What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

6 hours ago, Kane said:

So what can be done about the Mistral whistle? I never noticed it until I removed the Db killers.

Yep. In reality nothing. It's the result of the architecture of the cans. Made my bike sound like an old Norton Commando fitted with Peashooters on the overrun. Couldn't stand it so bought Agostinis. They also have that suck back moan sound on every gear shift like a Morris minor 1000 used to have when when shifting gears when I was a kid as well which I dislikes. Mini 850's did the same.  How to make your V11 sound like a cross between an old 20HP budget British car from the early 60's and a British twin motorcycle from the same era. Horrible. I really like the look of them but I couldn't live with the note. 

Leave the DB killers in and save yourself the embarrassment. 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting…. I have Agostinis on Red, and at a glance thought they were the same from the picture.  I still like the “bass note” the stock carbon cans on Goldie produce, but sure prefer the look of the agostini carbons. 

Non-sequitur: I have a bit of a sputter/miss on  Red at about 3500+ rpm, sitting in the shop and running it up.  Wondering if it’s old gas (just from last fall, clear premium, so shouldn’t be…), or if something else is going on.  Does sound like the miss I’ve had on project bikes that had old fuel, and more than once I chased my tail trying to tune that issue out, only to find that refreshing the fuel fixed the issue.  But this fuel isn’t that old.  
Did the usual tuning, and all seemed right, with only very minor adjustments needing to be made on valves, TPS, and TB sync.  Once I have my arm back to be able to ride, I’ll have to shake it out and see if the miss/sputter is there on a road test.

• Like 2

Thought positive was a good thing, obviously not concerning covid. No problem, usually in the cave this time of the year anyway.
Dunlop Sport Smart fitted, titanium bolts for driveshaft, finished regulator upgrade, extra 70amp start relay, cleaning job coming along.
Stay healthy guys.
Cheers Tom.
b3da83bfc7e15027ad32cbb78c298c05.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 5

Stucchi test fitted today, v good fit with the Titan mufflers to , new headlight ++++, what did l not go thru.
Dressed or half undressed, specal. Cheers Tom.
a1a82dcacd67e26c5dfbc6371fa2c860.jpgb5228444e4e1d29ad7febc6d4bc07e42.jpgf5aa3b4a62a7b1eb2bb477150b4a7b3f.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 5

Said who,:bier: :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the rear wheel off, to follow the front to the Powdercoater. 

Had a look at the brakes, the calipers are so dingy I can't stand it, and don't seem to want to come clean. 
Anybody got an easy answer? Next stop here is disassembly and hot TSP. If that doesn't work, I may just replace them with new rather than rebuild.
Now that the rebuild door has been opened, who has parts? I think my master cylinder bypasses a little bit, inconsistent/lumpy action so I want to rebuild everything, or just replace it. My '97 has the black(ish) controls and gold calipers, and a cable clutch so it's not easy to switch the levers to something else. 

I'm tired and a little lazy, so I want someone to serve up answers on a platter. Heck, I couldn't even find confirmation that the master is 16mm, nor rebuild kits. I'd like to have it all in hand before tossing parts all over the bench.

Platter for you:

I got a rear master rebuild kit MG cycle.

Front brake and hydraulic clutch rebuild kits are no longer available.

Calipers:

• Caliper rebuild kits are available from Powerhouse.UK 
  • Diesel fuel in an ultrasonic cleaner works miracles.
  • It's not a whole lot more expensive to just buy new calipers that include Brembo pads pre-installed. And it's a LOT easier... but it's so fun to install the new seals...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Scud said:

Platter for you:

I got a rear master rebuild kit MG cycle.

Front brake and hydraulic clutch rebuild kits are no longer available.

Calipers:

• Caliper rebuild kits are available from Powerhouse.UK 
  • Diesel fuel in an ultrasonic cleaner works miracles.
  • It's not a whole lot more expensive to just buy new calipers that include Brembo pads pre-installed. And it's a LOT easier... but it's so fun to install the new seals...

Well that pretty much sells it. Depending on the price of the rebuild kits plus shipping against new, it doesn't seem likely- but I probably should have an ultrasonic cleaner anyway. 
I didn't find a black 16mm master cylinder, but I did see Greg Field say that 15mm worked fine. Prolly new there too, but I can't say that these didn't get their age and miles fairly.

Not today's decision, fortunately. 

• Like 1

Replaced Needle roller bearing in right hand side of shaft drive. I had noticed a bit of latteral movement. Used slide hammer to get bearing out (Only look 10 light blows with hammer. Bearing had no grease in it just dirty water. Got local mechanic to press new bearing in.  Replaced missing washer. No movement now

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Replaced Needle roller bearing in right hand side of shaft drive. I had noticed a bit of latteral movement. Used slide hammer to get bearing out (Only look 10 light blows with hammer. Bearing had no grease in it just dirty water. Got local mechanic to press new bearing in.  Replaced missing washer. No movement now

I think I need that also, but haven't the drive out. Found a crunchy rear wheel bearing, so they'll be new...ever try to source non-counterfeit Timkens? I ended the day with Koyo, priced and claimed to come from Japan. 

Still that one lousy rear rotor bolt to destroy getting out. 

Today I talked story about my V11. You see, I rent my TWee200 on RidersShare and had a renter today. He asked about all the cool bikes in the garage (which are not for rent). He's in from Ontario, Canada for a workshop on dental implants. He's a dentist. So of course I tell him the Scura's frame was invented by a dentist. "You should read up about it and get yourself a spine-framed Moto Guzzi." I say.

We need more dentists to get into Moto Guzzis. Good things could happen. Maybe an electric Gambalunga. FYI, Gambalunga means "long legged" in Italian. Gambe lunghe e facile da convivere.

• Like 2

We had a southern jet stream driven heat wave role into the Bluegrass country, temps got up to 77 by afternoon. Took the opportunity to pick up my bike and air out any carbon buildup. About halfway home noticed the rear brake was sticking, heated up the rear disc. So we pulled over and pried open the pads with a pocket knife, looks like a rear master cylinder rebuild kit and brake pads are the next items on the parts list. It was a nice ride on curvy roads, bike ran brilliantly besides the brake hiccup.

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

• Like 6