What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Love all the responses!

We indeed do drive on the right hand side and because of that, possibly left hand corners are longer, more visible and therefore faster/more throttle causing more tire wear. Thinking of it now, I think my dual compound front tire also wore unevenly, with the pointy "egg" shape not being in the middle but a bit more on the right (so more wear left).

Wheel alignment can't be it on a V11 I would have thought, but I will check whether they are in a straight line behind eachother. The inner fender also looking crooked is visual by the way, but the uneven wear definately is not camera angle but real.

I can also admit to being somewhat of an ape on the clutch/throttle sometimes, causing a bit of sidestep on the rear end...:ph34r:

• Like 1

As Chuck said above, more wear on the left is common (when riding on the right side of the road) due to the slope of the crown of the road. I would expect the opposite to be true in the UK.

That’s probably the strangest thing I’ve read. In all the years I’ve been riding motorcycles I’ve never had a discussion with other riders talking about preferences of turns. 

Personally, I love both... in rapid succession. Main reason I love pre nanny tech bikes. My Ducati was powerful enough that you could modulate the bike coming out of a corner. 

That is the Ducati special sauce, and to a lesser extent Guzzi. Very direct and you feel as one with the bike. My MV Agusta F4 on the other hand did not feel connected at all. Quite a few times I didn’t realize I was spinning up the rear....until you did... that’s not confidence inspiring at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I agree with liking left hand turns more, whether it's on bikes, skates, skis etc, not sure what the logic or explanation for it would be

1 hour ago, Emeraldv11 said:

+1 !

In right lane driving countries, this makes perfect sense because of the longer sight line and consequent confidence to enter and maintain higher speeds in the left-handers with the longer visual lead.

But on skis? Or where you ride on the left side of the road?

Y'all boys prolly ain't bad broke, but could be twisted or bent kinda strange . . .  :wacko::blink::race:

FWIW, pilots seem to like left hand turns better, too. Routine traffic patterns are left turns. I always assumed it was because the driver :D  was sitting on the left side of the ship. I prefer sitting in the middle if possible, and really don't care. Same same with motorcycles. Either direction is fun. Just the same, for whatever reason.. people just seem to prefer left. Maybe it has to do with "handedness??" Dunno. I use each hand equally poorly.

Sight lines on a bike do come into it, but it's more than just that for me.

When I used to do a lot of dirt biking, I loved putting my inside foot down and blasting off a left hand berm shot, but on the right side, always felt just a little awkward and tentative, definitely not as natural, I'm right handed fwiw

I suspect it's psychologically determined. Most of the worlds population is right handed, often described as the dominant side. During a left had turn in a aircraft, or bike that puts the right side higher than the left, Right in the dominant position. In a car being right handed I feel more comfortable in right hand corners than left but on the bike or aeroplane its the opposite. Once again in a car in a r/h corner the left side squats and the right side rises to the dominant position. Just a theory.      

Ciao 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I suspect it's psychologically determined. Most of the worlds population is right handed, often described as the dominant side. During a left had turn in a aircraft, or bike that puts the right side higher than the left, Right in the dominant position. In a car being right handed I feel more comfortable in right hand corners than left but on the bike or aeroplane its the opposite. Once again in a car in a r/h corner the left side squats and the right side rises to the dominant position. Just a theory.      

Ciao 

I had long wondered if this would be opposite in the Southern Hemisphere.

So much for the Coriolis Effect.  :nerd:

9 minutes ago, docc said:

I had long wondered if this would be opposite in the Southern Hemisphere.

So much for the Coriolis Effect.  :nerd:

Doesn't appear to be the case docc:) Interestingly most of the worlds race tracks are clockwise. Years ago Rob Mcelnea Gp and WSB rider came here for the Swan series in our summer. He went to Oran Park in Sydney where the first round was on an open practice day during the week. Nobody was around so he started doing some laps to familiarise himseld with the track. He was doing OK until someone arrived and pointed out to him that the track was actually run anti clockwise not the usual clockwise he just assumed. He said he thought it seemed a little dangerous,lol. BTW it was pretty dangerous by modern standards even racing in the correct direction.

Ciao  

• Haha 1

I've scrubbed many o' left-side front tire on my Sport. But never a rear like Tunus89 shows.

I would have that axle and reardrive out for a good inspection, IIWM . . . :luigi:

Perhaps, even time to verify swingarm bearings. :huh:

20210217-204727.jpg

Otherwise, maybe he's just been doing smoky donuts, anti-clockwise! :o

smoky.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe he's got a wooden right leg?

It looks like the wear pattern that some guys have at track days. The guys that are WOT down the straight and get in your way in the corners. So they coast through the corners and when its about 10 deg off fully upright they go wide open throttle and blast past you on their R1 or whatever just in time to get on the brakes so early for the next corner you have to be careful you don't run into the back of them. 

Thats how their tyres wear, just off the crown and next to no wear on the edges.

Ciao 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1