What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

I do, the XP-10. Used it twice so far… to jump my Excursion and my Centauro as it seems to have a electrical gremlin that kills the battery if left in it.  I bring it in my little rear seat bag when I go ride. Nice little zip up case and it stays charged up. Both times I could have broke out the heavy guns, as I was at home but I wanted to try it and actually use it. 

30 minutes ago, p6x said:

When I go for rides, I expect my motorcycle to support me throughout the journey, whatever the length, the duration, the weather... I put on some serious mileage on the Le Mans since I got it, and if I had known that repeated starter attempts would have eventually been successful, it would still have a clean bill of health.

In my mind, the Guzzi will never let me down, and I do not need to carry any spare part with me. I left these days behind me back in the 70's when I was carrying an entire tool box with me. Not only for my bike, but for whoever would be stopped along the way.

Hopefully, the Guzzi will never have a major failure when I am out and about. My best prevention against it, is to never consider that it could happen. :)

Call me naive, but I like to think everything is nice and beautiful in this world. I have done a lot of worrying before, and now I have decided only good things can happen to those who keep an objective spirit.

^This, plus a membership in a roadside assistance program such as AAA, plus keeping up on your maintenance covers the majority of rides.

But for those odd occasions, I still carry the factory tool kit, and a small supplemental kit with tire repair, some fuses and spare relays, a bit of cash... and I no longer carry a shift spring.  I've been using Ride-On tire sealant/balancer on my Stelvio. Thinking about using that on all the bikes and ditching the tire repair supplies (but keeping the little pump).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scud said:

^This, plus a membership in a roadside assistance program such as AAA, plus keeping up on your maintenance covers the majority of rides.

But for those odd occasions, I still carry the factory tool kit, and a small supplemental kit with tire repair, some fuses and spare relays, a bit of cash... and I no longer carry a shift spring.  I've been using Ride-On tire sealant/balancer on my Stelvio. Thinking about using that on all the bikes and ditching the tire repair supplies (but keeping the little pump).

I have roadside assistance with my Insurance and AMA; however the assistance is limited to transport your motorbike to the nearest repair shop. I do not know how it translates to >10 years old Moto Guzzi. When I am far away from any major town, during the Texas tour, I am not certain what would happen. Lots of the small town I have been to have no service at all, excepted for the usual gas station. So far, all my trips have been short duration, basically riding the bike all the time with one night in between. This year, I intend to spend more time at the Texas Tour stops instead of making it a marathon run. Tire pressure is a very important parameter to me. I intend to shoot videos at the three twisted sisters and three twisted brothers. When I overnighted in Leakey, the famously known Frio Canyon Motorcycle stop does not have an air station. Which I found odd, because most the riders coming there come for taking their motorcycle on those ranch roads. Just that day, we had like a 20 degrees decrease in temperature with the previous day, and I could not do anything. So I may need to carry a small air pump. I have air pumps in both my cars.

I have some fuses with me, because they don't take up any space. Tire puncture is a really relevant issue where I live. A lot of the fasteners used to put together our cardboard houses are sowed on the roads; that and the usual ladders and other stuff that fall from the back of the pickup trucks.

I have been looking for a Moto Guzzi factory issued tool kit. My Le Mans did not come with one. I use the space as extra storage for the time being.

Tour Stop 23 Frio Canyon MCS

• Like 1

I recently did a suspension upgrade by adding Racetech fork springs and an Ohlins rear shock that came off of a Scura. Big improvement in the ride of the ‘01 Greenie with these on it. The Ohlins feels great. Also did a tire change before this, going from a 170 rear to a Road 5 160, and I really like the overall set-up of the bike. One thing to mention in case people would like to do the shock swap for a Scura Ohlins, is the Ohlins remote reservoir is a bit longer than the OEM unit, and will mount butt-up to the pork chop to allow sufficient clearance for the throttle body linkage. At least that was how it went for me. I am very happy with the swap, and I even like the color clash of the gold shock reservoir and the red and green of the bike.

2DD54988-3A02-44DF-8C75-993E1C6E0CFC.jpeg

3DA28439-0D42-42D1-A505-BD4B655C561F.jpeg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Yeah, the Ohlins reservoir has to be carefully located to keep from interfering with the throttle linkage. :blink:

+1 on "Don't let your shock reservoir lock your throttle open!" :o

My Öhlins (an Öhlins part, not a Guzzi part) reservoir is 145mm from the base to the top of the adjusting knob. The Sachs is 140mm. Yet, there is a cap on what looks like a Schrader valve on the butt of the Sachs (I never noticed this before! :blush: ) that adds 5mm for the same overall length.

Yes, second that clearance issue.  On my first ride on the new to me V11, I pulled onto the main road and nailed it, great fun.  At about seventy I rolled back the throttle....and it just kept on accelerating.  My first stupid thought was to brake, probably not a good idea, visions of an exploding engine stopped me pulling in the clutch.  Finally my little brain thought of the kill switch, never used one in anger before but it saved the day.  To think I used to bypass those on some of my earlier bikes.  Yes, the white knob had hooked around the reservoir cap, shame Guzzi never fitted a proper two way pull throttle cable setup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In addition to sliding the reservoir fore-to-aft in the mounting collar, realize that the bracket is only mounted to the Frame Side Plate fastener at the nine o'clock position. The reservoir assembly can be rotated downward (counterclockwise) away from the throttle rod "white knob" from that fulcrum?

The "white knob" can also be rotated for better clearance by using the lock nut/ ball fixture on the right side of the throttle rod. (Fiddling with this can make better clearance over the reservoir adjuster, but will affect throttle body synchronization.)

• Thanks 2

That reservoir bracket is "adjustable." If you bend the tabs, you should be able to position it lower and closer to the starter cover. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Going thru Nero Corsa, new svingarm bearings coming this week, ( had to weld a nut and use a treaded rod and a Gardner piston pin to get them out )windage tray installed, 1 of those forever pawl springs, thanks C,, ( gear shifting was very smooth, now, feels more solid, spring differences about 20mm) , new o ring for Rpm sensor 0.7mm clearance it was. Will be busy for a few weeks, inside looked v nice,, ( no Castrol,,, oh well, lot's of oil changing ) outside another story. Yes it takes HOURS cleaning bolts, inside treads and and. But what's not to like, peaceful alone fiddling in the cave. It coud realy hard saying, OK It's late, tomorrow.
Cheers Tom 1be5780652a0911902f3835878de4d9d.jpg9df516a133744615925f152fa3ff68cb.jpg55f6e02069e341e1053ad2d5ccbdc16e.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

F3EA8718-5D26-497D-99E1-6A76F81B951C_1_1

I finally found a license plate frame that I like. It's a whole sheet of silicone on the back. Super tight fit, drain holes in the bottom. No rattling and no sharp edge. Probably need to get a few more...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Broke my damn arm again, just at the dawn of riding season.  Sigh.

But working at half speed to get Red off the winter tune bench, and wrapped up the valves, new valpolini gaskets, plugs, TPS baseline, and TB sync today.  Have not re-checked CO trim, as it means firing up that old windows machine i use for that.  I wouldn’t think CO trim would “meander” on its own, or am I just wishful thinking?  

Will pull left side TB off this week hopefully, and start going through Phils process of getting her tightened up so she doesn’t “drool”.   And get those tank vent lines joined and with a properly placed union down lower so its a quicker R&R of the tank. 

Then will get her off the stand and Greenie up there so i can pick my way through getting her gone through for the first time, for mechanical and cosmetics.  Probably something to mess with this summer while i daydream about riding…

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Scud said:

F3EA8718-5D26-497D-99E1-6A76F81B951C_1_1

I finally found a license plate frame that I like. It's a whole sheet of silicone on the back. Super tight fit, drain holes in the bottom. No rattling and no sharp edge. Probably need to get a few more...

lovely. done,... x3

• Like 3