What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Somewhere on this site , a guy installed a return spring to hold this mechanism up and in place . Find it and do yours like this and it will never fail .

Somewhere on this site , a guy installed a return spring to hold this mechanism up and in place . Find it and do yours like this and it will never fail .

I posted this    http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19827

There is another guy doing it as well. A link is in the above linked post.

I am awaiting a 'pile of stuff' delivery to make one of these up. Should have it complete enough to post something in a few days. I have a prototype assembled, but wanted to get the 'end result' parts chosen before drilling a hole in my cover plate. Basically copying the photos from the Japanese mfg. They could not be reached. I will post the results in the above thread.

@Footgoose, this might be a winter project. I'm thinking of replacing with another replacement spring. The dudes at MG Cycle said they hadn't heard of any other reports of breaking.

Weighing against coming up with a home brew system and the fettling it's going to take for it to be right, will for sure have me going into the pre-selector a few times. On top of that I don't have a way to accurately drill the hole flat.

In the Midwest the riding season is short and I have a little bit of a ride coming up I don't want to miss.

Going to live dangerously...

Checked oil level in transmission. Looks good. 

Next front tire pressure....

post-5983-0-05261600-1501287695_thumb.jp

Gives me a real sense of solidarity. :mg:

IMG_2563.JPG.jpeg

Those last two pictures are really scary. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Prepare to avert yer eyes when toofat2fly goes after that front tire pressure! :grin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I actually made a little progress on an ongoing project with the Tenni. A couple months ago, I figured I'd better get the RAM clutch in, in place of the potentially problematic aluminum flywheel. So, with the aid of the forum, I went the "motor out" route, so I could strip and paint the block. Fast forward to today. Motor + paint + RAM + time = got it installed and off the floor... onto my recently purchased Harbor Freight bike lift. I picked up a used HF bike stand on CL and bolted to the lift. All I need now is a string of fancy lighting like Docc's.

IMG_0193.JPG

The paint I used is Dupli Color Hi Temp engine primer and Ford semi gloss black. It's a bit glossier than the frame black, but I didn't want it too flat. I hope the quality exceeds my expectations. The sump is not painted yet. I'll do that when it comes off for the Roper plate.

blockpaint.JPG

• Like 4

This evening I hooked up to my bike with Guzzidiag(first turning off Norton antivirus so it won't erase Guzzidiag every time I open it, anyone know how to fix that?) to get an idea of TPS voltage at 10% or so throttle. I'm trying to get rid of the 3000rpm, very light throttle lean surge and intake backfire, by adding some fuel there.

Meinolf kindly sent me a map/BIN file he is running. The bike runs sweet, much smoother and more responsive but the 3000rpm lean spot got worse. I have yet to buy a air/fuel datalogger so I can fine tune the fuel map to my bike.If I get really lucky I will have a bike that runs when I am done.

This evening I hooked up to my bike with Guzzidiag(first turning off Norton antivirus so it won't erase Guzzidiag every time I open it, anyone know how to fix that?) to get an idea of TPS voltage at 10% or so throttle. I'm trying to get rid of the 3000rpm, very light throttle lean surge and intake backfire, by adding some fuel there.

Meinolf kindly sent me a map/BIN file he is running. The bike runs sweet, much smoother and more responsive but the 3000rpm lean spot got worse. I have yet to buy a air/fuel datalogger so I can fine tune the fuel map to my bike.If I get really lucky I will have a bike that runs when I am done.

No matter what map, you still have to index the map to the TPS "157 mV" baseline with the throttle plate fully closed, and zero the CO Fuel Trim.

Oh, and the valve adjustment, balance the Throttle Bodies . . .

Starting point: Decent Tune-up

• Like 1

No matter what map, you still have to index the map to the TPS "157 mV" baseline with the throttle plate fully closed, and zero the CO Fuel Trim.

Oh, and the valve adjustment, balance the Throttle Bodies . . .

Starting point: Decent Tune-up

Yes, all that is done. Meinolf recommended 11 to 12 thousandths valve clearance intake and exhaust, as the take up ramps on the V11 cam are very long. Since he seems to be somewhat of a genius I went with .011". The valves are a bit louder but still quieter than a BMW airhead.

• Like 1

Last week: Swapped springs between the saddle release cable and the high-idle cable. Both work properly now.

36367035111_973a0bd84e_o.jpg

Installed missing trip odometer reset knob. Much easier to determine when to stop for fuel now.

36367035631_f05c6dc555_o.jpg

Raided my Aprilia spares and replaced a few missing screws & nylon washers on the side covers.

36108345440_e0e77bb3b3_o.jpg

Yesterday: Got stuck in 3rd gear a few miles into my ride to work. Is this the authentic MG experience?   :D

Raided the spares for an M6 screw and washer with a dab of Loctite.

35695630623_69af886823_o.jpg

Ha - I think learning that most "transmission" problems are really linkage problems is an authentic Moto Guzzi V11 experience.  So is making all manner of minor adjustments and improvements to the bike.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

IMG_6760.jpg

Today I parked a 2016 BMW S1000RR next to my LeMans - after taking it on a 180 mile romp up a couple mountains. The bike belongs to a friend who only rides it on the track. When he offered that I take a ride on the street, I jumped on the chance.

OMG... fast.  173 horsepower and 0-100mph in about 3 seconds.  I think I did something for 4 seconds... but it's all a blur now...  :whistle:

Surprisingly comfortable (although it was not so pleasant in slow-moving traffic on the way home and I was ready to get off after 4 hours). The handling is so precise. I gave the brakes a serious (but still non-ABS) test when a tractor pulled out into the road. But the most amazing thing about riding this bike is the shifting. It's a got a manual (not hydraulic) clutch, but you don't need it except from a start or to find neutral. The bike has sensors on the linkage; it rev-matches the engine for you - so you can just shift under full throttle and it blips in almost imperceptibly. A little roll-on before downshifts helps. The chassis is totally oblivious to the fact that the drivetrain is shifting. You can shift at will in corners... while braking... whatever... it doesn't care.

I've never ridden a bike with so much electronic wizardry. I don't think I rode it hard enough to have activated the traction control - but it was kind of cool to know it was always there as a backup. And the launch control? I resisted the temptation to try that.

Truly amazing to see where technology is taking the sport. But gosh... it's so stable that is feels like it's going much slower than the indicated speed. And while I didn't meet with any enforcement today, I think I'd get in trouble if I rode something like this on the street regularly. She just keeps asking "Do you want some more?"