What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

10 hours ago, nobleswood said:

Finished making the fork cap extensions that are to go on the V11’s Showa forks.

I had a welder add the aluminum tube & then I turned the rough fabrication on my mini-lathe. Thanks to Chuck for the long distance coaching which got me through the initial set up. Machined the ‘nut’ today & am quite pleased.

41E5C3EC-DD3B-43AB-98AB-80D7CA58D331.jpeg

Very nice, Tim. :thumbsup:

After not riding the Guzzi for quite a while I put the Nortons away (for winter upgrades) and washed the Guzzi. With heated grips and push button starting it's more appropriate for this time of year. Assuming I we get clear day.

yGsrTPp.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well my 2004 V11 LeMans arrived today.  So I met the shipper, brought her home, then tried to figure out how to remove the damn seat!  Eventually, with the help of the Internet and multiple searches, I located the keyed seat release on her throttle side. :-0

Rigged up the battery tender and hope to fire her up tomorrow.  

• Like 9

LOL well that battery is as expected...REALLY dead!  As she sat for 3 years prior to me getting it, it was to be expected.  I'm just going to go ahead and pick up the pieces/parts to do all the filters and fluids (as well as a new battery) prior to firing her up.  I'm just wrapping up doing this on a buddy's K75S that sat for 6 years so when I get that off the lift table, the LeMans will be there in its place.  

The LeMans is in much better shape than the K75S as that was parked with a bunch of ethanol fuel in the tank.  What a major mess that was to clean the rubber/fuel goop that coated the inside of the tank (as well as anything related to that fuel system).  His parking it this way wasn't planned as he broke his hip.  The LeMans was parked knowing it wouldn't be fired up anytime soon and so it wasn't carrying that nasty fuel for 3 years.  I just scoped the tank and confirmed no goopy mess in there. :-)

• Like 3

Fitted new fuel tap. Finally got rid of persistent fuel smell V11 had. It never amounted to a leak. Also solved the problem of fuel tap being stiff to turn. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Fitted new fuel tap. Finally got rid of persistent fuel smell V11 had. It never amounted to a leak. Also solved the problem of fuel tap being stiff to turn. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

How? The only solution I'm aware of is to replace the Nitrile O rings with Viton/FKM seals. That's the reason they seize up and get stiff because the std O rings swell like crazy when exposed to fuel. I covered the modification here a while back. 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gstallons said:

It is the ethanol in the fuel system the standard o-rings are exposed to that causes all the problems .

Nope, I've had 2 taps jam up and I don't use ethanol fuel. Nitrile seals aren't totally unaffected by gasoline. The swelling can be ok in the instance of a confined static seal in a fuel system where the seal swell can actually help sealing but in a dynamic situation they are hopeless.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

How? The only solution I'm aware of is to replace the Nitrile O rings with Viton/FKM seals. That's the reason they seize up and get stiff because the std O rings swell like crazy when exposed to fuel. I covered the modification here a while back. 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Had the tap replaced in an emergency with straight fitting.   Haven't replaced it, keep a cork to plug the tube now.  Maybe get a plastic tube and drain the gas first.  Stupid Guzzi pet cock.

38 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Had the tap replaced in an emergency with straight fitting.   Haven't replaced it, keep a cork to plug the tube now.  Maybe get a plastic tube and drain the gas first.  Stupid Guzzi pet cock.

Its actually a nice design let down by cheaping out on the orings to save around $1. My modified version works perfectly and is now rebuildable if the need ever arises which it shouldn't considering the use it gets. It's nice reaching under the tank and knowing you don't need to fight the fuel tap to simply shut it off.

Ciao 

• Like 2