What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

5 hours ago, docc said:

Ninety-nine times of a hundred, my FIAMM have been to change the attitude of chasing dogs. Somehow, the factory squeakers are a "come-on!" for their delights.

You know docc when I first got my drivers licence in the 70's avoiding dogs on the road was a routine occurrence and then the councils everywhere cracked down on having them properly housed and restrained. I've remarked to people a few times over the last few years about this, generally when you see the very unusual sight of a dog wandering about free. A very rare event these days here.

Back in the 70's a friend just down the road used to ride a green frame Ducati 750SS to work every day (after he managed to get it started) and the next door neighbours dog with its starting attempt pre warning would be laying in wait for its scamper down the drive way which was perpendicular to the street and the peal off at the end to intercept on a parallel course to the Duke. More than once the mutt misjudged the hard turn required and the whole show got very fraught for both parties.

Ciao     

• Like 1

Dog Story. 

We used to live about 3 1/2 miles out of town and away from Jr Hi School.  So rather than ride the bus, I would ride my bicycle.  On the corner, about a mile away, our neighbors had a couple of German Shepherds that loved to chase cars.  So when I rode the bike, they would get in my way.  I would stop to avoid crashing into them and walk the bike.  I finally learned, just don't slow down and keep going.  They'd bark and chase and give up just like chasing a car.  Of course I had to go around the corner quickly and not stop at the stop sign.  When I got my Honda Scrambler 90, it was no problem.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, docc said:

A friend has an old Honda owners manual that advises, "Beware of dogs making sport in the roadway." :grin:

Ha! I love the old Honda rider manuals. My dads friend had a '60's 160 dream, the manual said if you avoided proper maintenance, it would "chase you from riding further"

Love dogs too

and horns

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, docc said:

A friend has an old Honda owners manual that advises, "Beware of dogs making sport in the roadway." :grin:

When you're 14 and riding  to Jr Hi, it can be a challenge.  But if you've already conquered them on a 26 inch 3 speed bicycle, not a problem.

:bike:

5 hours ago, footgoose said:

Ha! I love the old Honda rider manuals. My dads friend had a '60's 160 dream, the manual said if you avoided proper maintenance, it would "chase you from riding further"

Love dogs too

and horns

The Italians were the masters. Who could forget the classic Ducati owners manual warning of "never start a cold motorcycle" Maybe they  expected a big burner under the crankcases Ice racing style.

Ciao

• Haha 3

Over the last two days I scratched around and installed a relay at the end of the starter solenoid wire . I attached a larger automotive relay to the battery tray and ran my B+ from the battery through a fuse holder ( 20a) to the relay . Grounded the  - to a 10mm bolt at the rear of the tank . The feed wire to the solenoid connection . The original solenoid wire energizes the new relay  and  the current goes through the larger relay . This will stop all relay problems and taxing the factory wiring and connections .  I have done this a lot on equipment with Lucas starters that burn up neutral switches , solenoids , etc. 

P.S. I used 16 ga wire to go from the battery to relay and relay to solenoid . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got to ride the Lemans today after a month. She was pissed. Typical Italian qualms. Hard start, let out a drop of oil from the crank, then when I went off the speedo danced for a mile. After that mile though she got over it and hammered the Tucson hills. Never let a V11 sit. Vindictive lil b!tch...🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Umm, I bought another one.

The good friend who sold me his champagne lemans, dropped a few hints that he thought he may want it back. That was sort of our deal, where he got my beloved cagiva Gran Canyon and I got his beloved V11. But swapping back someday was a protected option.
I’m always looking at what’s out there for sale, being a typical Motörhead, and found a nice looking V11 in OK (from David, who I think is on this forum). Has the dropped foot pegs, which intrigues me, and some of the other common-good mods, but I’ll likely pick up a mistral crossover, and a couple other odds and ends this winter for it.

First, a long ride back from OK to OR to be figured...
My buddy who’s getting his champagne lemans back from me has volunteered for some or all of the ride. I love a good buy-and-ride, but the V11 is slightly tortuous for my 6’3”+ frame (and a messed up shoulder, etc), so am spooked by the thought of 30+ hrs of riding it. We’ll see how it plays out.

I’ve done that ride, more or less, a few times over the years, and have always had a great time, just barely beating the jaws of mother nature’s season change in October (week before was 70’s, in the 50-60’s for me, then rain and cold the week after I went through). Will see how this goes.

• Like 1