What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

5 hours ago, Bob Maynard said:

I opened up a used seat I bought from MaxV11, removed the gel pad, and inserted two sheets of Sunmate medium firm and brought much comfort to my posterior. Cradles my candy butt wonderfully. :rolleyes:   Much better than my stock seat, comfort without slip sliding away.

Now, Bob, being a diligent and dedicated Moderator, I surely would not let anyone else call you a "candy butt" . . . :grin:

I had to look that material up. Here's a link :

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/products/best-seller-sunmate-32x37-sheet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I’m not an iron butt, for sure. Longest day ride was just over 600 miles on a rock hard Corbin equipped FJ1200 back around the turn of the century. I proudly proclaimed the title of candy butt after that.  I never joined candybutt org, not even sure if the website still exists (relating to motorcycles), although occasionally there are links to it on an FJR forum.

Did find it :

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node

Anyway, my mod to the previously modded seat came out really well, but I’ll need a longer ride to really test it out, probably after lockdown is lifted. 

On 3/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bob Maynard said:

I opened up a used seat I bought from MaxV11, removed the gel pad, and inserted two sheets of Sunmate medium firm and brought much comfort to my posterior. Cradles my candy butt wonderfully. :rolleyes:   Much better than my stock seat, comfort without slip sliding away.

Bob, I see they sell in different thickness as well as firmness. What thickness did you use. I was thinking it might be good to top off the layers with 1/4" lighter firmness. I will try this out on my Yamaha seat first, as it very much needs it.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, footgoose said:

Bob, I see they sell in different thickness as well as firmness. What thickness did you use. I was thinking it might be good to top off the layers with 1/4" lighter firmness. I will try this out on my Yamaha seat first, as it very much needs it.

I think the seat I used had been cut, lowered and gelled, with soft appearance foam filling out the cover.
I removed the 1/2” gel pad and cut the remaining stock foam below it. I left stock foam filling the pan depression because the seat pan is far from flat. I cut 1” Sunmate to fit in the hole where the gel was and a slightly larger piece of 1/2” over to cover the seams. Still managed to pull the cover back over all that, even with the appearance foam in place.

I like the medium firm foam, as it conforms to my posterior after a few minutes, or less if sitting in the sun. The firm needs to be sanded/ contoured to shape for a base layer. I’ve never used med soft or softer, I found the firm/ med firm combination great when shaped properly, sort of a good Corbin.  The soft or medium soft might work well for a comfort layer over a firmer layer.

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/pages/motorcycle-seat-retrofitting-with-impact-absorbing-foam-applications

They do sell a sample pack of different foams cut 4”x4”so you can get an idea of what might work,and offer good advice over the phone. My experience is that firmer is usually better. And I always keep my stock seat,  and work on a second, in case of failure.

Also, check out their overstock page.

• Thanks 2

got started 3 months late on my "winter maintenance" for Red...  Hell of an off season at work very much got in the way of getting started in the shop.  I admit that I started with the easy stuff, popping on the CRG eye candy levers, and then the carbon rear hugger, fluid flushes, some touch up, and some cleaning.  wiring re-work, and tune yet to be started.  those charcoal and red CRG levers match the stock MG colors very nicely.

most of this i can dig up from searches here, or even some of my old notes, but am doing the lazy thing and seeing if i can get any takers for quick reminders or clues on a few things as they come up:

Touch up paint for the charcoal colored valve covers... any hot tips?

any of you with idetic memory recall the Rear suspension bolt/nut torque, the one on the bottom end of the shock that connects it to the rear triangle?  I installed the bracket for the Ghezzi rear hugger, and used the nut and washer he provided.  Got 'er snugged about right, but need to look up that torque value.

hot tips on if powder coating the alternator cover is worth while?  and/or whether there's a good source for a new logo, since mine went missing.  I think i read something about that here somewhere...

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

got started 3 months late on my "winter maintenance" for Red...  Hell of an off season at work very much got in the way of getting started in the shop.  I admit that I started with the easy stuff, popping on the CRG eye candy levers, and then the carbon rear hugger, fluid flushes, some touch up, and some cleaning.  wiring re-work, and tune yet to be started.  those charcoal and red CRG levers match the stock MG colors very nicely.

most of this i can dig up from searches here, or even some of my old notes, but am doing the lazy thing and seeing if i can get any takers for quick reminders or clues on a few things as they come up:

Touch up paint for the charcoal colored valve covers... any hot tips?

any of you with idetic memory recall the Rear suspension bolt/nut torque, the one on the bottom end of the shock that connects it to the rear triangle?  I installed the bracket for the Ghezzi rear hugger, and used the nut and washer he provided.  Got 'er snugged about right, but need to look up that torque value.

hot tips on if powder coating the alternator cover is worth while?  and/or whether there's a good source for a new logo, since mine went missing.  I think i read something about that here somewhere...

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

45-50NM

Ciao

Thanks Phil!   On a tangential note, We ended up leaving our fire tanker (aussies call it a “bomber”) down the road from you, at Avalon airport, in a bit of a hurry last week. Had to get the crew out of there while the gettin’ was good.  Once things let up a bit on the apocalypse, i may volunteer myself to go get it and bring it back to US for our fire season here.  Hopefully won’t be too long till that can happen, but who knows.

Dug out my Guzziology book last night, and will hump it up to the shop today, where it belongs...

Sun is starting to show itself a bit, so gotta get Back up there to shop and get her ready for the road!  I did indulge last night and ponied up for replacement logo for alt cover off of ebay.  $28 delivered seemed too high for what it is, but knew it would bug me now that I’m thinking about it, so i played the sucker and sent my money...

supposed to be at lake como this fall, with a deposit already down on an AirBnB near Varenna, to go back again to Mandello and tour around on one of Agostini’s rentals, but wondering how things are going to play out.  May just have to head for nearby and thinly populated eastern Oregon and pretend I’m riding up to Stelvio Pass...

• Thanks 1

Put the bike on SORN as not allowed to use it at present.  Don't want to use it to just go one mile to the shops as it won't warm up properly.

Translation:  Statutory Off Road Notice,  UK method of advising authority you have taken the vehicle off the road and so do not pay any Vehicle Excise Duty/road tax for any complete months it is off road.

Local powder coat guy had zero backlog on any work, due to everything cancelling for the pandemic.  So he blasted and powder coated my stator cover in record time...

paid him more than usual, as it hurt to see that big, normally busy shop sitting idle.

B27AF9DF-9326-490A-BB1B-D7DCC047EA36.jpeg

• Like 6

This week I've been working on the red frame . 6 oil changes in the gear box to get a good color . Installed the gearbox to frame brace and only removed the tbi balance linkage to do it . I won't do that again . I found out it fits red frame only . Anyone want a spare ?

I installed the Volvo rod end on the right side linkage and synched ( is that a good spelling ? ) throttle bodies . After reading 5 opinions on the subject , I disconnected the rod , turned the throttle stop screws in to where I had 0.002" clearance between the screw and stop , then turned the screw in 1/4 turn . Installed the linkage and put the 0.002 feeler gauge on the opposite throttle body , tightened the white knob until the gauge hit the ground and called it good . I'm still wondering about which step to take on TPS adsjustment . It has been 15 yrs since it has been on the road . I have time . 

Installed a new crankcase to frame hose and r.h. turn signal . Check prices before you buy anywhere but MG Cycle . Disassembled all the calipers and installed brake assy lube and had a buddy shorten one of the braided brake hoses to make it look good .

Next week and more to do !

5 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Local powder coat guy had zero backlog on any work, due to everything cancelling for the pandemic.  So he blasted and powder coated my stator cover in record time...

paid him more than usual, as it hurt to see that big, normally busy shop sitting idle.

B27AF9DF-9326-490A-BB1B-D7DCC047EA36.jpeg

Beauty..... what's he calling that finish? I've heard a similar paint called hammerite.

29 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Beauty..... what's he calling that finish? I've heard a similar paint called hammerite.

Hammertone? ( brand name) That's what its known as over here. Painted my first toolbox which I made as a first year apprentice at training college with it. Same colour as well.

Ciao 

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

How much was the cost ?