What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

After a couple weeks well below freezing, it 50 degrees today in Happy Valley!  Too much salt and gravel on the roads to take the Tenni out.  Champagne is in too many pieces.  So, pushed the GS across the skating rink/driveway

20220209_122554.jpg

and rode the pork chops to the powder coater.  They'll order a pound and shoot a test piece for me.  I'm thinking the color ("anodized red"), if it matches the swatch, is not cherry enough, but the finish looks good.

Got the swing arm cleaned up today and it looks reasonably good.  It will be a shame to cover it up with the ridiculously large hugger -- maybe I'll look into CF. :whistle:

No, no, no!  This is a parts bike.  Clean it up and ride it.  Don't throw $$$ at it unnecessarily!

We'll see. :rasta:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice GS. Interested to see how the chops come out. My powder coater called today and asked me to swing by and approve their masking. I found a few small threaded bits they had overlooked. Can't wait to see the wheels in gloss black.

• Like 3

Have my Greenie tank at the local painter, who showed me some samples they produced using first their techno-special camera gizmo that gives the paint match, then two other shades created using the old fashioned eyeball to adjust things a bit.  Crazy how the differing light angles and brightness dramatically changed the degree to which it matched…. One that looked great under the special sunlight lamp then looked like a terrible match in the shade. I’ve  painted a few cars over the years and did battle with some paint matching, but that green paint formula is a tricky one.

Did our best to choose and I’ll check back with them this week to see how things are coming along.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Daylight but not direct sun is always best to my eyes. I assume you'll have an original piece to compare to when you get a big enough sample? Were you going to try the formula that someone on the forum worked out awhile back, using House of Color I think? Seeing many photos of greenies and how they can look different, I can believe it won't be easy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Have my Greenie tank at the local painter, who showed me some samples they produced using first their techno-special camera gizmo that gives the paint match, then two other shades created using the old fashioned eyeball to adjust things a bit.  Crazy how the differing light angles and brightness dramatically changed the degree to which it matched…. One that looked great under the special sunlight lamp then looked like a terrible match in the shade. I’ve  painted a few cars over the years and did battle with some paint matching, but that green paint formula is a tricky one.

Did our best to choose and I’ll check back with them this week to see how things are coming along.  

I would only paint a Greenie as a very last resort.  Best of luck.

• Sad 1

I don't know why anyone would hesitate to paint their motorcycle, .. green or otherwise. It's just a process like everything else. It is a multi stage paint but problems or difficulties are easily overcome with knowledge and experience. I suspect Gmc28's paint will 'nail it' and the only ones who'll know it's not factory are those reading this topic. Guzzi did it. It can't be that complicated.

• Like 1

G'day

Yep, before I bought my greenie the shop I bought it from added the wee Stucchi fairing (could only get an unpainted one )  and had it painted locally as well as touching up the paint a bit here and there so I was told.

I was even given a wee can of the paint he used to touch up any chips or to use as a reference or whatever in the future but never used it. 

They did tell me it wasn't an easy thing to get right but this bloke did a bloody great job so if you get a good paint guy it well and truly can be done!

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 2

Yep, it’s a hassle, but seems doable.  I explored the house of Kolor option, but used voodoo and  “gut” and decided to go instead with the photo-match device my local shop guy has had good luck with, and using an original side cover to match it to.  
i also acquired a little stucchi fly screen they’ll paint as well, which came unpainted.

I’ve failed to mention an obvious factor for greenie which is different than the Lemans:  the painted surface area on the sport is clearly dominated by the tank, much more so than the lemans with the fairing.  And my greenie came without side panel covers, so I bought those off eBay, with a variation of UV-fading that’s different than the tank, plus they are small, and mostly not butted-up to the tank.  With the new fly screen being painted the same as the large tank, there’s not a lot of other painted surface that will stand out to contrast a non-prefect match, so I’m probably safe. And if necessary can easily just have them also paint the side covers, pillion cover, and fender, so it’s 100%.

• Like 3

The temperature reached the dizzy heights of 42 F (5 C) today, roads are still salty, and my bikes have been in hibernation since late November. Powder coated sump & roper plate now fitted to the Silver V11. Added Putoline 10w40 oil & filter and it’s ready for the road for Spring. Shuffled the bikes around in the garage to access the MT01. The paints bubbling around the dry sump around the oil inlet pipe, so next project is to remove the oil tank, repaint & refit when I’ve sourced new gaskets. Then when that’s done onto the Greenie, where I need to repair a crack in the front fender and deal with a deep scratch near the base of the tank. Interested to hear how to source this green paint, or if I should leave it up to the paint shop to mix

514E0CB5-A3DE-4566-8AC1-311C6234261C.jpeg

• Like 1

I love these front wheel chocks, easy to use, just roll the bike in, and save a lot of garage space 

BCBC0F55-A548-4D3B-9687-223E053A7F2C.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Guzzimax said:

The temperature reached the dizzy heights of 42 F (5 C) today, roads are still salty, and my bikes have been in hibernation since late November. Powder coated sump & roper plate now fitted to the Silver V11. Added Putoline 10w40 oil & filter and it’s ready for the road for Spring. Shuffled the bikes around in the garage to access the MT01. The paints bubbling around the dry sump around the oil inlet pipe, so next project is to remove the oil tank, repaint & refit when I’ve sourced new gaskets. Then when that’s done onto the Greenie, where I need to repair a crack in the front fender and deal with a deep scratch near the base of the tank. Interested to hear how to source this green paint, or if I should leave it up to the paint shop to mix

514E0CB5-A3DE-4566-8AC1-311C6234261C.jpeg

If my greenie paint comes out well, I’ll post the intel and formula info.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

If my greenie paint comes out well, I’ll post the intel and formula info.  

That would be awesome thanks 😊 

2 hours ago, Guzzimax said:

I love these front wheel chocks, easy to use, just roll the bike in, and save a lot of garage space 

BCBC0F55-A548-4D3B-9687-223E053A7F2C.jpeg

That looks very much like the "Baxley Sport Chock" that lives on my lift. One thing I found is that if that locking hook gets laid over with the chock 'open', it will block the bike from fully engaging into the hold. Could get you halfway to a bad day. I took my "locking hook" off since I didn't think I would get away with that mistake twice.

• Like 1