What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

As Pete has said, "as different as chips and cheese.."  :)  The Norge is hard to beat as a long distance mile eater. The V11S will get you there in less comfort but be a more capable mount in the gnarly bits. Both have that great Guzzi motor, which is what a "motor cycle" is all about, IMHO. I haven't met a Guzzi yet that I didn't love.

Perfect description, it's the reason many of us have multiple cars and motorcycles...each one has a unique personality and feeling.  Thankfully there's enough room to accommodate all of the toys...now I'm drooling over that Coppa Italia!  A friend of mine here in Houston, Texas had one and sold it a couple of years ago...pity I wasn't ready to buy at the time, I should have snapped it up!

Perfect description, it's the reason many of us have multiple cars and motorcycles...each one has a unique personality and feeling.  Thankfully there's enough room to accommodate all of the toys...now I'm drooling over that Coppa Italia!  A friend of mine here in Houston, Texas had one and sold it a couple of years ago...pity I wasn't ready to buy at the time, I should have snapped it up!

There's one here for sale. Immaculate condition.

Watching the bidding action here Swoosh!  Are you going to go for it perhaps?

No, let's see where the ebay one goes. I think this one is being offered at $11k.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start with yesterday, its happier :-) ...... Yesterday I reinstalled my stucchi (or is it stucci?) x-over after getting a couple of lambda sensor bungs welded on.. While that was being done, it was oil/filter change, sort out a couple of minor oils seeps  - one of which ended up being a thread repair to the spacer between sump and crankcase, sigh - and prepare the wiring to receive my new air/fuel ratio meter. Finished mid evening so it was a quick shakedown ride then beer time for the remainder of the day with a reverie of a perfectly fuelled monster filling my thoughts.

Or so I thought.... Hit the end of the beach road to a set of red lights, still rolling when I got there so back up to third and turn on the gas. No action...... false neutral methinks, so back into second and clutch out again.... still nothing. Flailed around a bit searching for any cog at all then slumped to the roadside to have a look. When I pulled up and got off, there was no neutral light, and with the engine running the shaft was spinning!! So thats a transmission failure then. The shaft was mobile on entry to the bevel box so game over. Still needed that beer though.....

So to get back on topic, what I did to mine today was to inspect transmission (symptoms confirmed; shaft spins, wheel don't), remove the bevel box and strip it. Now I'm a novice at the mysteries of bevel boxes. In 15 odd years of guzziriding, I've never one break on me. So my diagnoses should be taken with the proverbial pinch of snuff, but the only engineering issue I found was play in the needle bearing at the end of the input shaft/ pinion shaft. When the shaft was removed from the housing, there was a pitted scuffed area for half the width of the needle bearing, 7mm in from the end. What seems to have happened is that failure of the needle bearing permitted enough movement in the shaft for the crown and pinion to disengage. So guys, it may be academic as I'm now trying to source a suitable used replacement to reduce loss of summer riding, but such a sudden failure with no great gnashings of teeth or other nasty noises to announce its arrival seems very odd. I really would have expected a bit more notice..... Anyone got any opinions?

I did upload some photos to botofucket, but it won' t let me copy the addresses to upload them here, so there we are. Everythings feckin broken, but I do have some more beer :-)

I did upload some photos to botofucket, but it won' t let me copy the addresses to upload them here, so there we are. Everythings feckin broken, but I do have some more beer :-)

Ditch Photobucket.

• Like 1

Ditch Photobucket.

Watch for ImgZeit

• Like 1

Haha - that's how it's done. Are you going to cut a notch out of the collar for future access?

Nice copper hammer.

Haha - that's how it's done. Are you going to cut a notch out of the collar for future access?

Nice copper hammer.

I was trying to figure out where to put the notch.

Yeah, I used the Cu hammer to drive the lower gearbox support out of the stilettos. :luigi:

Oh, it was all going so smooooothly, until I moved to slip one of her stilettos loose . . . :o

. . . I suppose there's no getting to the "clutch" if it all snaps to a stop at that! :blush:

Yesterday I changed three tires. Replaced the Greenie's 180 with a 160 - and a pair of tires for my K75s. I got the little brick's wheels powder-coated in gun-metal grey, which looks nice with the blue. And it got me thinking... since I may need brake rotors for the LeMans soon, that would be the time to refresh the wheels and maybe change the color. 

Here's the gun-metal grey wheel from the BMW up front, and the silver rear wheel from the Greenie. What do you think?

IMG_6527.jpg