What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Maybe he's got a wooden right leg?

Ciao 

Well, I thought the "Riddler" @Tinus89 knew the answer to the "riddle", but apparently not. So, this is more of a >conundrum <

That tire wear is not normal, in any way. (Ruling out the smoky burn-outs!) . . .

Swingarm out of alignment (as @footgoose said)? Sure , there is no "adjustment" for that on a V11, but a failed (left side?) swingarm bearing could drag the tire like that . . .

The left vs right turn dominance is amusingly interesting... lots of evidence of it everywhere.  

While I’d want to think the issue here is swingarm or something like that, the wear seems too far off center to be from some kind of misalignment.  Could certainly  be totally wrong, but I’d think the kind of misalignment one might have from a wonky swingarm or bearing would result in a wear line just slightly off center. Anything else you’d think would be noticeable when riding straight down the freeway. And I’d imagine that if the rear was that far out of whack, you might see something up on front tire as well, as the body-in-motion would need to compensate to keep things tracking straight?  Maybe not... gotta think on that.  Maybe since the front has the lateral pivot (steering head) that may not be true.  
But who knows.... none of the theories are easy pills to swallow.  I guess just buy another tire, check alignment and basic swingarm “plumb & square”, then ride on!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

The left vs right turn dominance is amusingly interesting... lots of evidence of it everywhere.  

While I’d want to think the issue here is swingarm or something like that, the wear seems too far off center to be from some kind of misalignment.  Could certainly  be totally wrong, but I’d think the kind of misalignment one might have from a wonky swingarm or bearing would result in a wear line just slightly off center. Anything else you’d think would be noticeable when riding straight down the freeway. And I’d imagine that if the rear was that far out of whack, you might see something up on front tire as well, as the body-in-motion would need to compensate to keep things tracking straight?  Maybe not... gotta think on that.  Maybe since the front has the lateral pivot (steering head) that may not be true.  
But who knows.... none of the theories are easy pills to swallow.  I guess just buy another tire, check alignment and basic swingarm “plumb & square”, then ride on!

Exactly. there are so many explanations for left side tire wear. I was wrong re: axle misalignment on V11...  UNless the swing arm is bent (again not likely) but..'//and including theories of ...

road crown (right side driving) applies but not that significant.

if you drive on the right side of the road then left turns add more miles (true) but usually only front.

left turns are more comfortable so you lean further and are more confident (applies to me)

bias weight of the bike to the right will cause an unconscious rider lean to the left to balance.

in the end I don't see any of the above accounting for the unusual wear that tire shows. not in the rear. never seen anything like it. ... has the bike been crashed? Some info is missing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, docc said:

I've scrubbed many o' left-side front tire on my Sport. But never a rear like Tunus89 shows.

I would have that axle and reardrive out for a good inspection, IIWM . . . :luigi:

Perhaps, even time to verify swingarm bearings. :huh:

20210217-204727.jpg

Otherwise, maybe he's just been doing smoky donuts, anti-clockwise! :o

smoky.jpg

My fear of this , would be TRACTION .

We were (1975) messin' around at Donnie Porter's house and he was on Les Houston's Yamaha MX125 playin" around in this large mud puddle . We were all sitting in this two car garage watching Mr Motocross putting on a clinic , when he decided to hit the mudhole a little faster than normal . he came out in a wheelie , 2nd gear WFO into the garage where his audience IS sitting . He came to a stop on top of Bobby Pearson's freshly plastered broken leg as it was propped on another chair . Porter had entered the shop so fast no one had a chance to flinch . You have no idea what loud and fast is until you get inside a small shop full of people !

We all too a head count , everyone was alive .  No animals were hurt during the stunt so we all laughed it off , parked the bike and went down the road and smoked the peace pipe discussing the near death experience !

• Haha 2

We are all different,,, reading this is like reading Donald Duck, all good :rasta:. I mean if the swingarm bearings are that bad, that would be Very noticeable riding,YES.  The tire could have had the wrong rubber compound , put together.  Anyway we are all going faster  the older we get, watch out young lads.  Campfire talk.  I’m a lefty, but like rights turns, even from young, skiing, motocross, biking ++.

Friday gents, IPA time, wild quess, 70days more hibernation.

Cheers tom.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

My fear of this , would be TRACTION .

These bikes are not powerful enough for accelerative traction loss. Even under hard braking, you should barely be using the rear tire. I use mine to settle the bike down, if I’m in a bit of a mess turn in wise. 

I’ve put mine thru some difficult situations fully comfortable with dumping it and I couldn’t really get it out of shape. She’s sharp and I’m still impressed all these years later at just how capable these bikes are.

If I had to say something, it would be the inertia or weight of the bike. It’s a heavy bike and you really need to pick it up and throw it back down. A few more HP’s and I’m working on a significant weight reduction regime. 

I am fairly confident I can get her swinging with a lot more fluidity 

• Like 1

I think someone in the group here has used the moto science signals and/or mirrors?  If so, any comments?  Thinking of messing with “upgrading” the stock signals.  I’ve seen a few good options on this forum, including some very cool setups that I’ve been thinking about, but just saw these as being semi-targeted at the V11, so was eye-balling them too:

https://moto-science.com/collections/moto-guzzi-moto-morini/products/moto-guzzi-v11-lemans-corsa-led-turn-signal-mirrors-kit-pair-531819

It’s all vanity, as what i have works fine.  I’ve just never loved the large, plastic stock units, and since this winter i have less “normal” work to do on the bike, i may indulge myself with something like a signal and mirror upgrade/change.  This particular set seems to stay within the general look of the stock pieces, but arguably cleans it up a bit.  I used this company for mirror upgrades on my son’s Gran Canyon, and was very pleased with the results of that simple project (easy thrills... insert money into process, receive parts, bolt-on, smile)

• Like 1

They look well made.  Nice that they are plug and play with the resistor 'kit'

It would be nice to know what size resistor would accomplish this as simply as they have done. Without having to dive into the dash panel and fiddle with the idiot light or solder something somewhere to make them flash. I did buy some recommended units for that but they were quite large, encased in alm, and got very hot. I threw them out.

If someone with electrical wherewithal could recommend a size to begin experimenting with, I'll give it a shot. We know that stuff is cheap and many of us would run LED signals if it were that easy. At the moment I run LED on the rear with my tail tidy and some semi-acceptable small incandescent ones up front, with a different flasher. Works fine but would like to use the LED all round.

Would LED units with differing numbers of D's require different resistance? I have some with 6 and some with 10.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Is that $189usd for a PAIR? Gulp.

For years of satisfied ownership.” You’ll probably want to get some aroma therapy going, grab your favorite squish toy out when you see the front end on my Moto......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Is that $189usd for a PAIR? Gulp. Put 2 pair on a V11 Sport and you've got about 15% of the value of the bike right there.

Ciao

The set shown is for just the front, so yes, but they are the mirror & signal combined setup.  

Very true that a very acceptable upgrade can be done for way cheaper, so that’s certainly part of the consideration.  I’ve used the relatively common wedge shaped LED’s on multiple other bikes, purchased off Amazon or some other source for cheap (I think i still have another set in the shop somewhere), with wiring and other parts obtained separately, and those all turned out great for a fraction of the cost.  But not quite as nice, and to Footgooses point, the correct resistor setup doesn’t seem as straightforward on the V11.  That said, maybe this “plug and play” option from moto science, with the correct resistors, isn’t as sorted as they imply. 

• Like 1

Was able to spend some time in the shop today and changed the engine oil (and filter), gearbox oil, and rear transmission box oil.  Got some fresh fuel, wet the tank, crossed my fingers, and hit the starter button.  It's alive!!!

Let it run for a bit, no leaks or issues, and went for a spin around the block.  I had a huge grin on my face.  Next stop will be to the DMV for the tag.  

Felt like I was on such a roll I even changed the ignition starter switch on my '78 Pinto.  Unfortunately that battery is suffering from sulfation and wouldn't even take a charge.  Pulled it and off to get a replacement tomorrow if work cooperates.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cwr said:

....Felt like I was on such a roll I even changed the ignition starter switch on my '78 Pinto.....

Now that’s something I haven’t seen for a long time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1