What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Polished and polished (and polished) my new internal pump tank.... This is actually the original colour my bike had before all the paint fell off!

What a steal for £180 with the pump!! 

xoGa2oA.jpeg2EPWEo1.jpeg

Most of the little mark polished out with consecutive paint restorer/polish application. I am rather sweaty now though 🤣

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Grim said:

Polished and polished (and polished) my new internal pump tank.... This is actually the original colour my bike had before all the paint fell off!

What a steal for £180 with the pump!! 

xoGa2oA.jpeg2EPWEo1.jpeg

Most of the little mark polished out with consecutive paint restorer/polish application. I am rather sweaty now though 🤣

Goddamn. Amazing work!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've got a brand new never had fuel in it identical one if anyone needs it. Not that cheap though.

Ciao

In must say, the paint seems much better quality on this compared to my short tank, definitely laid on thicker.

New ones go for about £600 usually, and that's without the pump.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grim said:

In must say, the paint seems much better quality on this compared to my short tank, definitely laid on thicker.

New ones go for about £600 usually, and that's without the pump.

Thicker paint doesn't necessarily mean better. I have another late tank here (same colour in fact) that's "taken a hit". The tank itself is fine but the paint has delaminated in large pieces back to the plastic. 

I had a Ducati 1098 tank ( on a bike that I'd owned from brand new) repainted about 10 years ago and when the painter went to sand it back he found it had been fully painted at least 3 times. He called me up and I had the tank stripped back to the plastic and then he painted it. Seems at the factory they were having some automated paint problems and they just kept feeding this tank back through until it's quality of finish was acceptable. So it had paint about 1mm thick which the painter wouldn't paint over.

Ciao 

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, Lucky Phil said:

I've got a brand new never had fuel in it identical one if anyone needs it. Not that cheap though.

Ciao

Hmm I have a Cafe sport that could do with a new tank? 

9 minutes ago, billgreenman1 said:

Topped off the tank, added star-tron,  rode to work,  rode about 15 miles  after, and wondered if this was the last time this season...

I've lived in Indiana my whole life. Sometimes the season ends abruptly around now and sometimes we're good to mid December. Rare occasion has a nice week in Jan or Feb.

What footgoose sez. FWIW, I put star-tron in a Rosso's tank for winter layover/not much riding, and ended up with the hated bubbles in the finish under the decals. I know.. that's anecdotal evidence, but that was the last bottle I bought..:huh2:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

What footgoose sez. FWIW, I put star-tron in a Rosso's tank for winter layover/not much riding, and ended up with the hated bubbles in the finish under the decals. I know.. that's anecdotal evidence, but that was the last bottle I bought..:huh2:

Interesting.  I’m always highly skeptical of the snake oil products and how they can get a good or bad reputation over time.  Like you say, just one situation, but still an interesting data point, that you got the bubbles….

I’ve used it for quite a few years, and will say that its been fine for me, but of course there’s no proper control set on my end.  A number of bikes every year get it, and none of them have issues, but A) I’ve not had a control set of bikes of the same type and conditions that didn’t have the additive to compare, and b) a few of the bikes already had various damage from ethanol from the past which somewhat muddies the “test” waters.

a much stronger data set was all my household equipment, mowers, blowers, chippers, chainsaws, etc., which i changed over to clear premium only at some point a number of years ago when i learned i could get the clear gas, and like a light switch the following spring all of them operated perfectly as if they hadnt’ been sitting all winter, compared to the headaches i had with most of them after using ethanol/gas in the past.  But no startron in that data set.

I do always put the V11’s (and other bikes) away in the winter with mostly clear premium in them.  I’ll  run the last couple tanks through in the fall with that expensive ethanol free gas, leaving only a very small dilution of ethanol in them, to which i also add some startron, and doing that i have zero issues with paint on my 2 LeMans or the other Italians over the years.  The Greenie has the damaged paint on the tank, but it came to me that way.  Fwiw.

• Like 3

I've always had good luck with the star-tron, but other things happen; like last night I got the dreaded weak buzz click at the relays.  Time to clean and check connections and grounds. If I didn't like the bike so much I would have lost patience with it by now. 

• Like 1

Scary ride ?  Only because it was Halloween.  Well except for maybe the 100's of flying insects that committed suicide on the front of the bike or my helmet.  A riding day like this is why people live in Arizona.  Pictures taken while rolling by my steering stem mounted cell phone on my Scura.

The bridge structure is  the longest two-lane, single-span, steel-arch bridge in North America.  The other picture is inside of a tunnel.

Bonus points for identifying the 2 locations on my loop ride outside of the Mesa, AZ area.

1.jpg

2.jpg