What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

6 hours ago, stewgnu said:

One particularly irritating point is having 4000 wires hooked up to the battery.

I did the same as Tom; added terminal blocks. A jumper goes to each battery terminal, so there are only 2 connections to each battery terminal. 

Installed terminals 700.jpg

Terminal.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, docc said:

That hot positive is notably close to the grounded ECU case.  One must be mindful swinging a spanner there . . . :o

True. Well spotted. :)

Although normally those little screw-on covers are fitted to protect against shorts. :o

Then I always follow the golden rule: " disconnect negative first, reconnect negative last" :oldgit:

Covers on.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, docc said:

That hot positive is notably close to the grounded ECU case.  One must be mindful swinging a spanner there . . . :o

oh gawd yeah- one further point is that my ace h/c fabbo relay is sited 1 inch from the + terminal…

i reckon i’ll live with it a while yet, but them terminal blocks are the way forward for sure.

My monza has 1 wire to the neg, and 2 wires to the pos hahaa!

• Like 1

New Valeo starter (#2), new Odyssey PC545 (#5)*.  First time out on mySport in eight weeks. :glare:

60ºF/ 16ºC, she ran like a Labrador Retriever between the truck and the lake . . . :race:    :sun:

*[My Sport's batteries are "stepped down" into my garden tractor when the tractor's battery expires. Otherwise, mySport would still be on PC545 #3, which is twelve years old and still in service.]

• Like 4

On 2/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, docc said:

Even without the terminal extensions, the tow truck service that came to my rescue when the Guzzi got paralyzed proved that it is pretty easy to make some nice sparks trying to jump using for cars crocodile clamps. We had to finesse the connection to avoid more arc welding.

I was actually wondering if anyone ever used vertical extensions to facilitate a jump start or even connecting a charger. Its pretty tight in there....

33 minutes ago, p6x said:

Even without the terminal extensions, the tow truck service that came to my rescue when the Guzzi got paralyzed proved that it is pretty easy to make some nice sparks trying to jump using for cars crocodile clamps. We had to finesse the connection to avoid more arc welding.

I was actually wondering if anyone ever used vertical extensions to facilitate a jump start or even connecting a charger. Its pretty tight in there....

I carry a dedicated set of "motorcycle jumper cables" in my pannier. The clips are sized appropriately for a motorcycle battery. Here is a set from AF1Racing/Yuasa. Be smart about your connection points and connection/disconnect sequence. I "isolate" my regulator when a jumpstart must be performed. YMMV.

https://www.af1racing.com/Yuasa-8-Foot-MotorcycleScooter-Jumper-Cables

0075475_yuasa-8-foot-motorcyclescooter-j

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, footgoose said:

what is the simple way to do this?

Pull the 30 amp fuse?

Is it worth it? I dunno. Mixed reports, but maybe worth doing for the (hopefully) rare "jumpstart."

I can just pull the "service switch" on my "Alternative Circuit Breaker."

gallery_328_223_1207979.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, footgoose said:

so std electrics.... pull the 30a fuse, jump, re-install fuse?

Exactly.

@MartyNZ knows best  :thumbsup:   :

"Then I always follow the golden rule: " disconnect negative first, reconnect negative last" :oldgit:

Remember: positive to the batteries, negative (last connection to make, first to remove) to a remote grounding point on the jump vehicle (away from the compromised battery that may have out-gassed sensitive and explosive gasses.)

Disconnect the negative from the jump vehicle first. (No spark near the compromised battery.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, docc said:

Remember: positive to the batteries, negative (last connection to make, first to remove) to a remote grounding point on the jump vehicle (away from the compromised battery that may have out-gassed sensitive and explosive gasses.)

Disconnect the negative from the jump vehicle first. (No spark near the compromised battery.)

I added pictures to illustrate the remote grounding point. Not only does this move sparks away from the battery and fuel system, but it also adds a tiny resistance to the circuit to avoid large currents buckling the discharged battery plates.

However I'm not convinced that there is any need to isolate the regulator. See previous topic: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20617-charging-the-battery-hooked-up-in-the-bike-bad-idea/#elControls_236544_menu

Jump Start.jpg

Jump Start 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welldone, @MartyNZ!

Agreed on the regulator isolation being unnecessary. It isn't worth loosening the fuse holder.

No "arc welding" spark should occur with the method you have illustrated.

10 hours ago, docc said:

I carry a dedicated set of "motorcycle jumper cables" in my pannier. The clips are sized appropriately for a motorcycle battery. Here is a set from AF1Racing/Yuasa. Be smart about your connection points and connection/disconnect sequence. I "isolate" my regulator when a jumpstart must be performed. YMMV.

https://www.af1racing.com/Yuasa-8-Foot-MotorcycleScooter-Jumper-Cables

0075475_yuasa-8-foot-motorcyclescooter-j

I will stock compatible motorbike jumper cables at home; but I will not carry them with me.

When I go for rides, I expect my motorcycle to support me throughout the journey, whatever the length, the duration, the weather... I put on some serious mileage on the Le Mans since I got it, and if I had known that repeated starter attempts would have eventually been successful, it would still have a clean bill of health.

In my mind, the Guzzi will never let me down, and I do not need to carry any spare part with me. I left these days behind me back in the 70's when I was carrying an entire tool box with me. Not only for my bike, but for whoever would be stopped along the way.

Hopefully, the Guzzi will never have a major failure when I am out and about. My best prevention against it, is to never consider that it could happen. :)

Call me naive, but I like to think everything is nice and beautiful in this world. I have done a lot of worrying before, and now I have decided only good things can happen to those who keep an objective spirit.