What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Do the contacts just wear down over time or is it a speck of crap preventing good connection?

*I don't know* but I'd expect is is corrosion. I had a fair amount of relay problems with the Mighty Scura when it used to sit for extended periods near the ocean.

Do the contacts just wear down over time or is it a speck of crap preventing good connection?

*I don't know* but I'd expect is is corrosion. I had a fair amount of relay problems with the Mighty Scura when it used to sit for extended periods near the ocean.

Stew . . . which relay? What make was it?

Heh! So sorry doc but as i swapped blindly till it magically fixed, i cannot be certain. Stuff worked- lights and fuel primed when key turned, but no starter turnover. My koso clock has a voltage display setting that was reading around 11.3 ish so i pulled the battery and hooked it up to my optimate for a while. (Oddly, the koso disagrees with my multimeter so i'm unsure on that).

Relay was a 5 pin gei unit.

She's running like a top now though. Even stopped pinking so i am most pleased!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I promised my Scura that I would get back to her soon... But I grossly violated my rule of "one-bike-down-at-a-time."

This is mid-process on a suspension swap between the two K75s. Gotta get my commuter (blue one) ready for another airport run Tuesday - and I may have a buyer for the black one tomorrow. I posted earlier about the black one maybe going to a nephew, but it seems that's not going to work out until he is no longer living with his parents.

IMG_5604.jpg

• Like 2

Ya gotta move out eventually, getting a nice bike is as good an excuse as any! :grin:

Ya gotta move out eventually, getting a nice bike is as good an excuse as any! :grin:

That is funny - but also rings true. I remember well when I was 19 and living at home. I wanted a motorcycle in the worst way and had several arguments with my parents. Then one day my dad said "You can have a motorcycle when you move out." The light bulb went on and I was gone ASAP.

Scud  .    .    .   buddy . . . .  that photo of your garage? Somewhere between inspiring and disturbing. Some mix of Blade Runner and Tron.

Be careful out there, man . . .  jus' sayin' . . . .

Reminds me of this scene from the first Star Wars . . .

Scud  .    .    .   buddy . . . .  that photo of your garage? Somewhere between inspiring and disturbing. Some mix of Blade Runner and Tron.

Be careful out there, man . . .  jus' sayin' . . . .

Reminds me of this scene from the first Star Wars . . .

I found it rather disturbing - and the junk-barge is a funny comparison. Three bikes apart at once is the start of the slippery-slope into junk collecting - and it's technically four apart, because there's a Champagne LeMans with no engine that's not in this picture (it's in the other garage). The wimmen-folk in the house are just shaking their heads in disbelief...  However, the black one is back together now and potential buyer is coming over at 10am tomorrow. Now I just need to check the steering bearings on my blue keeper and put the better forks on. Trying to have it done tonight. Can't wait to ride the blue one with upgraded suspension. Anticipatory celebratory beverages currently cooling...

• Like 2

I just had to cross-post this. It has so many angles on what we are doing to our V11 these days:

docc, on 10 Dec 2016 - 9:07 PM, said:snapback.png

I did some rough math once... and I think it's possible that the "limited edition" Scura is one of the most common variants in the whole V11 series. 

Scura are arthropods belonging to the class Chilopoda of the subphylum Myriapoda. They are elongated metameric creatures with one pair of legs per body segment. Scura are known to be highly venomous, and often inject paralyzing venom.

Ah - the rare affliction of Scuratimitus :ninja: . Clinically, I understand this can make the afflicted sing at the top-of-his-lungs during gear changes on elevation changes with lean angles. Otherwise, Scuratimitus :ninja:  can also be diagnosed using a ratio of motorcycle lifts/jacks&stands : hammers. :luigi:

There is also Pseudo-Scuratimitus in which the afflicted cannot get his V11 dark enough and resorts to zinc chromate :blink: , or worse: *dangerous-ism* (making a Nero Corsa even more nero and more corsa :o )

Funny Docc. For context - Footgoose said Scura were very common, like Centipedes - just turn over a rock and they go scurrying. (so I put Scura in the definition of centipede.)

Anyways - the black BMW sold today. The blue one now has a much better suspension. I drank those beverages :bier:   ...and now I have room in the garage and a little play money so I can get the Scura's Ohlins damper and forks serviced.

Funny Docc. For context - Footgoose said Scura were very common, like Centipedes - just turn over a rock and they go scurrying. (so I put Scura in the definition of centipede.)

Anyways - the black BMW sold today. The blue one now has a much better suspension. I drank those beverages :bier:   ...and now I have room in the garage and a little play money so I can get the Scura's Ohlins damper and forks serviced.

I'm, just jealous Scud. MG obviously hit the mark with the Scura, as evidenced by the last of the line "R", AND the lack of them for sale compared to the rest.

I'm, just jealous Scud. MG obviously hit the mark with the Scura, as evidenced by the last of the line "R", AND the lack of them for sale compared to the rest.

The guy with the Tenni  :helmet:  is jealous of the guy with the Scura? :ph34r:

I don't feel so odd about the zinc chromate thing now. :sun:

Having read on multiple occasions that V11s tended to come from the factory with very little grease, I was disappointed, but not surprised to find the steering bearings in this sparsely-greased condition. In fact, I recently heard a little squeaking from the steering head.

IMG_5611.jpg

There's a lot of grease in there now. But I can't find a torque-spec for the nut on the spindle that puts pressure on the bearings. Coincidentally I recently snugged up the steering bearings in my BMW, and it uses exactly the same 32mm nut. The BMW manual specifies 45nm (33lb/ft). I used that on the V11 and the lower triple-clamp moves smoothly, but with some resistance. Just looking for a little confirmation or further advice before I assemble stuff on top of this.

IMG_5614.jpg

On another matter - we had some discussion a while back about whether an orange speedo needle and a faded tach needle suggest that a speedometer/odometer has been replaced (and therefore the bike might have more miles on it than indicated). You can see that my tach needle faded much faster - and I can confirm that these gauges have been on this bike since new.