What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

These are all the many tasks I aspire to tackle and complete on my Scura, but admittedly get "scurred" away because I'm not licensed in any state to practice internal medicine. Installed Pressure Angle's Roper Plate with the gasket assist from SwooshDave after meticulously cleaning everything out and replacing the filter. Now have the rear wheel off under the impression that I'm actually going to go tackle the clutch plate inspection, but balked at it once I realized that a couple of MG specific tools will need to be purchased in order to do so AND that the manual says to remove the engine. Heck, it's only nuts and bolts, right? Then I see this post and figure that if we're going to 3rd base on the first date we might as well steal home.

One area of initial concern is the gearing on the rear wheel. First time I've ever pulled one off and can see metal shavings in the grease along the gear splines.  I'll get a picture tonight and try to add it here.

Edited by roktbox
spelling
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, roktbox said:

These are all the many tasks I aspire to tackle and complete on my Scura, but admittedly get "scurred" away because I'm not licensed in any state to practice internal medicine. Installed Pressure Angle's Roper Plate with the gasket assist from SwooshDave after meticulously cleaning everything out and replacing the filter. Now have the rear wheel off under the impression that I'm actually going to go tackle the clutch plate inspection, but balked at it once I realized that a couple of MG specific tools will need to be purchased in order to do so AND that the manual says to remove the engine. Heck, it's only nuts and bolts, right? Then I see this post and figure that if we're going to 3rd base on the first date we might as well steal home.

One area of initial concern is the gearing on the rear wheel. First time I've ever pulled one off and can see metal shavings in the grease along the gear splines.  I'll get a picture tonight and try to add it here.

What is this 'clutch plate inspection' you speak of? :nerd: Do you still run the original kit?

If you want to take the clutch out, you can either remove the engine or the transmission. I think removing the engine is easier. This is especially true when dealing with the twin-plate clutch as the springs are difficult to align.

Several people here own the special tools (self included) and can be persuaded to loan them out.

Could I also interest you in an unbreakable shift pawl spring? That would be a fun preventative maintenance project for you. 

• Like 1

Footgoose - Yes, my '02 #603 has the original clutch. There's very little travel in the lever from disengaged to engaged, so not much slip at all. Scud - Yes, a pawl spring hand forged of the purest unobtanium piques my interest as do any necessary tools to complete the task. Many wheels have come off many bikes, but never a shaft drive jobbie. Just don't know if what I'm seeing is normal or cause for concern. 

Scura.jpg

Wheel 2.jpg

Wheel 3.jpg

Pics are small, so it's kind of hard to tell, but that looks like a lot of corrosion to me - I don't see the shavings you referred to. I'd spend some time cleaning it and inspecting for signs of wear - including the casing as Phil says. If you're committed to pulling the clutch and want some collective wisdom, wit, and advice, for your "journey" you could start a new topic to keep everything together.

Also - I like the dirt bikes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Are those aluminium shavings? If so Is the gearbox input hub contacting the gearbox casing producing the aluminium?

Ciao

Pics were clearer on the iPhone and then rotated 90 degrees when I saved them to the laptop. I'll clean that all out and see what I can feel vs what just looks "specky and shiny". Got lost in the threads last night trying to make heads or tails of the various clutch and lubricant discussions. It's like one of those "choose your own ending" books you get for your kids, lol.

What did I do? I admired the glossy red paint. Staring out the garage door at high winds and rain, admiring the paint seemed preferable to admiring the asphalt up close and personal.

• Haha 1

I believe I have mentioned my nephew on occasion. He's a good dirt rider and has a Husqvarna TE250 (the older Italian street legal, 4-stroke made in the MV years - not the new Austrian TE250 2-stroke). Dammit Husky... the model numbers are so inconsistent over the years. Anyway, he's the one I tried to convince to buy my BMW K75s when he wanted his first street bike, but he just had to have this new MV F4. Emotions won over practical - he got the F4 and I sold my BMW to a neighbor boy as his first street bike.

So... he lives in Orange County but recently got a good job in San Diego so he's been living with us for a while. I, of course, said that I had room for his motorcycles in my garage (see Phil's insightful devil comment above). I commuted on it yesterday, which is a very bad idea. There are a few curves on the way to work that beg to be taken quickly. But the MV never lets you know that you are going fast. It just begs you to give it more gas... and how can you deny it? That fast and that red... I think I would lose my license if that was my daily ride.

It's a lovely machine in every way. I've ridden it a few times, but It's not something I'd want to stay on for 200 miles at a time - unless those 200 miles could be covered in about 90 minutes. Then I'd be happy to do it, and the bike would be in it's happy place too. 

Did I mention how great it sounds? Glorious.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Scud said:

I believe I have mentioned my nephew on occasion. He's a good dirt rider and has a Husqvarna TE250 (the older Italian street legal, 4-stroke made in the MV years - not the new Austrian TE250 2-stroke). Dammit Husky... the model numbers are so inconsistent over the years. Anyway, he's the one I tried to convince to buy my BMW K75s when he wanted his first street bike, but he just had to have this new MV F4. Emotions won over practical - he got the F4 and I sold my BMW to a neighbor boy as his first street bike.

So... he lives in Orange County but recently got a good job in San Diego so he's been living with us for a while. I, of course, said that I had room for his motorcycles in my garage (see Phil's insightful devil comment above). I commuted on it yesterday, which is a very bad idea. There are a few curves on the way to work that beg to be taken quickly. But the MV never lets you know that you are going fast. It just begs you to give it more gas... and how can you deny it? That fast and that red... I think I would lose my license if that was my daily ride.

It's a lovely machine in every way. I've ridden it a few times, but It's not something I'd want to stay on for 200 miles at a time - unless those 200 miles could be covered in about 90 minutes. Then I'd be happy to do it, and the bike would be in it's happy place too. 

Did I mention how great it sounds? Glorious.

Agreed on everything here. My 1000 used to live in my lounge room. I never tired of looking at it,it was just the most beautifully designed and executed motorcycle I've ever seen. Fairings off was even better. Every part was perfectly designed and a thing of beauty no exceptions. I only sold my last one because I missed riding a twin. No matter how beautiful the MV was I couldn't deny the pleasure of a big high output twin, hence the purchase of the 1198. The 1198 isnt half the looker of the MV but it has the feel and sound over it. You cant have it all.

One of my most vivid memories was as a mechanic at the WSB round years ago at Phillip Island working for a friend running a 996 Corse. Starting that thing was a sensory overload. I'd be at the back with our starter, a Honda stationary engine with a go cart wheel and tire mounted on the crank fitted to a wheeled frame with handles and a twist grip throttle. The 996 was on its stand and my mate stood next the the bike chest on the tank and holding the bars. My job was to hold the Honda engine flat out with the go cart tire hard against the back wheel of the 996 spinning the wheel up to god knows what speed but fast. You could hear the wizz of the chain over the Protesting little Honda engine. My mate would be looking at me and I'd give him the nod when I thought we were at maximum wheel speed and he'd pop the clutch on that big angry racing twin and it would start instantly. Both Termi outlets pointing straight at my chest 1/2 meter away. The sound was overwhelming as was the experience. We'd then hand it over to our rider and he would take that frightening, brutal thing out and do battle with it.

There's not many things in this world as visceral and emotive as a big racing twin at full noise. An inline 4 doesn't even come close. Not even the beautiful and magnificent MV.     

Ciao 

• Like 3

That sounds like a lot of fun. I do enjoy the big twins the most. I also like big thumpers. The only race bikes I ever rode were ATK 600s when I was pit crew for some privateer Baja 500 racers. Brutal would be a good word for those too.

Baja has been a life-long fascination for me (along with [Paris] Dakar) . . .

How do you start a race-prepped Ducati? With a Honda, of course! :D

• Like 1