What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

On 1/15/2020 at 3:21 AM, VeeEleven said:

Put on the last bits of unicorn poo reinforced unobtanium, finishing a post-purchase teardown.

20200114_171556.jpg

Where did you find the carbon tank cover in the bottom right of the pic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

(The current forum structure does not provide for moving individual posts anymore. I used to use that feature a lot to arrange content.)

This is a teensie bit disappointing...must say. Two months from now I'll be wondering "where did I see this info?", as I often do. The search feature is nice if you're clever to use the right word, but often won't, as you all know, turn up the (findable) post you may need. Thank you Docc, for your diligence in past efforts on topic organization. It's been so helpful. I assume you can still move/combine a new topic?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, footgoose said:

This is a teensie bit disappointing...must say. Two months from now I'll be wondering "where did I see this info?", as I often do. The search feature is nice if you're clever to use the right word, but often won't, as you all know, turn up the (findable) post you may need. Thank you Docc, for your diligence in past efforts on topic organization. It's been so helpful. I assume you can still move/combine a new topic?

Alright, so, I did move all of the tensioner and cam thrust bearing content to "How to . . .", but am not very happy with how it grouped into one post. I'll get better at practicing this new system of moving ("splitting") posts.  I appreciate nobelswood's suggestion that the valuable technical content be sequestered and footgoose's concern that our invaluable technical resources remain searchable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replaced all the turn signals and swapped in LED headlight bulb on my Rosso Mandello.  Sourced clear blinker assemblies from aliexpress for $5.00 per pair that fit well with minor mods.  Ended up removing the signal extender blocks from the front of the bike for a tighter and cleaner look.

v11_front.jpg

v11_rear.jpg

• Like 2

Got lucky tonight; changing out the camchain tensioner ( yes I'm still tinkering with that :lol: ) as I torqued down the bolts the new, from the hardware store bolt 'gave' more than the other bolts & didn't make the wrench 'click' as quickly as the oem bolts.

Could have been a disaster. :wacko:

IMG_1132.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, nobleswood said:

Got lucky tonight; changing out the camchain tensioner ( yes I'm still tinkering with that :lol: ) as I torqued down the bolts the new, from the hardware store bolt 'gave' more than the other bolts & didn't make the wrench 'click' as quickly as the oem bolts.

IMG_1132.JPG

Special stretchy bolts. Did they charge you extra for these ?

What did they say? Back it off half a turn...

So far yesterday on my custom V11

1. added fuel pump/injector relay

2. Placed the regulator with a single phase. I had a modified 3phase from a honda on it.

3. Replaced the pickup sensor for the speedo.

4. pulled the timing chest off so I can replace the cam chain with some of Joe's gears.

1 hour ago, nobleswood said:

IMG_1132.JPG

I'm betting it wasn't a grade 8 bolt.

Ciao

"Torque-to-yield" huh? I note here that Chinese 8.8 is often not "rest-of-the-world" grade 8.8  That bolt head looks rather industrial.

As to snapped off bolt heads, once the torque is relieved, the shank will normally twist back out. Getting a purchase on it is the deal. A smaller bolt shank, even a wood dowel, some epoxy on the end, a little cure time and out they come. If they don't then the case threads are dirty (shame!), or were also about to let go.

Found out back in the 70s at a garage where I worked when torquing a Cadillac rocker shaft bolt after replacing a head gasket. The threads were a good 8"-10" down the hole. It took a bit of patience and perseverance, but I got it back out.  

10 hours ago, docc said:

Metric hardness 8.8 is not SAE "Grade 8" as I recall . . .

You're correct on that;  I just stocked up on shear bolts for the snowblower on my new tractor, it's definitely a science.

In SAE bolts 8 is at the top of the hardness spectrum and in metric bolts 8.8 is in the middle; but if the 8.8 metric bolt is of poorer quality it can snap off at a much lower force than expected.

I copied over some info from one of the tractor forums below, fyi. 

The op was very lucky that bolt came out in one piece. Good luck with the next one Kelly

"Your dealer does not understand metric hardware. Metric hardware does not come in grade 2, 5, or 8. The heads are stamped as 4, 7, 8.8, 10.9 or 12.something. Most Pronovost blower PTO shaft shearbolts are 10mm diameter 8.8 hardness which is your standard hardness for many, many metric hardware applications. The majority of metric bolts stocked at our dealership are 8.8 hardness."