What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

What brand if I may ask ?

Cheers Tom.

Got mine from AF1 racing..OEM From Moto Guzzi...took about a week...$68 each

GU92218418

• Thanks 3

Wrapped up a work marathon early this afternoon and treated myself to an evening with Bubbles.  What did I do to my v11 today?  Started putting the back end back together.  I picked up this slovenly V11LM earlier this year and have started cleaning, checking, and (the reason for taking the back end apart) replacing the very badly peeling pork chops with a pair of silver chops PO threw in.  So, I'm putting the swing arm back on and I'm having the damnedest (sp.?) time getting the swingarm pivots to seat in the swingarm bearings.  Got the flashligh, lined up the holes, tried again and again, switched sides, flashlight line-up, tried and tried again.  Now, I read a post recently (sorry, I can't attribute this at the moment); poster said grind a little bevel around the edge of the pin so it goes into the bearing easier.  Well that sounds like a pain in the arse.  Anyway, long story short, I'm thinking -- it can't be this hard.  Well, you've heard the expression you can't put a square peg in a round hole.  Also, you can't put a round peg in a round hole when the peg is of a significantly larger diameter than the hole.  Even a hammer would not have helped.

20220302_193206.jpg

Who would have guessed that the spare pork chops take a different diameter pivot? :homer:

The other project for the day was painting the final drive case.  I had some advice (thanks, folks), which I ignored, and went with the crinkle paint.  I did buy a rattle can of a semi-gloss, too, and shot a test piece of both.  Crinkle was a good match to original, so I went with that, knowing: 1) it doesn't look as good as smooth, 2) it's a PITA to clean.  What can I say? :huh2:

Turned out pretty well.  Far from perfect, but perfect on this hard-used bike would be like lipstick on a pig.

20220302_200127.jpg

Anyway, a couple of questions (apparently I don't know how to search on this forum, because I can only get zero results of 4,000 results):

1) Torque on swingarm pivot caps?

2) How much play is acceptable in the eye of the shock mount at the swingarm?

:bier:

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 1

@FreyZI the drive looks good. You should probably remove the crinkle paint where the oil drain plug washer seats. It looks like you only protected the threads with a spare bolt. Did the paint require curing in the oven to get the correct texture?

And on the swingarm pivots - this comes as quite a surprise. I have swapped swingarms and frame plates between various bikes without ever encountering this issue. If the pivot pins have different threads and different diameter smooth surfaces, that means different frame plates have different size holes, and different swingarm bearings would also be required. Like, Phil, I'd appreciate a bit more detail on this. Exactly what is the source of each part and what are the differences? Up to now, I have assumed that frame plates, pivot pins, swingarms, and swingarm bearings were interchangeable within the entire V11 production run. 

9 hours ago, FreyZI said:

1) Torque on swingarm pivot caps?

2) How much play is acceptable in the eye of the shock mount at the swingarm?

1) if you mean the pivot pins as in your picture above, I don't think there is a torque value. I just spin them in with a hex-wrench until the swingarm is equally spaced between the plates and there is no lateral play. Then the large (30mm I think) chrome nuts lock the pins in place.

2) I think damn near none. I've seen this mounting bolt bent slightly on some bikes. Hold it against a straight-edge to test.

• Thanks 1

Pertinent posts specific to this Frame Side Plate/ swingarm pivot variation have been split to a dedicated thread . . .

edit: Dedicated thread regarding the reported two variants of the swingarm pivots/ Frame Side Plates:

10 hours ago, Scud said:

I think damn near none. I've seen this mounting bolt bent slightly on some bikes. Hold it against a straight-edge to test.

Bolt is straight.  Just seems a little sloppy, like the swivel bearing of the shock is a little enlarged.

• Confused 1

Don't feel to robbed about those gold silver 3303 double ball bearings,, after price comments.Up to 150$ for 1 on fleebay, that's 600$ for4. BUT used only 1 nut to get them out..
More Luigi attention today.
Cheers Tom.
801d2d8e079dccff252d2beb9e3f4092.jpg0c853a193974929ebc06c836178c7ee9.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

On 3/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, FreyZI said:

Bolt is straight.  Just seems a little sloppy, like the swivel bearing of the shock is a little enlarged.

Prelude to a shock eye fracture? They do that. Jus' sayin' . . . :o

• Sad 1

Took my silver Sport for its annual MOT test today (this is the annual UK roadworthy test, equivalent to the German TUV). First time out on 2 wheels since Nov last year. I generally get bikes back on the road towards the end of March when the road salt has gone 

BAD7C938-A619-4132-AC1E-57925FAD28A4.jpeg

• Like 6

Very nice collection of V11s, Guzzimax!
Does each one serve a different riding purpose for you, or are you obsessed and just can’t help yourself?

How about of a nice family pic or two?

Your silver Sport looks fabulous.

Cheers!

• Like 1