What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

On 1/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, Gmc28 said:

My MG’s eat fronts first, and my adv bikes burn about 2 rears for every front. 

The Dunlop equipped Goldie lemans rides noticeably “less nice” than the Michelin PR (4?) equipped Red lemans.  I don’t put enough miles on the lemans for me to worry about mileage-for-the-money as much, but I’ve got at least 5k on the rear Michelin in red and it looks to be in fine shape still.

I feel better now that you confirm that at least someone else experienced faster front tire wearing than rear on their V11.

The front was changed before I got the bike (so they told me), and it did about 4000 miles. I could probably take it a bit further, but why risk it... the rear is more than ok, but I want front and rear identical and if I had known, I would have gone Road 6 instead of Road 5.

Had noticed accumulated grime about the timing sensor, so...........

20220128_115116%5B1%5D.jpg

Three 0.6mm shims and an O-ring which had acquired and retained a square profile.

Note to self: If you don't see an O-ring or land once the sensor is removed, ensure you have all the shims off the motor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leroysch said:

Three 0.6mm shims and an O-ring which had acquired and retained a square profile.

Note to self: If you don't see an O-ring or land once the sensor is removed, ensure you have all the shims off the motor.

Welldone, Sir!

My notes say "#112 Viton" for that O-ring . . .

• Like 1

..and your notes (which I used, referenced somewhere else on this forum...TY) are exactly right! Reinstalled with new O-ring, reused shims, and fired her up uneventfully. Need to get the oil viscosity down before I'll render a final verdict.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leroysch said:

I'd check that myself, 1.8mm of shims seems too much to me.

Ciao

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:01 AM, docc said:

My notes say "#112 Viton" for that O-ring . . .

That "Viton" addition is very important in my experience. A PO of my bike installed a non-oil-compatible o-ring there, which had swollen so much it pushed the sensor far enough off the phonic wheel to not make the engine run properly >3k rpm anymore. Took me ages to find the cause...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Newly powder coated sump, I’ve throughly cleaned inside removing all the sludge,ready to go back on the bike now the roper plate is installed

48FE93AB-EA9C-4FA6-A3BC-5D4A08F1DF59.jpeg

FC044664-01BE-4428-A621-D70F189CA76B.jpeg

• Like 3

Roper plate installed, now to mount the oil filter carrier assembly. My small torque wrench is useful for correctly torquing the M6 bolts

47414CDE-D455-41AC-A078-C8AA74B1E771.jpeg

F2C67648-7325-4E48-B557-F87521A72063.jpeg

Before and after pics:

20220202_220744.jpg

20220203_231813.jpg

U-joint greased and reinstalled with cover.  I had to scrape off the grime with a plastic putty knife.

20220203_211340.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

Ooh I want one of those small torque wrenches!

Teng Tools 5 ~ 25 Nm 3/8th” drive. Mid range price & quality. You can spend a great deal on torque wrenches, (as with hand tools generally) and you tend to get what you pay for. The very cheap stuff is useless, might just as well use a normal hex drive and guess

Have a 5 ~ 25 Nm, a 20 ~ 100 Nm, & 40 ~ 200 Nm 1/2” drive, which cover all I’ll ever need 

• Like 1

I have several, from inch lbs. to 200 ft. lbs. FWIW, Ed the Rocket Scientist (RIP) said NASA did a study and found the most repeatable torque was applied by the hand of a skilled mechanic.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger..

• Like 3

I remember references to that NASA study!

An experienced operator suffered a session of "teaching" me to machine a critically dimensional part on a "knee mill" this weekend. A great experience for me! And, I'm pretty sure he'll fully recover from the frustration. :glare:

There were Vernier calipers and reference dimensions involved. :nerd:

But also a lot of "feel" and "eye" . . . . .  :luigi:

• Like 2

I usually go by feel unless it seems like something important. Then when I have to get it apart the next time I invariably say to myself "what!@%&ing monster tightened this?" Haven't stripped or broken anything for about 10 years though....

8 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I usually go by feel unless it seems like something important. Then when I have to get it apart the next time I invariably say to myself "what!@%&ing monster tightened this?" Haven't stripped or broken anything for about 10 years though....

Bill, I see you are Indiana. The Indiana Guzzi bunch meets on the first Sunday of the month at some brewpub. If you are interested, Austin will put you on the email list.

• Like 2