What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

But I can't find a torque-spec for the nut on the spindle that puts pressure on the bearings.

I don't think you're going to find that.. it's pretty much a "feel" thing.

The BMW manual specifies 45nm (33lb/ft).

Uhhh, "Vee Vill Do it By Zee Book!!"

Just sayin.. :grin::whistle:

But I can't find a torque-spec for the nut on the spindle that puts pressure on the bearings.

I don't think you're going to find that.. it's pretty much a "feel" thing.

The BMW manual specifies 45nm (33lb/ft).

Uhhh, "Vee Vill Do it By Zee Book!!"

Just sayin.. :grin::whistle:

That, right there, is a perfect example of the difference between my K75 and my V11. But I sure like having the detailed BMW Clymer manual for things that I don't do frequently.

So... the feel of it... It feels ok to me, but it feels like when the steering damper is turned up and the front end is in the air. However, there's no bars, forks, wheel, etc. on right now.  I think (hope) that with all the extra weight and leverage that small resistance will be overcome.  I have under-torqued bearings before and it's not good.

Having read on multiple occasions that V11s tended to come from the factory with very little grease, I was disappointed, but not surprised to find the steering bearings in this sparsely-greased condition. In fact, I recently heard a little squeaking from the steering head.

attachicon.gifIMG_5611.jpg

There's a lot of grease in there now. But I can't find a torque-spec for the nut on the spindle that puts pressure on the bearings. Coincidentally I recently snugged up the steering bearings in my BMW, and it uses exactly the same 32mm nut. The BMW manual specifies 45nm (33lb/ft). I used that on the V11 and the lower triple-clamp moves smoothly, but with some resistance. Just looking for a little confirmation or further advice before I assemble stuff on top of this.

I have always done neck bearings as one would do the old style wheel bearings. I would tighten up the nut till you feel resistance then simply back off a hair and set it there. As you notice it is mostly feel. Some like the steering head bearings tight while of course others like them loose.

I could tell you my rule of thumb but in the end it is really personal feel. :)

Having read on multiple occasions that V11s tended to come from the factory with very little grease, I was disappointed, but not surprised to find the steering bearings in this sparsely-greased condition. In fact, I recently heard a little squeaking from the steering head.

There's a lot of grease in there now. But I can't find a torque-spec for the nut on the spindle that puts pressure on the bearings. Coincidentally I recently snugged up the steering bearings in my BMW, and it uses exactly the same 32mm nut. The BMW manual specifies 45nm (33lb/ft). I used that on the V11 and the lower triple-clamp moves smoothly, but with some resistance. Just looking for a little confirmation or further advice before I assemble stuff on top of this.

I have always done neck bearings as one would do the old style wheel bearings. I would tighten up the nut till you feel resistance then simply back off a hair and set it there. As you notice it is mostly feel. Some like the steering head bearings tight while of course others like them loose.

I do mine like this too.

I do mine like this too.

Well of coarse you do. It is pretty much a given since you do wood work thus one tends to work with there hands and over the years you have learned feel without even knowing it. It is very hard to show these types of things or even explain them. But we do try lol. :)

But then again there are many things with machines that require feel or to say it helps. Just as in when one is operating a machine. But this is a very small percentage as it is hard to explain to someone that if one simply listens to the machine it will tell you what to do and when.

Go ahead and try to explain to someone how to do a wheel stand lol. Ok do one without getting hurt lol.

it helps when being a little bit off either direction does not result in damage, as in neck bearings. Or even old style wheel bearings as long as you check them. 

I can explain a wheelie, but my last one threw me off and broke my leg. So much for knowledge.

Thanks guys. I backed the nut off a bit as you described. Somehow having my V11 a bit looser than my BMW - and adjusted by feel - seems appropriate.

• Like 1

I can explain a wheelie, but my last one threw me off and broke my leg. So much for knowledge.

Hey we all make an oops now and then lol. My last wheelie I had a big oops on was right at 135MPH and broke my darn walkman lol. That was on a little warmed over 79 Honda CBX around oh 26 years ago lol.

And yes we can explain it but I find it does not help lol. So I refrain from doing so except to tell them get a dirt bike and go out and practice. And thus either they learn how or after they break a few bones they give up and go to easier stuff lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Step#4 on the "Decent Tune-up," conditioning the battery overnight and looking for a weather window tomorrow (Christmas Day) to warm the engine, finish the Tune-up and drop the oil. Time to replace that 100,000 mile sump gasket! :luigi:

Merry Christmas, ya'll! :xmas:

• Like 1

Just finished Step#4 on the "Decent Tune-up," conditioning the battery overnight and looking for a weather window tomorrow (Christmas Day) to warm the engine, finish the Tune-up and drop the oil. Time to replace that 100,000 mile sump gasket! :luigi:

Merry Christmas, Docc, and thanks for all you do for us.  :bike:

• Like 4

y'all ..... You hear ( or I have ) this term all of your life . It looks unusual to see it in print .

Thanks, gentlemen! It's a pleasure. I appreciate ya'll puttin' up with me :blush:  (Heh, worked in another "ya'll" .  .  . .  .  .  and even a  *  puttin'  * :grin: )

Gave the Sport her Christmas presents today: :luigi::xmas:

IMG_0785.JPG-2.jpeg

IMG_0788.JPG_2.jpeg

IMG_0789.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0790.JPG.jpeg

• Like 2