What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Put on a set of Michelin Road 5 tires yesterday. Only 100 miles on them so far, moderate riding, but they feel great. Lively and stable, more so than the Shinko Verge tires that were on before. The Shinkos were on the bike when I got it about three years ago, looked pretty fresh, and they are not bad, certainly pretty good mileage with them. I found a piece of metal, like an oblong nail head, stuck into the rear Shinko, and while it was not leaking  air (it turned out that what ever the metal was it did not go all the way through the tire), I figured that was a good sign to do what I’ve  been wanting to do for a while and try a higher grade of performance tire. I was also interested in the Metzler Sportec M9 RR, but I couldn’t find the front tire. I have been intertested in the Road 5’s for a while, and am pretty happy. The front is a 120/70 and the rear is a 160/60. The bike had a 170/60 rear on before, and the 160/60 profile no doubt is part of the lively feel. The bike feels lighter! I guess I am changing the overall geometry, too, but I’m not sure exactly how. And fwiw, these tires are made in Spain. I will post periodic updates on how these tires perform for the V11.

BBD76493-5BFB-48F8-9950-32E1954CC96C.jpeg

I also installed a new Odyssey PC545 battery (Hiya, docc!) and a new voltage regulator/rectifier from ElectroSport here in Southern California (made in China, but whatcha gonna do!). The old battery had a wobbly looking case from getting overheated, the bike was eating the 30A battery fuses like they were Lays potato chips, and my battery light would come on around 5k rpm. Now she’s running all of that cool as a cucumber, but I think the headligh bulb is toast. That will be next, this weekend, I just need to get home before dark until then! I love this bike!
Cheers!

It will be fairly soon that I need tires. Will have to watch the Road 5. The 170 vs. 180 rear has some substance to it. Undecided at this point, but the Road 3s do not seem an ideal match with the long frame geometry. 

• Like 1

Put in my Chinese (Made in the USA) Omrons, I could only get 2, so I put them in Fuel and lights/tach.
Not sure if it's a placebo effect, but 2 things have happened:
Mid range steady part throttle feels smoother, hard to describe but theres a turbine like quality around 3500-4000 where it all just feels sorted.  This could be down to my endless tinkering/balancing, but it didn't feel quite the same yesterday.

My ITI tach is now only bouncing after bumps, so on a flat roads the needle is steady. This is different to the metronome like action it had before. The ITI tach isn't grounded inside the housing, it has a multi plug, is there anything else I can do to steady the needle on bumpy roads or are they just crap?

The relay model is G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12 OMRON DC12V, got them off ebay and they took a week to ship from China.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Put on a set of Michelin Road 5 tires yesterday. Only 100 miles on them so far, moderate riding, but they feel great. Lively and stable, more so than the Shinko Verge tires that were on before. The Shinkos were on the bike when I got it about three years ago, looked pretty fresh, and they are not bad, certainly pretty good mileage with them. I found a piece of metal, like an oblong nail head, stuck into the rear Shinko, and while it was not leaking  air (it turned out that what ever the metal was it did not go all the way through the tire), I figured that was a good sign to do what I’ve  been wanting to do for a while and try a higher grade of performance tire. I was also interested in the Metzler Sportec M9 RR, but I couldn’t find the front tire. I have been intertested in the Road 5’s for a while, and am pretty happy. The front is a 120/70 and the rear is a 160/60. The bike had a 170/60 rear on before, and the 160/60 profile no doubt is part of the lively feel. The bike feels lighter! I guess I am changing the overall geometry, too, but I’m not sure exactly how. And fwiw, these tires are made in Spain. I will post periodic updates on how these tires perform for the V11.

BBD76493-5BFB-48F8-9950-32E1954CC96C.jpeg

I also installed a new Odyssey PC545 battery (Hiya, docc!) and a new voltage regulator/rectifier from ElectroSport here in Southern California (made in China, but whatcha gonna do!). The old battery had a wobbly looking case from getting overheated, the bike was eating the 30A battery fuses like they were Lays potato chips, and my battery light would come on around 5k rpm. Now she’s running all of that cool as a cucumber, but I think the headligh bulb is toast. That will be next, this weekend, I just need to get home before dark until then! I love this bike!
Cheers!

Love my road 5’s.  Ran them on previous bikes, and hadn’t really thought of them as ideal for the V11 but they came already freshly installed on Red when i bought her.  The slightly stiffer suspension on Goldie (grade of oil used up front) and the bridgestones vs red with the michelin 5’s makes for a difference that is obvious every time when swapping between otherwise identical bikes.  “Better/worse” would be in the opinion of each rider, but for me the slightly softer suspended, Michelin clad Red Lemans is much preferred. 

Grim - I’d venture a guess on your relay situation that perhaps the weather was just right after you changed the relays and got the “turbine like” running.  There are certainly days when a well tuned v11 will purr more perfectly than in other temp/weather conditions. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Grim - I’d venture a guess on your relay situation that perhaps the weather was just right after you changed the relays and got the “turbine like” running.  There are certainly days when a well tuned v11 will purr more perfectly than in other temp/weather conditions. 

Well, it wasn't 90F today,  my bike does hate the heat.....
The end of our UK heatwave :angry:

Installed Roper plate.

Actually spent most of the day scraping baked on insta-gasket from sump plate(s)/oil pump/everywhere.

Also, why does nobody tell you not to remove the oil strainer? Or at least index it so it isn't impossible to line up the sump cover on reassembly.

I was consistently about 2mm off every damn time I adjusted it, and I did not want to chew up my new (only)gasket.

• Like 2

I hope you got the oil screen sorted. It should only go in one way.

The hole in the screen frame for the bolt is off center, so if you have the plastic frame fully seated in the recess, there is only one position where you can install the bolt. Then it will line up perfectly with the oil-sucker-upper tube (which probably has a real name). 

If the frame of that screen is not properly set into the recess, then stuff could get around the frame and the screen won't be able to block everything it is supposed to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Scud said:

I hope you got the oil screen sorted. It should only go in one way.

The hole in the screen frame for the bolt is off center, so if you have the plastic frame fully seated in the recess, there is only one position where you can install the bolt. Then it will line up perfectly with the oil-sucker-upper tube (which probably has a real name). 

If the frame of that screen is not properly set into the recess, then stuff could get around the frame and the screen won't be able to block everything it is supposed to.

I think at some point it's either been installed wrong, or got hot and warped?

Basically it sits in the recess but one edge fouls it a bit, even installed correctly there is some rotation where the bolt can be done up, enough that when I first tightened it it meant the bottom sump plate was a mm or so off and I couldn't get the bolts in. Maybe I should get a new one.

Finally got the Flagship out today and promptly burned up my rear caliper. I’m assuming a piston was sticking. Been riding the ‘10 all this time and I wondered why it seemed sluggish and down on power. 

Aborted the ride and when I got home the bad news was easy to spot. Hmmm….. I ordered (2) Rear Brembo Caliper Rebuild Kits one for now, and one for posterity as these might be hard to source in the future.

Then a bunch of other stuff from https://www.egpartspros.com/
Gold Rear brake disc, Stop switch, Gasket, Rear Pads, Disk Screws, Brake caliper Cover, Circlip, O-ring, Ball bearings 

That should be a pretty decent rear brake overhaul….

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up taking the dents out and repacking the second TI race can. Polish the headers left to do and I will be back on the road ready for summer and when our current lockdown finishes!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can post in this part of the forum. I actually bought a V11 Sport, a '01 black w/red frame...12k miles...cleeeeeeeeeean! Just need to find a seat cowl. Getting it shipped to me, should be 2-3 weeks to my door.

Totally excited. Can't wait to finally have my big block Guzzi! Woooo!!!

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2001-Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport-5016537693

I’ve seen that one for sale.. it’s pretty! if you can’t find a used one (they are very hard to source) here’s a link to a NOS one:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=64989

The money all manufacturers charge for plastic grinds my ass but that’s the game.

Congratulations and welcome to a rather distinguished club :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mikko said:

I’ve seen that one for sale.. it’s pretty! if you can’t find a used one (they are very hard to source) here’s a link to a NOS one:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=64989

The money all manufacturers charge for plastic grinds my ass but that’s the game.

Congratulations and welcome to a rather distinguished club :thumbsup:

Unpainted for that price...ugh. FOX seems to have black painted cowls...but for 2003-2004...are the different than my 2001? GU006 V 11 Cat. 1100 2003-2004

Your thoughts?

Saddle cover, black

$294.00

I don’t think so, I bought a whole tail w/cowl and that was off a 2003? The reason I suggested unpainted was so you can have it perfectly color matched to what you have on the bike now.  Maybe a pre painted one would match but who knows?

I remember seeing a cowl on eBay a couple three months back with a hole cut in the middle of it. You might also consider looking for a complete tail w/ cowl like I did for the money they want just for a piece of plastic. At least that way you have a spare.

Parts are getting thin…..

• Sad 1

Bike cleaning afternoon today, Greenie & MT01 out of the garage, and treated to degreasing, bug removal etc to smarten them up. Reminded me how heavy the MT is pushing it around the yard, makes the Greenie feel like a lightweight. Two roper plates arrived yesterday, got to order some sump gaskets 

A87847B5-EC75-43F8-B738-FC9CF87D7F00.jpeg