What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

At that price I'd be interested to know if the mount points have aluminium inserts.      

Nope, they don't. I could not find any who did, so I decided I'll try it anyway. I considered reeming the holes and making alu inserts myself, but did not dare to reem the holes.

Good tip on rubber washer+locktight. I may just do so.

5 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Where'd you get the alt cover?

https://mdicarbonfiber.com/

The finish quality is excellent, however I would like to have seen it a little bit thicker. And with Lucky Phil's alu inserts in the mounting holes.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:55 AM, Tinus89 said:

Replaced the old & tired alternator guard with a flashy CFRE one.

Old

20200205-154530.jpg

New

20200205-164715.jpg

Downside: now the oil cooler guard is ugly...

Did you get the plain or twill weave. at different places in the photo it resembles both

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I got the "last one" for $78.  Should look great since the Greenie has the factory CF bikini fairing.  

BTW- does it replace the factory cover or attach over it?

Replaces.

Ciao

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Replaces.

Ciao

Tinus, Did you pull the little Guzzi emblem off the old one or pay small fortune for another?

Phil, I'll look for some metal sleeves to reinforce the mounting tabs.  You recommend aluminum?  Just drill the CF and insert the sleeves?  Glue them in or not?  

27 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Tinus, Did you pull the little Guzzi emblem off the old one or pay small fortune for another?

Phil, I'll look for some metal sleeves to reinforce the mounting tabs.  You recommend aluminum?  Just drill the CF and insert the sleeves?  Glue them in or not?  

Well the wall thickness on the outside of the mount looks a bit thin for an insert but they are quite deep so thats good. Generally the item needs to be designed for the insert. I'd just flatten the mounting faces off on a plate if possible then screw it down without too much force with some blue loctite. When you bolt it down look to see if it tends to distort and load up the mounts too much. When this happens I usually use some small thin homemade rubber washers under the mounts and then torque up lightly with the loctite.

Ciao     

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 12:15 AM, Tinus89 said:

Nope, they don't. I could not find any who did, so I decided I'll try it anyway. I considered reeming the holes and making alu inserts myself, but did not dare to reem the holes.

Good tip on rubber washer+locktight. I may just do so.

https://mdicarbonfiber.com/

The finish quality is excellent, however I would like to have seen it a little bit thicker. And with Lucky Phil's alu inserts in the mounting holes.

Thanks. I just bought the last one. I have been looking for one of those for 3 years. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 1:51 PM, Gino Rondelli said:

At the weekend recommissioned my V11 after 7 years in storage, it was like getting a new bike again, full service and by Sunday afternoon I had a tune out of it, wonderful! Spoke to Belfastguzzi about the gear Spring so after I put some miles on it first I'll change it before the summer starts in earnest.image.jpeg

That’s a fine looking Guzzi you got there! That burgundy color looks great! 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:58 PM, LowRyter said:

Yes, worked it off with a small screw driver. Worked remarkably well.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:36 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Well the wall thickness on the outside of the mount looks a bit thin for an insert but they are quite deep so thats good. Generally the item needs to be designed for the insert. I'd just flatten the mounting faces off on a plate if possible then screw it down without too much force with some blue loctite. When you bolt it down look to see if it tends to distort and load up the mounts too much. When this happens I usually use some small thin homemade rubber washers under the mounts and then torque up lightly with the loctite.

Ciao     

As the spacer behind the original cover is plastic as well, I and the new cover is CF, I think applying low torque (say 5-10Nm) and using Loctite should be sufficient.

I'm not going to put inserts in there, not worth the risk.

20200205-164715.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled the italian patient up onto the shop gurney, for a late start to winter maintenance...  work took over my life again, so am running behind.  Sigh.

red fired right up, after sitting in the cold shop the last several months.  Purred right along, coaxing her up onto the stand.

realized my new Mac isn’t wanting to play nice with guzzidiag, so rounded up an only windows 7 machine, which seems to be the ticket.  

But i’ve forgotten which ECU the 02 V11 has, is it the 15M?  Poked around the search page results and grew tired of scanning pages...

On 2/13/2020 at 9:45 AM, LowRyter said:

I got the "last one" for $78.  Should look great since the Greenie has the factory CF bikini fairing.  

BTW- does it replace the factory cover or attach over it?

Well well.  No carbon cover for me now.  E-mailed them, told me they were out of stock and the work crew had an additional two week vacation due to Coronavirus.   They will  start work on Monday.  Really?

OK,  $77?  I won't lose sleep over it.  It might be worth the price of admission to see what in the blue hell this is about.   I think I'll be lucky to get the piece by April.  My thinking is "never" is the likely delivery date.  We'll see.

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Well well.  No carbon cover for me now.  E-mailed them, told me they were out of stock and the work crew had an additional two week vacation due to Coronavirus.   They will  start work on Monday.  Really?

OK,  $77?  I won't lose sleep over it.  It might be worth the price of admission to see what in the blue hell this is about.   I think I'll be lucky to get the piece by April.  My thinking is "never" is the likely delivery date.  We'll see.

Sorry, Man. Had to snatch it. V11 carbon is almost unobtainium. It's going on the Scura. If I don't like the weave I'll PM you first dibs.