. Would have been great if adhesive had come off with vinyl grip pads, but no such luck.

Wheels off to be powder coated so today I serviced the back end of the bike, doing the full wheels off inspection checklist and pulling the swing arm and drive shaft to grease everything up. Found nothing nasty anywhere and it's all back together now, lubed up and sparkly clean. First time I've pulled one apart and I have to say it's a nice bike to work on

It is a fun bike to take apart and reassemble... having done so on more than one occasion myself. While you're up front, consider lubing the steering bearings. It seems they didn't always get enough grease at the factory.

I guessed that might be the case, there was no grease on the axles or on any of the pivots/linkages. Seems like the factory ran out of grease the week my bike got built

I guessed that might be the case, there was no grease on the axles or on any of the pivots/linkages. Seems like the factory ran out of grease the week my bike got built

They have been out of grease since the 80s..no doubt an economy move by DeTomaso.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a transmission mount from Don Moomaw @ Motiv Cycleworks, OK. (405)-641-1801. He has more for sale, so call him up if you need one.

Had to remove the entire RH throttle body etc. to get in there, but it's fitted and tightened up. A little insurance against a cracked transmission case.

Now chasing an oil leak that sprayed all over the pork chops. I found one coming from the valve cover gasket, so I decided to change the gaskets, as I had a pair.

Well, the old gaskets had hardened to a flakey concrete-like consistency, and had fused to the aluminum head. So, a 30 minute job is now in hour 3, and I still have the left side to do.

Moto Guzzi: The Gift That Keeps On Taking ! 

I expect my original 106,000+ mile valve cover gaskets (not leaking) are simply part of the heads now and I should just layer on another set if the occasion ever arises . . .

Kinda like roofing an old house in The South (US). :grin:

I have discovered at least one stripped 5mm hole in the head where the valve cover bolt goes in. So, it is breaking faster than I can fix it.

It does explain the leak though, as it was coming from that corner where the bolt was stripped and torque was weak.

Time Sert M5 kit ordered.....it has 5 inserts, so if I discover another one.......

I will say, if you are doing valves, replace the gaskets every time.

They are cheap, and when they get too old they literally fuse onto the head and take hours to remove. Literally.

• Like 1

My Scura is weeping a bit at the RH valve cover. I'm hoping to address that tomorrow, along with installing a very special shift spring, which I received from Chuck a couple weeks ago. Then the spring will need some "real world" testing.  :race:

• Like 1

I've gone this season with these:

https://realgaskets.com/product-category/motorcycle/moto-guzzi/

No leaks, but the recommended installation torques for the sump are pretty low. Had to buy a new torque wrench that I felt could do it reasonably accurately.

Doing off season maintenance at the moment. We'll see how re-useable they in fact are!

I've gone this season with these:

https://realgaskets.com/product-category/motorcycle/moto-guzzi/

No leaks, but the recommended installation torques for the sump are pretty low. Had to buy a new torque wrench that I felt could do it reasonably accurately.

Doing off season maintenance at the moment. We'll see how re-useable they in fact are!

I bought three sets for the valve covers on the EV and the Sport.  I think I have ruined three of them and am running one bike with one and one.

I ordered some of those double thick paper gaskets, maybe I'll have better luck? 

They are the standard thing for leaking Lycoming and Continental cheesy stamped valve covers. They are just snugged up with a screwdriver, no torque wrench needed or wanted.