What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

In the process of doing this to the clutch and break Reservoirs. If it turns out it looks like garbage.......Ill just try again! 

Recently purchased is the MotoScope Mini, motoscope mini indicators and the M-lock (with the little rice RFID pill thingy) 

All slowly making their way in with the help of some talent. My bike is going to see quite the transformation up front. 

unnamed_zpsy8ficoie.jpg

• Like 1

I have wondered why we have so much fluid volume in the reservoir to sit and gather moisture. :huh2:

The stock reservoir allows fluid to move down into the calipers as the pads wear and pistons extend to take up the wear. Surplus reservoir space allows for fluid thermal expansion as the caliper temperatures cycle. You also get more warning of a minor fluid leak. Jet's thin reservoir looks cool, but he will have to top up the level more often than the standard reservoir. Otherwise it has the appeal of looking simple and clean.
  • Like 1

Valve adjustment with a side of silicone gaskets. A 10-15 in-lb torque requirement from the gasket manufacturer was....interesting...as was the discovery..on the last bolt during reinstallation....that one silicone chad didn't get punched out.

Found the LH side mid-tank fairing fastener had worn thru the paint. I'll see how some gorilla tape survives.....

Ill just VENT a bit. A Person hit my bike today with their vehicle while backing up. (Thankfully it didn't fall over but it was pushed back about 2 feet). I wasn't around. She was trying to get out of a parallel parking stall, I had given myself ALOT of room, she still hit me. Witness said she realized she hit something lots of people turned and shouted at her to stop, which she didn't apparently, nobody got a plate either. 

Only thing I can see broken on it is the Flange between the engine casing and the oil sump (connected to the kickstand). Luckily I have replaced this once before. Echo Cycle in Edmonton can get me the part for 79 CDN and the gaskets and oil filter for another 25, didn't need new oil but might as well get her a new filter too.

Harper is 200USD for the flange, Why the big diff in price? 

Parts will be two weeks. I think J&B weld can be a decent temporary fix for that.  Im more worried the other flange where kickstand is attached too will fail. 

Uuuuuuuuuuugggggggg. Ill lick my wounds and fix this thing. 

Bummer - after escaping one the worst fires in recent memory your bike gets abused by a negligent driver.

But sounds like the damage is manageable, especially if you imagine what could have happened if it tipped. 

Drained and cleaned forks, greased stanchions and replaced the forkin oil- she feels .... Better!

Replaced the fuel level sender .... Still no low fuel light. Hmmmm.... Time to head over to tech topics.

Damn, Jet, sorry about your bike. I've had bikes knocked over while parked a few times, and it gets my blood boiling every time.

You have a good attitude. Good luck with the fix.

Peeling that fugly @#$*&%# black wrinkle paint off my beautiful big block. And wondering why Crown Tuff-Strip removes the paint from the engine in sheets that peel off cleanly but the paint on the gearbox morphs into black gel that sticks like tar.

Hey Jet, that little plug, does it have some kind of diaphragm in it so that air can come in but not water as brake pads wear and the fluid level drops?

Peeling that fugly @#$*&%# black wrinkle paint off my beautiful big block. And wondering why Crown Tuff-Strip removes the paint from the engine in sheets that peel off cleanly but the paint on the gearbox morphs into black gel that sticks like tar.

I think we need to see a new thread documenting whatever you're doing to this motorcycle. Sounds like you've been busy? You have some "before" pics? And some process pics?

I'm going to want to paint my engine soon too - interested in what you learn doing yours. There was some sort of problem with the 2002 engine paint. I think a lot of people got new cases under warranty. The problem was only the fuzzy paint in 2002 on the engine - for some reason, it seems to hold up well on tranny and final drive - at least that's been my experience.

• Like 1

You nailed it - the gearbox and final drive case are a different paint:

Did the final drive and reaction arm yesterday. The paint on the final drive case is clearly different from the paint on the reaction arm and its mounting bracket. Separated the bracket from the final drive case, applied Crown Tuff-Strip, waited 15 minutes (almost) and 99.9% of the paint came off in sheets leaving clean, pristine, virgin metal behind. The remaining .1% came off with a little fingernail scraping. Same with the reaction arm. The final drive case? What a mess. Same stripper, same time, different result. The paint didn't come off. Turned into sticky black goo that had to be wiped off, not scraped. With difficulty. In small sections. Try to do too large an area and the stuff hardened before I could get it all off. More stripper. More wiping. Lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseum. Got into the recesses with Q-Tips. Took 4 or 5 passes to get it all.

Took 3 hours but I got it clean and it's gorgeous.

Started on the engine today. Crown Tuff-Strip takes the paint off in sheets, like skin off BBQ chicken, leaving clean metal. A test on the gearbox showed that it's painted with the same crud that was on the final drive case.

I may strip just the engine...

Wonder what Tuff-Strip would do to wheels.