What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

12 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

just cant find parts tha last these days...13 yrs?

Yeah! My 1987 Kaw EX500 still has the original boots. Only 25K, but 34 years!  Apparently, because they are inexpensive, they tend to last?

1 minute ago, po18guy said:

Yeah! My 1987 Kaw EX500 still has the original boots. Only 25K, but 34 years!  Apparently, because they are inexpensive, they tend to last?

Thirty years ago, Japanese rubber and Italian rubber came from entirely different Universes . . .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docc said:

Thirty years ago, Japanese rubber and Italian rubber came from entirely different Universes . . .

Ya got me worried now...snugged the clamps on the V11's intake boots just yesterday. 

• Like 1

A few wraps of black electrical tape will tame a boot leak until it can be replaced. This is also helpful as a diagnosis - if it runs better after getting taped up, then you have identified the leak - even if you can't see the crack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's mission is to replace all the fuel lines and filter. Even if they're clear of water, they're old enough to show checking. Check. Yesterday's project was to undo the deferred maintenance under the gas cap; the leaky gasket allowed the gas/ethanol/water to collect under the lid, eventually eating away enough paint to plug the drain and really cock things up. So I cut away all the paint that was loose, prepped the rusty bare metal with Ospho and coated everything in about 5 layers of Caswell's gas tank sealer I've had laying around for a few years waiting for the Norton project to come up. I disassembled the gas cap, hoping to replace the rubber gasket but you *know* it's not available separately, so I cleaned and prepped metal and rubber and applied Seal-All to all the surfaces except the tank contact ring. Hopefully that will prevent any future leaks and further attacks on paint and fuel quality. If not, It's $130 for a new tank door assembly- I didn't even bother to call and ask if that's available. Yeesh. 

03BrD4kNwOVQgaXDj5H_N2jXTLfe9zYS0Z3gqnSDD72pPsRJm-7uz6_Mlc0lN6BjIzBV2Q9KQ7sct0mh

I bet that latch mechanism and seal are used on many bikes - and documenting that seal would be a worthy addition to our compatible parts thread. And that's your yellow Sport, right? Not a V11? But looks to be the same fuel door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember struggling to see @Pressureangle's images before and found a work around. Can't seem to figure it out this time. They are some kind of "google user content?"

Apparently, some members can see them?

2 hours ago, Scud said:

A few wraps of black electrical tape will tame a boot leak until it can be replaced. This is also helpful as a diagnosis - if it runs better after getting taped up, then you have identified the leak - even if you can't see the crack.

Scotch 33 or 88 ONLY , none of the cheap stuff

• Like 1

I remember struggling to see [mention=10500]Pressureangle[/mention]'s images before and found a work around. Can't seem to figure it out this time. They are some kind of "google user content?"

Broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, docc said:

I remember struggling to see @Pressureangle's images before and found a work around. Can't seem to figure it out this time. They are some kind of "google user content?"

How about now?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

How about now?

Since a recent update, this forum is only displaying images "directly" (URL beginning with "http") rather than the old "BBCode" (URL beginning and ending with [img] )

1 minute ago, docc said:

Since a recent update, this forum is only displaying images "directly" (URL beginning with "http") rather than the old "BBCode" (URL beginning and ending with [img] )

D72pPsRJm-7uz6_Mlc0lN6BjIzBV2Q9KQ7sct0mh