What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Loaded the Meinolf 93_6 map. Runs great now.

So then I thought I would attack the pipes to start the process of cleaning them up, removing dents etc. Interesting that it looked like one had already been opened and this is what I found inside.......no packing at all.

The other outlet end is very difficult to remove. It might have to stay there while I remove the dents which will make it a little bit harder.

TI Pipe.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NicoNZ said:

Loaded the Meinolf 93_6 map. Runs great now.

So then I thought I would attack the pipes to start the process of cleaning them up, removing dents etc. Interesting that it looked like one had already been opened and this is what I found inside.......no packing at all.

The other outlet end is very difficult to remove. It might have to stay there while I remove the dents which will make it a little bit harder.

TI Pipe.jpg

I wouldn't recommend that for a few reasons. Firstly it will make dressing out the damage more difficult but more importantly it makes it impossible to wrap the perforated tube with woven glass/cloth which you need to do when re packing. It's not a good idea to just stuff glass wool down the can without the woven glass around the perforated section because the wool will blow out faster and the tiny loose wool fibres get sucked back into the cylinder on the overrun at the right revs. Not that it's going to do any real damage but best to avaoid that.

Ciao  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2015 at 7:19 PM, Scud said:

Here's a topic for whatever you feel like sharing.

I've seen similar on some other forums and it seems like a nice way to chat about whatever comes up: little tasks, maintenance, washes, rides to the grocery store, added an aftermarket accessory, ordered some supplies, whatever... Maybe one person's little task will serve as a good reminder to someone else.

So.... what did you do to your V11 today?

On 12/27/2015 at 7:22 PM, Scud said:

I took my LeMans' starter switch apart - all the way down to the spring and contacts. Took a small file to the contacts to get a good connection - and some steel wool to the spring, which has to conduct electricity. Hoping for more reliable starts.

11 hours ago, Scud said:

I decided I've been pushing the electrical-dead Scura around in the garage for too long, and that I also hate doing electrical work. So I made an appointment to have a professional repair it (had to book it out 4 weeks). That gives me time to freshen it up so it will be ready to ride when I get it back. Ordered fluids on Amazon, and a set of Angel GTs on Revzilla.

Also ordered new tires for the Stelvio, which I think I will go ride now.

If it weren't for the 1,800 replies and 144,000 (!) views in these last five-or-so years on this topic, I would have said this Scud-guy was talking to himself. . .  :grin:B);)

• Like 1

Well, I was talking to myself on my ride today, trying to ride the Stelvio like a sport bike on my 200 miles loop to Borrego Springs. On the way home, I balanced out the 3 cases with a 10 pound bag of oranges in each, along with avocados, tangerines, onions, ginger, and cinnamon. I love the fruit and veggie stands out in Pauma Valley. Perfect spring day in San Diego County - hot in the desert, there was still some snow on top of Mount Palomar, and ocean breezes at home. Another thing I like about the Stelvio - 8 gallon tank. If I had left with it full, I could have done that loop easily without stopping for fuel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I wouldn't recommend that for a few reasons. Firstly it will make dressing out the damage more difficult but more importantly it makes it impossible to wrap the perforated tube with woven glass/cloth which you need to do when re packing. It's not a good idea to just stuff glass wool down the can without the woven glass around the perforated section because the wool will blow out faster and the tiny loose wool fibres get sucked back into the cylinder on the overrun at the right revs. Not that it's going to do any real damage but best to avaoid that.

Ciao  

I  must not have been thinking today as I had that very thought when I was looking down the barrel when taking the photo. Its stuck pretty good. I don't want to add any more dings to the pipe trying to remove the end. I see there is a wrap around of fine mesh that must help keep the fibres from easily flying out........oh well I have time on my side. The original mufflers sound nice opened up but they must still weigh a ton!

1 hour ago, Scud said:

Well, I was talking to myself on my ride today, trying to ride the Stelvio like a sport bike on my 200 miles loop to Borrego Springs. On the way home, I balanced out the 3 cases with a 10 pound bag of oranges in each, along with avocados, tangerines, onions, ginger, and cinnamon. I love the fruit and veggie stands out in Pauma Valley. Perfect spring day in San Diego County - hot in the desert, there was still some snow on top of Mount Palomar, and ocean breezes at home. Another thing I like about the Stelvio - 8 gallon tank. If I had left with it full, I could have done that loop easily without stopping for fuel.

Dang, haven't seen you here in a while! Hope all's going well in Dago! 

1 hour ago, Scud said:

Love that Borrego springs run.  Been a while since I’ve been down that way, but that’s a sweet route and area.

And love the 8gal (7.9) on the multi enduro.  Takes the stress out of fuel stop planning.  Rode through Death Valley on Friday, with lots of long stretches of no fuel, and no cell reception (at least not on ATT), and 8 gallons made it easy to just enjoy the sun and scenery.

I rented a stelvio in mandello a couple years ago.... do they all have the 8 gal tanks? Seemed like the tank on the stelvio I rented  wasn’t that big, but thats just my lousy memory banks...

@Rox - all good here now, but it's been a challenging year.

@GMC - I think the earlier Stelvios had smaller tanks. Mine is the NTX. It's a Camel. I rode it through central Nevada on a single tank, I only saw a few other motorcycles out there, most of which were carrying extra gas in rotopacks or other strap-on tanks.

How do you like your Multistrada vs the KTM 990?

I acquired a new Slime air pump.  I wore out the old one because I could never get a gas station chuck to clear the Sport's rear wheel.   I wore out the the threads on the old one and too many missed engagements wore out the pump seals (I guess).   10 years and $20 dollars, RIP.   

The new one has the quick lever engagement.  Took about  a minute to get the rear filled from 30 to 40lb.  Downside, it's about twice the size to store as the old one and only has a cardboard box rather than a vinyl case. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scud said:

@Rox - all good here now, but it's been a challenging year.

@GMC - I think the earlier Stelvios had smaller tanks. Mine is the NTX. It's a Camel. I rode it through central Nevada on a single tank, I only saw a few other motorcycles out there, most of which were carrying extra gas in rotopacks or other strap-on tanks.

How do you like your Multistrada vs the KTM 990?

Multi enduro and Ktm 990 are both fantastic.  Couldn’t decide, so ended up eventually having one of each.  990 is most definitely a better off road machine, although still nothing like a true dirt bike.  The multi is magnificent beast, but at the weight and just overall size is brutal off-road.  Realizing that you’ll need a helicopter to lift it out of a ravine if you dump it makes you ride nervous, which isn’t good. But it’s a fantastic road bike that also does fire roads with glee.  The Ktm lives in Alaska, and the multi is my daily rider.  As a properly obsessive Motörhead  I have more to offer on all that, if you’re looking at either of those for your garage, but will stop there on this thread.
  The v11’s are my beloved mid summer bikes, and the ones I most like to futz with all winter. 

• Like 4

2004 cafe sport

Added ground wire to regulator casing

Installed some swank Rizoma fluid resevoirs 

Removed air box and installed aluminum velocity stacks with K&N filter.

Found ground stud on case loose

Replaced broken fast idle cable

Recrimped start circuit bullet connectors under the tank

Bike seems ALOT more responsive with the velocity stacks and filters

Starter has alot more umph with the loose ground tightened

Still waiting on headers without the crossover and will install thr carbon fiber timing cover when i do.... 

I really love the way this bike rides and looks.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, orangem2 said:

2004 cafe sport

Added ground wire to regulator casing

Installed some swank Rizoma fluid resevoirs 

Removed air box and installed aluminum velocity stacks with K&N filter.

Found ground stud on case loose

Replaced broken fast idle cable

Recrimped start circuit bullet connectors under the tank

Bike seems ALOT more responsive with the velocity stacks and filters

Starter has alot more umph with the loose ground tightened

Still waiting on headers without the crossover and will install thr carbon fiber timing cover when i do.... 

I really love the way this bike rides and looks.

A mistake.

Ciao

Some smart folks in this group here generally are not in favor of the velocity stacks for mechanical reasons, and i've followed that advice with my V11's, partly on its own merit but also based on experience in other machines (which arguably are relevant for comparison).  But i recently acquired a very low mile greenie to "supplement" the 2 Lemans in the garage (gotta keep them company...), which has the velocity stacks installed from the PO, and next winter when i go through it i'll start off with keeping those velocity stacks in place, partly because they look neat, and mostly because i don't have a stock airbox to install at this point.  Fun to play around, and everyone has different tastes and "needs".... i'm not sure what i need from this greenie, but should be fun going through it, and maybe it will end up going back to clean/stock because it has such low miles, or maybe i'll make it more of a one-off since i already have a couple of dialed-in Lemans (Lemans's, Lemans's's...)

Anyway, if you get to where you're trying to tune out any anomalies in how she runs (many of us obsess over that at some point... its a disease), the air intake is something to keep in mind, but that said  if she runs good (or great), and/or looks great, then you've got a winner.   how about a pic to share of the '04?

• Like 1