What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Hammerite is a good rattle can product, and that’s the right name.   This though is a powder coat, and I don’t recall what he called it. I can find out.  He does some neat custom stuff,  but this seemed a good match, without getting too wild.  Two coats for the oven after bead blast, and should hold up better than a good rattle can job.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:41 PM, 68C said:

Put the bike on SORN as not allowed to use it at present.  Don't want to use it to just go one mile to the shops as it won't warm up properly.

Translation:  Statutory Off Road Notice,  UK method of advising authority you have taken the vehicle off the road and so do not pay any Vehicle Excise Duty/road tax for any complete months it is off road.

Interesting, not available in the US.  They want to squeeze us for every penny they can.  Sorry to hear your V11 is SORN but at least there's a bright side in the pocketbook.  Hope you can return to the road as soon as this virus is past.  :) 

• Thanks 1

We have income tax at 20% anything over about £12,000 per annum , National Insurance about 12%,  VAT/ sales tax at 20%.  High tax on motor fuel, alcohol  and cigarettes.  Do not mind the National Insurance as that helps fund our excellent National Health Service.  Perhaps saving £8 a month on my bike tax is not such a good deal. 

on the plus side, a lot of our bureaucracy works fairly smoothly 🙂.  Like when you buy a car/bike, just fill the form in, send it off, get it back in about a week, sorted- it’s yours!

I have heard that places like Spain and Italy can only dream of such ease.

Our Driver Vehicle Licencing Authority are up to all sorts of tricks, folk send off their driving licence for an update, address change etc and find they have cancelled their bike licence, takes weeks and you have to prove you really did pass the test twenty years before, hopefully you kept a photocopy. Take the annual road tax for a motorhome/RV.  Under 3500Kg it is around £265, yet for a motorhome over 3500Kg it is around £165.  I suppose their logic is heavy vehicles do less damage to the road!  Or the guy who runs the DVLA has a heavy motorhome.

• Like 3

haha true true, maybe bigger campers don’t tend to drive about as much?   Although I bought an old 3 tonner recently... doesn’t look like she’ll get much use for some time mind.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:25 PM, gstallons said:

This week I've been working on the red frame . 6 oil changes in the gear box to get a good color . Installed the gearbox to frame brace and only removed the tbi balance linkage to do it . I won't do that again . I found out it fits red frame only . Anyone want a spare ?

I installed the Volvo rod end on the right side linkage and synched ( is that a good spelling ? ) throttle bodies . After reading 5 opinions on the subject , I disconnected the rod , turned the throttle stop screws in to where I had 0.002" clearance between the screw and stop , then turned the screw in 1/4 turn . Installed the linkage and put the 0.002 feeler gauge on the opposite throttle body , tightened the white knob until the gauge hit the ground and called it good . I'm still wondering about which step to take on TPS adsjustment . It has been 15 yrs since it has been on the road . I have time . 

Installed a new crankcase to frame hose and r.h. turn signal . Check prices before you buy anywhere but MG Cycle . Disassembled all the calipers and installed brake assy lube and had a buddy shorten one of the braided brake hoses to make it look good .

Next week and more to do !

That balance should be fine for a mechanical starting point, but surely you have some sort of vacuum synching device (Mercury sticks, TwinMax, or such . . .) to fine tune the synch?

Critical to baseline the TPS. This sets the map in the ECU to the actual, mechanical throttle plate opening. 157mV with the throttle plate entirely closed (No right side idle stop screw, linkage disconnected, high idle cam released, clean throttle bore).

• Thanks 1

Oh , this Mad Scientist is just getting started !  I will change my procedure 3 or 4 Xs before I am through . I cleaned the air bypass screws today and will adjust things more in the days to come . I'm laid-off & under house arrest !  0.157" on closed throttle plated . Then I read 0.450" on min. idle speed ?

I read 4 procedures and had doubts about some of all of them . I am NOT going to allow the throttle plates to stop in the throttle bores . After adjusting the min. TPS I will get an amount of adjustment 0.002" against the screw and then 1/4 turn on the throttle stop screw . This will keep the throttle plate just off the bore . Then I will sync. the linkages . 

29 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Oh , this Mad Scientist is just getting started !  I will change my procedure 3 or 4 Xs before I am through . I cleaned the air bypass screws today and will adjust things more in the days to come . I'm laid-off & under house arrest !  0.157" on closed throttle plated . Then I read 0.450" on min. idle speed ?

I read 4 procedures and had doubts about some of all of them . I am NOT going to allow the throttle plates to stop in the throttle bores . After adjusting the min. TPS I will get an amount of adjustment 0.002" against the screw and then 1/4 turn on the throttle stop screw . This will keep the throttle plate just off the bore . Then I will sync. the linkages . 

Nothing wrong with your madness. ("Let's ask the other inmates on the ward if we really are crazy . . .") :blink::wacko::whistle:

No worries about the idle mV. Once all other parameters are set, put the idle wherever your motor seems happy. Could be +/- 0.50 mV, doesn't matter. 

After a reread . W/linkage unhooked , throttle plate fully closed on r.h. throttle body , set tps to 0.150-0.157mv . Then adjust all idle stop screws , linkage . Then adjust l.h. idle stop screw to 0.450 mV .  I can't do any more until I install the fuel tank . I assume this will work ?

That is today's goal !

BTW , I make no claims to be a "know-it-all" .

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, gstallons said:

After a reread . W/linkage unhooked , throttle plate fully closed on r.h. throttle body , set tps to 0.150-0.157mv . Then adjust all idle stop screws , linkage . Then adjust l.h. idle stop screw to 0.450 mV .  I can't do any more until I install the fuel tank . I assume this will work ?

That is today's goal !

BTW , I make no claims to be a "know-it-all" .

Well that's the base line to start proceedings.

Ciao

Treated my bike to some short Ducati levers and a genuine Brembo (again, Ducati) reservoir lid kit to replace the weird pink ally one that was on there; although at £20 a pop I can see why a cheap eBay cap would be preferable!

35jGvjs.jpg

And so it goes.....

The timing case is on & parts going back together, then I thinks to myself ' You know, while I'm here I might as well  ( insert whichever project you've been meaning to get to ) take apart the drive shaft & clean that up'

Well it keeps me social distancing from the family which they appreciate.:lol:

• Haha 1