What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

On 4/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, Gmc28 said:

Like to see how that turns out when done at powdercoater’s…

Reservoir lid turned out great, right?

image.jpeg

Actually, the above pic of the lid is from just the right angle that it doesn't look like someone spilled a jar of raspberry jelly on it.  This is what it really looks like:

image.jpeg

This coating will be stripped. :(

• Sad 2

In other news, I finally landed on a center tank pad to cover up PO's crookedly applied pad and subsequent discoloration.  The new pad hasn't completely resolved the problem, but it's better than how it was.  Another benefit is that we know for certain what gender this bike is now. ;) 

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Reservoir lid turned out great, right?

image.jpeg

Actually, the above pic of the lid is from just the right angle that it doesn't look like someone spilled a jar of raspberry jelly on it.  This is what it really looks like:

image.jpeg

This coating will be stripped. :(

Makes me wondering, was the coater proud and happy to give you the cap :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Makes me wondering, was the coater proud and happy to give you the cap :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

Clearly not, but the chops look good.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Started the dreaded "startus interruptus" operation. Beginning to wish that my hands were small and strong rather than larger and usually tired. Got to the ignition switch and I'm going to replace the Phillips head bolts with hex bolts. My lock body plate is missing one of the mounting bolts and I don't know how to get there yet. Didn't try to take apart the ignition switch yet......

11 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Clearly not, but the chops look good.

image.jpeg

Can’t see clearly, but did the powder coater mask off the pork chop threads OK?

20 hours ago, docc said:

Had to find a safe place to pull over and bump the idle another hundred rpm after the latest Tune-up . . .

IMG_7282.jpg

You weren’t struck by lightning? Must be that clean living. And raw oysters. And bourbon. 

• Haha 2

Well, not today, but have made a few mods on the rear - to save my rear.

First an LED taillight. Came with a smoke lens, but I wanted something a little brighter. So, I found a $10 eBay Ducati Monster rip-off taillight and used the clear lens. 

IMG_3281.JPG

Then fabbed up brackets and added a cheap universal LED brake light atop the license plate.

IMG_3282.JPG

I have this strange aversion to being killed by a somnolent driver. Anything will help, and I have a couple or three LED flasher units (flash 3X then steady) that I can connect to either of the brake lights.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Well, not today, but have made a few mods on the rear - to save my rear.

First an LED taillight. Came with a smoke lens, but I wanted something a little brighter. So, I found a $10 eBay Ducati Monster rip-off taillight and used the clear lens. 

IMG_3281.JPG

Then fabbed up brackets and added a cheap universal LED brake light atop the license plate.

IMG_3282.JPG

I have this strange aversion to being killed by a somnolent driver. Anything will help, and I have a couple or three LED flasher units (flash 3X then steady) that I can connect to either of the brake lights.

All good thinking. I struggled with LED being very unidirectional, becoming alarmingly less visible from even slightly reduced visual angles (read: inattentive driver from the rear, off-center to the lane of travel).

I updated the link in this thread. This simple LED tail/brake unit has been awesome. It was like ten bucks US . . .

I remember learning that LED color must be matched to lens color for maximum effect.

• Like 3

There are many LED strobe units available - all somewhat different as to flash rate and number of flashes. They are less than $2/each if you order from AliExpress and are a bit patient. Somewhat more from eBay and Amazon. The second LED brake light was a snap to wire, as the OEM tail light connectors are the "flag" type and there is plenty or room beside the crimp to solder (or de-solder) the small gauge LED wires alongside.

Rather than drill holes, I routed the wires through one of the grommets under the license plate and behind the middle inner fender plastic and to the tail light connection. I ran them inside a silicone rubber hose so that the 1-inch exposed section is well protected.

As to the narrow focus of the typical LED beam, I aimed the lower brake light where drivers' eyes would be in the bright spot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

There are many LED strobe units available - all somewhat different as to flash rate and number of flashes. They are less than $2/each if you order from AliExpress and are a bit patient. Somewhat more from eBay and Amazon. The second LED brake light was a snap to wire, as the OEM tail light connectors are the "flag" type and there is plenty or room beside the crimp to solder (or de-solder) the small gauge LED wires alongside.

Rather than drill holes, I routed the wires through one of the grommets under the license plate and behind the middle inner fender plastic and to the tail light connection. I ran them inside a silicone rubber hose so that the 1-inch exposed section is well protected.

As to the narrow focus of the typical LED beam, I aimed the lower brake light where drivers' eyes would be in the bright spot.

Thats why you buy adjustable ones.

Ciao

I have the adjustable blink rate unit for the signals and will use one of the strobe flashers for the 2nd brake light. Unsure which. Would like one that strobes three times then solid. But anything that will stop the horrible Seattle-area "drivers" from killing me is OK with me.

28 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I have the adjustable blink rate unit for the signals and will use one of the strobe flashers for the 2nd brake light. Unsure which. Would like one that strobes three times then solid. But anything that will stop the horrible Seattle-area "drivers" from killing me is OK with me.

would you link me to that unit please, and did you have to wire in an incandescent as well to make it work?