What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Looks like fun. The bracket and studs on the spine are for an external fuel filter - they serve no purpose if you have an internal fuel pump and filter. I don't know what the extra wire harness connector is (was) for.

It truly is a labor of love...not nearly as intensive as your endeavors...

leroysch, can you get a look at the wire colors to that connector?

Orange, orange, red w/black(blue(?)) stripe, black

Surprising amount of corrosion on/about the relays...

20180121_134637%5B1%5D.jpg

20180121_134726%5B1%5D.jpg

Have the Omrons at the ready...interesting difference in two of the spades' width

20180121_135307%5B1%5D.jpg

Greased the clutch switch bullet connectors by the frame neck (LH side), was able to make out most of the crankcase breather once I stopped relying on the parts manual depiction. Need to take the airbox completely off to visualize it completely...I stopped at replacing the filter...found that one of the screws holding a side panel on went MIA. Surprisingly, sourced those M5 flat nylon washers online from WalMart for cheap..with free shipping.

• Like 1

Good finds! Totally clean those connections with a good electronics cleaner like CRG Electronics Cleaner and brush them out, tighten if necessary.

Apply a good conduction promoter and sealant like Caig DeOxit Gold. 

That and proper High Current OMRON relays will serve you well! :thumbsup:

I think I'm not going to be feeling the love when she needs new cam drive belts (recommended new belts every 12,000 miles). There's a lot of crap in the way before you can get to those (on right side of bike, and not pictured). I like the cam chain in the V11 - or better yet, the gears in earlier Guzzi engines. The Duc is leaking some coolant - so she's gonna sit and wait for new hoses.

Doc - I'm pretty sure I have some of those special pinch bolts in a spare driveshaft - or at least I could pull one out of the champagne LeMans for you. You just need one? Is that all that's keeping her down right now?

The cam drive belts are a piece of piss scud, a man of your tallents will find it easy. The covers and stuff come off pretty easy after you get the F$#+_&îng fairing off. Just note the tension on the old belts before you remove the tension pully and set the same with the new belts. There is a special tensioning tool for the old engines and a fancy shmancy acoustic tool for the later bikes ( I kid you not, you tension the belt and give it a pluck and the tool measures the frequency) some use a guitar tuner but I still do it by feel. One way is to slide an allen wrench between the belt and tensioner bearing like a feeler gauge. a 6mm one with a moderate amount of drag for the ST2 from memory.

Just line up the dot jackshaft pully with the groove on the clutch housing and then make your own markes on the cam pullies. Very easy.

Ciao

Update.. a friend was tuning his belts with a mobile phone app. For memory its 110hz but on mine I used a 5mm allen key..

Here's a couple of extras points between the ducati and guzzi donks (engines).

Valve tappet clearances... wait till u need on the ducati. They're critical clearances. Hard to get to and expensive.

Ya all know how difficult the guzzi is.

The clutch will go on the ducati about 80k. They're an aluminum basket and they develop deep grooves making the clutch rattle louder and louder. Replace with a Barnett billet clutch basket that has stainless tongue covers to limit wear.

The heads often wear guides around 80k too. Quoted here at around $1200 for valves , guides and machining. ST3 would be more.

That's about the worst.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Took her in for the MOT today- she’s been laid up after sliding down the road in October:

‘It’s a write off i’m afraid sir’

‘Not while i have my strength it isn’t!”

Quickest mot ever. ‘No problems there- all perfect- it’s a nice machine’.

So i’ve spent most of the day riding about in the p*ss*ng rain, chuckling at the fruity rort from the lovely carbon mistral cans.

Write off indeed... how dare you...

• Like 5

Took her in for the MOT today- she’s been laid up after sliding down the road in October:

‘It’s a write off i’m afraid sir’

‘Not while i have my strength it isn’t!”

Quickest mot ever. ‘No problems there- all perfect- it’s a nice machine’.

So i’ve spent most of the day riding about in the p*ss*ng rain, chuckling at the fruity rort from the lovely carbon mistral cans.

Write off indeed... how dare you...

good job stewgnu. .............. "fruity rort" indeed!  Beautifully expressed.

You suck, Scud..  :angry2:  

:)

I did suck down a cold can of apricot nectar at the top of the mountain while talking with the Ducati and Aprilia guys (animals?)... Geese, Ducks, and Apes... and various other American, Japanese, and German bikes on top of the mountain today. Then I visited some other tight and twisties... Couser Canyon... West Lilac... Olive Hill...  and saw a lot of EXTREME FIRE DANGER signs and flags on this hot and windy day.  Gotta slog to LAX at 0-dark thirty tomorrow.  The K75s gets freeway duty and airport parking duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to the garage... made sure its still there.  Went back inside.  Grumble.

me too, sans grumble....

IMG_0513.JPG

Hahaa! The subtle Reveal!! Niiiiiiice!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1