What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Gee, condolences on your Mother in Law mate.

As for the young fella, good luck to him, they (Vic Pol ) need more good people.

I gotta say though I've been bloody impressed with them any time I've had any interactions of late due to this virus/lockdown etc.

Cheers Guzzler. 

4 hours ago, guzzler said:

Gee, condolences on your Mother in Law mate.

As for the young fella, good luck to him, they (Vic Pol ) need more good people.

I gotta say though I've been bloody impressed with them any time I've had any interactions of late due to this virus/lockdown etc.

Cheers Guzzler. 

Thanks, she had a long battle with Cancer and finally succumbed. She was very stoic and accepting and still lived a full life up until the last few months. 

One of my oldest and closest friends is battling away with it as well, very hard and lots of pain,sigh.

Yes My son in law is like the dream son in law, born in France and moved here at 14 so speaks perfect French, handsome rooster:) super fit part time personal trainer and IT guy and lovely bloke as well. He even rides a motorcycle. Hopefully he's the generation that steers the Vic Police away from the silly space they occupy at the moment at the senior leadership level. 

Ciao  

• Like 1

Just got back from a 3 day 730 mile tour with friends in the Catskill Mountains. First tour for my 03 Le Mans, and happy to say she performed flawlessly - such a pleasure to ride on 50 - 80 mph sweepers!bc3f78fc14133827a9c7d17fb8369fa1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fun with magnets!

My sump doesn't have a drain plug, per se (due to it being commandeered by the breather return), so no ability to use a magnetic drain plug. I have a handful of rare earth magnets, so decided to play around with putting them on the oil filter. Seems simple enough, but I'm curious if they will stay put on their own, or if they will work their way off - they do slide around the filter fairly easily, so I might have to resort to using something to hold them in place. We'll see.

__Jason

IMG_2573.JPG

1 hour ago, jtucker said:

... magnets ... on the oil filter.

Jason, I put a computer hard drive magnet on the oil filter of my Toyota Hilux pickup. It stayed in place till the next oil change, when I opened the filter can to look. I could see the outline of the magnet on the inside of the filter can. Just a dark outline that disappeared as soon as I touched it. So the magnet was collecting steel particles from the oil, but I don't know if it has any real world benefit. It certainly can't do any harm on an external filter, but I'd be reluctant to put one inside the sump of my bike.

• Like 2

The other zero-effort thing I did today: new K&N pods. The old ones were getting sort of ratty - particularly the left side, which got a bit crushed somewhere along the lines. Last time I cleaned and oiled them, I decided it would be the last time, and it was time to get some freshies.

__Jason

IMG_9537.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Jason, I put a computer hard drive magnet on the oil filter of my Toyota Hilux pickup. It stayed in place till the next oil change, when I opened the filter can to look. I could see the outline of the magnet on the inside of the filter can. Just a dark outline that disappeared as soon as I touched it. So the magnet was collecting steel particles from the oil, but I don't know if it has any real world benefit. It certainly can't do any harm on an external filter, but I'd be reluctant to put one inside the sump of my bike.

You can buy a dedicated magnets for the oil filter. Its called a Filtermag. I run one each on the two "nice" cars I have. More useful during break in I think when there is a lot of wear particles coming off piston rings. 

They cant hurt but no good on a Guzzi internal filter. just buy yourself a nice anodised 19mm drain mag plug off Ebay like I have on my engine. Cheap as chips and effective.

Two Blue mag plugs on sump

DSC00891.JPG

Ciao  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Strange things had been done to this 2000 V11 by the original owner and dealer in agreement in 2000. Apparently due to defects in the paint from the factory  (I could see them beneath the paint once I stripped it.)   I bought it two and a half years ago with its whack grey paint on the front fender, two-tone on the tank and seat frame. And pin-stripes. All of which I hated. Offense and atrocity coalesced and I finally, brutally, sanded it off with the intention of eventually repainting it another color altogether. The paint chemistry was a formula that Satan derived and the tank had had two applications after the first grey had problems and was very thick and tenacious. I managed to get enough of it off that it had a faint resemblance to the machinations of its Italian fabricators.  I decided the archeological excavation pleased and it should remain as is for the time being; the various layers a historic testimonial, if anyone paused long enough to look. I wasn't able to preserve the front fender paint, so I rattle-can sprayed it with an Audi wheel color finish/clear coat. I sprayed the headlight shell with an aluminum paint. 

I won't belabor my disinterest in the Moto Guzzi eagle or the typeface of the tank graphics, so new biz. No offense to anyone here.

. . . And the tail section had been hacked up (with a hack saw), the turn signals replaced by bad LED replacements, all contributing to a disrespectful lack of deference. I sourced a Hella LED truck light (Awesomely bright against the backdrop of the traffic bedlam in this part of the northeast) and amber LED lights sold by Revival in Austin Texas to use as turn signals front and rear.. I designed aluminum subassemblies that attach to the original bracket that fastens the tail/fender and stalks using the original front turn signal mounting points on the headlight ears. 

I've been trying to unbolt/unplug, as much off this bike as I've deem superfluous (I long ago removed the side covers and am determined to remove the airbox assembly, but I know it will require engine management acumen which will bruise my puny brain).  So a couple of other details are in the crosshairs of my guillotine, but budgets are a bitching boot that kick when you want them to dance with you. We'll see. 

Politics and Covid and my ailing father and a general distemper for the nihilistic dysfunction I believe we're in the throes of is a mighty motivator for my pathology and Moto Guzzi irreverence. Good folk may grimace as a result, or avert their eyes, but the rings of this circus grow by the day. I've now lost count. 

Peace to you all. 

Budget a bitch? how about file size? 400kb the last time I looked, now smaller? I'll need some time for growling. Meanwhile a link while I figure out if I can post the dust-spec sized pix I modified to post here. Grateful the site exists and is free and full with the spirit of all that use it, but may I be allowed to wail over the digital self-flagellation? No? Okay. I'll stifle and cry into my fowdy ounce, which is almost empty anyway.   

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1We-Py_P2cP7dQQsWSCIh_f2MAe7hK-EX?usp=sharing 

• Like 2

204.8kb conflates to 408.2. Or some other iteration of a dyslexic jumble . My apologies to the bandwidth overlords, it's just that the last bit and re-sizing felt Sisyphean. And in fact was.  

Okay. I give up on the file upload. Tiny and under the limit and still it caterwauls. 

Ok Shakespeare, some of us are transfixed to the tale and the images...

that taillight is exactly as you’ve described,  both “wrong” and also intriguingly sweet.

'wrong' and 'intriguingly sweet':  a philosophical alliteration that gets a good smile up in here. A deft and sharp snark kicking of the ass of my foppish design and linguistics in one blow. kudos. Me like. 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:36 PM, jtucker said:

Fun with magnets!

My sump doesn't have a drain plug, per se (due to it being commandeered by the breather return), so no ability to use a magnetic drain plug. I have a handful of rare earth magnets, so decided to play around with putting them on the oil filter. Seems simple enough, but I'm curious if they will stay put on their own, or if they will work their way off - they do slide around the filter fairly easily, so I might have to resort to using something to hold them in place. We'll see.

__Jason

IMG_2573.JPG

Have any stichery skills? A black nylon bandoleer of magnets wrapped around and velcroed in place would give you that 24/7 tactical all Molle all the time look.