What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Thanks for the link to the Ohlins rebuild Chuck, it makes more sense now that I have opened up the Showas's

None of this stuff is rocket science. :oldgit: Sometimes, a few pix tells all. That's why I'm still pissed at Photoblockit for my Lario and Aero Engine threads. (grumbling and shuffling off..)

• Thanks 1

True, it's not rocket science but it is knowing where you need to be more precise.

Thinking of my fork seal, when I open them up soon I will go over the surface with a glass to see if there is a nick that explains the constant weep. Something I picked up from the 'Ohlins' thread :notworthy:

On 6/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, nobleswood said:

🤔

The seal-mate looks like it'd be useful to have in the toolbox 👍

Back in the day before Ohlins made OEM forks for manufacturers the ones that came on the up spec Ducati's like 851 SP2's etc were the real deal GP forks.I had them on my 888 and they static leaked all the time. No slider damage it was what Ohlins seals used to do back then. We used to replace them with Honda Goldwing seals and they never leaked after that.

In this case Chuck is right,look for slider damage and carefully remove if present.

Ciao   

• Like 1

Had to get back into the bullet connectors under the LH side of the fuel tank. Typical symptoms (fuel pump would prime, all lights functional, no starting current draw when hitting the start button anywhere except full LH steering lock). Seems this happen every 2-3 years or so. To my eye, there's plenty of strain relief present (refuted by the steering lock symptom though), the connectors are locked to each other upon disassembly, and no other visible signs of distress. It's puzzling. Might try a Posi-Seal product next time and get rid of the bullets, Second Amendment concerns be damned.....

And many thanks to this forum for the discussions on this topic!

• Like 2

Taking a tip from 4corsa’s earlier post, I put a set of TechSpec tank grips on the Greenie today. As pointed out by Phil in that earlier post, an opaque tank protector will show uneven paint fade over time when removed, but these sound like they work well and I’m curious to try. I’m not sure how I feel about the center piece. I may take that piece off and replace with clear. Anyway, here is what a Greenie looks like with slabs of rubber of her tank:

FC87B525-1C52-4A19-8467-232DDBF02891.jpeg

• Like 6

Looks great, and anxious to hear how you like the grip and control after you've put in some spirited riding miles with them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 7:10 PM, Lucky Phil said:

I've posted on how to remove the swigarm bearing in 30 seconds with a home made tool

Ciao

Yep after reading how hard this job is, I borrowed a mates slide puller that just had an "L" shaped hook on the end. Job done in what may have been less than 30 seconds. 

IMG_0538.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Kane said:

Taking a tip from 4corsa’s earlier post, I put a set of TechSpec tank grips on the Greenie today. As pointed out by Phil in that earlier post, an opaque tank protector will show uneven paint fade over time when removed, but these sound like they work well and I’m curious to try. I’m not sure how I feel about the center piece. I may take that piece off and replace with clear. Anyway, here is what a Greenie looks like with slabs of rubber of her tank:

Which ones are those? I looked all over their site for Guzzi ones but they didn't list any.

Hi Randy, they don’t list the Moto Guzzi V11 on the website, but they have a templet for it on file, at least for my model 2001. They made them for me the same day and I received them in two days. They were nice enough to add a center tank protector for an additional $5. The ones I have are made from their Snake Skin material.

Give them a call and tell them the year and model and they’ll help you:

www.techspec-usa.com

Ph: 775-783-5110

Good luck!

• Like 1

PERFECTION . 

Today my bike attained perfection . I finally got my injectors back from RC Fuel Injection and finished the installation & adjustments . After two days of no-starts I realized I had a f'd up PowerCommander . Removed the PC and the first cylinder that came up , ZOOOM . It started like it never started before . 

I let it warm-up and took off to get gas . 1/2 mile before I get to the station , I ran out of fuel . Laid the bike over to get as much fuel as possible on the left side , restarted and on to the gas pump . A full tank of fuel and the long way home made me smile . NO hick-ups , nothing but perfect throttle response and perfect stop sign take-off and acceleration .

16k miles and a lot of sitting had me a clogged injector on one side and a poor spray pattern on the other .  For anyone on this site w/any drivability or performance issues , please remove the throttle bodies and have your injectors serviced .  This was NOT an easy task , be sure and take 1,000 pictures to know how things are supposed to come apart / go back together .  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gstallons said:

PERFECTION . 

Today my bike attained perfection . I finally got my injectors back from RC Fuel Injection and finished the installation & adjustments . After two days of no-starts I realized I had a f'd up PowerCommander . Removed the PC and the first cylinder that came up , ZOOOM . It started like it never started before . 

I let it warm-up and took off to get gas . 1/2 mile before I get to the station , I ran out of fuel . Laid the bike over to get as much fuel as possible on the left side , restarted and on to the gas pump . A full tank of fuel and the long way home made me smile . NO hick-ups , nothing but perfect throttle response and perfect stop sign take-off and acceleration .

16k miles and a lot of sitting had me a clogged injector on one side and a poor spray pattern on the other .  For anyone on this site w/any drivability or performance issues , please remove the throttle bodies and have your injectors serviced .  This was NOT an easy task , be sure and take 1,000 pictures to know how things are supposed to come apart / go back together .  

How did you get the throttle bodies off? Did they come off in one piece or did you separate them off the supports?

Ciao 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Kane said:

Those look especially good coordinated on the earlier chin pad tanks.

I don't need a lot of extra tank "grip", but one oddity with the V11 Sport/LeMans tank and my physique is that the flare of the tank on it's slab sides tends to put a lot of painful pressure on the bony prominence inside of my knees which hurts after a while.  So I may have to look into these.

This was a JOB . I purchased rubber boots to try them to fix my misfire , popping , running like shite , crummy performance , etc. I got no advice on how to swap them out & decided to DIY .  

I separated the throttle bodies and pulled them out of the way and took a razor blade and split the boots . I realized I wasted my time with them and got to looking at the fuel injectors \ throttle body walls . The l.h. side showed flooding and the r.h. side was ultra-lean . Then it was X to do something . I just started taking things apart . short term memory loss ( I bought/lost 3 of the 3mm sockets while doing this ) and the fact it took way too long on the injector travel time made it an adventure on reassembly . 

When you do this you will need an empty fuel tank , a 2.5mm and a 3mm (stubby) SnapOn allen socket & a 45 degree external snap ring pliers , picks and regular tools . Do not ever go cheap $ on tools .

I will come up with a procedure when I do the red frame injectors and get them done . If I ever get smart enough I will learn to transfer phone to computer photos. If anyone wants to PM their # I can send ( today ) a pic of the throttle bores to see WHY I did this .  

• Like 3