What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Flat battery my arse! Charged up on the optimate double quick... back to the bike, ignition, relay click, pump primes, neutral light on.... nowt! Hmmmmmm, what the hell? Fuses check, relays swapped, same result.. Damnit i’m baffled... head scratcher indeed!

Then i members... i pulled the feed to the starter last week for easier replacement of the gearshifter... haa! And doh! And vrooomm!

Every day’s a soap opera....

• Like 1

That’s called “character” you pay extra for that.

Pop Quiz:

What has more character?

A ) A modded V11 LeMans with a Chianti cork for a timing-mark inspection plug.

B )  A snowed-in, nicley massaged, vintage 2-stroke Yamaha.

C ) The guy who has both these things.

Answer: * obvious* . . . :grin:

• Like 1

I think I'm not going to be feeling the love when she needs new cam drive belts (recommended new belts every 12,000 miles). There's a lot of crap in the way before you can get to those (on right side of bike, and not pictured). I like the cam chain in the V11 - or better yet, the gears in earlier Guzzi engines.  The Duc is leaking some coolant - so she's gonna sit and wait for new hoses.

Doc - I'm pretty sure I have some of those special pinch bolts in a spare driveshaft - or at least I could pull one out of the champagne LeMans for you. You just need one?  Is that all that's keeping her down right now?

The cam drive belts are a piece of piss scud, a man of your tallents will find it easy. The covers and stuff come off pretty easy after you get the F$#+_&îng fairing off. Just note the tension on the old belts before you remove the tension pully and set the same with the new belts. There is a special tensioning tool for the old engines and a fancy shmancy acoustic tool for the later bikes ( I kid you not, you tension the belt and give it a pluck and the tool measures the frequency) some use a guitar tuner but I still do it by feel. One way is to slide an allen wrench between the belt and tensioner bearing like a feeler gauge. a 6mm one with a moderate amount of drag for the ST2 from memory. 

Just line up the dot jackshaft pully with the groove on the clutch housing and then make your own markes on the cam pullies. Very easy.

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Phil - I had to look up Australian slang meaning of piece of piss (something easy to do). We don't use that phrase in the US, but a "pisser" is usually something annoying or difficult.

Thanks Phil - I had to look up Australian slang meaning of piece of piss (something easy to do). We don't use that phrase in the US, but a "pisser" is usually something annoying or difficult.

Just trying to educate you guys:)

Ciao

• Like 2

I'm just now taking the preselector off the Mighty Scura, and for whatever reason, it's a pisser.   :)   I'm about ready to take a special removal tool, cleverly disguised as a Craftsman screwdriver sharpened on the end.  :ninja: to the parting line. The only thing I had laying around when I did the Lucky Phil mod was Aviation permatex. Maybe it's better glue that I thought.

Chuck - find a stubby crescent wrench... maybe 12 or 13 mm... wedge it on the right of the cover where there is a cast "outcropping" to get some leverage and sort of roll it to get the first bit free. The crescent wrench (spanner) acts like a hook. Piece of piss (australian meaning). 

Well yesterday for shits and giggles, I went out to shop, -22degC, looked at the guzzi pining for warmer weather, and figured I`d see if the old girl would start, key on, throttle advance maxed, pushed the button and....... varoooom, fired right up with no hesitation at all, and its been a while, probably 2-3 before I tore into the rear end, back in October? maybe.

Luv this bike.

Well yesterday for shits and giggles, I went out to shop, -22degC, looked at the guzzi pining for warmer weather, and figured I`d see if the old girl would start, key on, throttle advance maxed, pushed the button and....... varoooom, fired right up with no hesitation at all, and its been a while, probably 2-3 before I tore into the rear end, back in October? maybe.

Luv this bike.

I've had the Mighty Scura sitting for as much as 10 months when it was out in California.. :) Started right up.

Now for the lecture.  :oldgit: It's not a good idea to start an air cooled engine in cold weather if you are not going to bring it up to operating temperature. It will cause a *boatload* of condensation.. internal rust. I always preheat aircraft engines to boot when it is near or below freezing. :2c:

• Like 2

Incidentally, it’s the shite fuel sitting in all the gubbins that worries me most about extended lay-ups- gum ere, gum theyre, fuel tank getting even bigger than it already is.....-