What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

To clarify, my use of the term "vapor lock" refers to intense sputtering at low RPM in hot ambient conditions at low speeds (e.g. stop and go traffic).

Hmm, that could be "other things", then . . .

The more commonly reported "vapor lock" has been a No Start condition after the bike has been shut off hot and attempt to restart as in a fuel fueling stop or other relatively brief interruption in operation.

• Like 1

Took bike for a good long ride today in very hot weather to test out recent addition/replacement of heat shielding and subtle re-positioning of various items under the fuel tank to avoid radiant heat.  My low RPM cough is now virtually gone, and I am happy with the results of this fiddling.  My bike has always run like a top for 3 seasons and then was not very happy in summers. Now the bike is perfectly ride-able even in stop and go traffic in the heat.  OK, I do still have a very slight stumble between 2-3K RPM but I have always had it and it is 2nd nature to me to compensate for it after 50K miles on this thing. 

(edited typo in stated mileage)

• Like 1

After installing a different set of exhausts (same model, insurance) and filling her up with a full tank of EUR95 fuel, she was pinging badly in the range of 4k-5.5k rpm at WOT.

It was hot that day, around 25degC, which usually worsens it quite, but still. It was bad.

I've had my suspicions of the TPS for a while now, because of some coughing at idle and around 3k rpm. She is standard aside from airpods. Made some graphs using GuzziDiag and identified a hump at the same position each time. Using a multimeter I read out the resistance, which also moved quite a bit whilst slowly opening the throttle. I had enougj reason to spend the money.

Purchased the PF3C from Exactuk.com for about 90 eur. Installed her today, went for a ride at 35degC(!!). At this temperature, still with the same 95 fuel in the tank, I would accept some minor pinging/detonation.

Ho

Ly

Mo

Ly

What a difference. Idle is better (she now can idle at 1000rpm - still likes 1100rpm better though - but never could do that), and she pulls like a freight train. Some minor pinging at WOT around 3k rpm, but hey, I don't spend a lot of time there with WOT anyway and it was hot outside and I still had the same 95fuel.

In short: if you really suspect your TPS:

- The PF3C from ExactUK.com works perfect

- It really is worth it!

• Like 1

After installing a different set of exhausts (same model, insurance) and filling her up with a full tank of EUR95 fuel, she was pinging badly in the range of 4k-5.5k rpm at WOT.

It was hot that day, around 25degC, which usually worsens it quite, but still. It was bad.

I've had my suspicions of the TPS for a while now, because of some coughing at idle and around 3k rpm. She is standard aside from airpods. Made some graphs using GuzziDiag and identified a hump at the same position each time. Using a multimeter I read out the resistance, which also moved quite a bit whilst slowly opening the throttle. I had enougj reason to spend the money.

Purchased the PF3C from Exactuk.com for about 90 eur. Installed her today, went for a ride at 35degC(!!). At this temperature, still with the same 95 fuel in the tank, I would accept some minor pinging/detonation.

Ho

Ly

Mo

Ly

What a difference. Idle is better (she now can idle at 1000rpm - still likes 1100rpm better though - but never could do that), and she pulls like a freight train. Some minor pinging at WOT around 3k rpm, but hey, I don't spend a lot of time there with WOT anyway and it was hot outside and I still had the same 95fuel.

In short: if you really suspect your TPS:

- The PF3C from ExactUK.com works perfect

- It really is worth it!

Looks like the same TPS from California Cycle Works in USA

Is this the replacement that has a slightly different curve than the original TPS? I think that certain Harleys use it too?

Is this the replacement that has a slightly different curve than the original TPS? I think that certain Harleys use it too?

The PF3C is the OEM Magnetti-Marelli TPS for the V11.

I am using the PF4C sourced form H-D for the Buell with the "different curve."

• 3 weeks later...

Converted to handlebars...!

Bought a Cafe Sport triple off of Ebay, stripped and polished it, installed some Mika Metals risers and a Biltwell low-rise tracker handlebar (it was the lowest rise I could find). The bars are chrome-moly and not aluminum, which helps with the vibrations and allows me to use my existing Salamander bar-end weights.

Careful re-routing of the hydraulics eliminated the need to get extended ones.

The little bikini fairing is from Puig, which I rattle-can painted...not exact match but close enough.

The result? Love Love Love it. My neck is really bad and I can't turn my head when using clip ons. This set up is much better and safer, too, as I do more head checks when it doesn't hurt like hell to do so...... ;)

I call it my "V11 Tuono"...it's a total hooligan machine.

XaaKSBQ.jpg

Y1N56DV.jpg

62Zc1tD.jpg

• Like 2

This. It has too many "flakes" in the paint, buts it's fine. Bike isn't a garage queen. Maybe when I replace all the hydraulics at the next major service (they are getting old) I will repaint it with something closer......"It'll never be seen from a galloping horse"

Looking at it now, the Puig fairing has an under-fold that echoes the fold in the tank, and the inside profile matches the profile of the instrument cluster. The shape is pretty good, looks almost like a stock fairing.

Next up, new tires.....

Qad2mjp.jpg

I agree, the fairing works quite well. notch for bars in a good spot. like it's made for it. I have those weights on the sport clip-ons. nice 'n heavy. I'm surprised if you still don't have considerable vibration with the wider bars mounted solid. How is it?

The vibrations seem fine, nothing notable, but haven't done a longer trip yet....riding LA>SFO (about 400 miles) soon, so that will be a good test.

I had a lot of vibration with the Woodcraft clip ons too, keeping the cylinders in balance (and the bike in good tune) helps a lot with that.

• Like 1

Well, did this about 3 weeks ago. The faded gauge pointers were bugging me to no end, so.....I sent them off to North Hollywood Speedometer and they re-did them to properly iridescent. By the way, this impeccable machine will be posted in the for sale section once I figure out how to post up the veritable plethora of revealing machine and included accessory/replacement part photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

-doc

Oh, and changed tires earlier in the week too. Prior owner literally babied this thing riding it once in a great while and even then - very, very, gently as evidenced by the huge chicken strips. Looking at the date codes, these were almost TEN years old! Which also explains the ridiculously low mileage accumulated over the years.

V11%20-%204Sale-%20front%20tire%20date%2

V11%20-%204Sale-%20rear%20tire%20date%20

V11%20-%204Sale-%20R%26R%20rear%20tire.j

V11%20-%204Sale-%20removing%20wheel%20we

V11%20-%204Sale-%20rear%20tire%20balance

V11%20-%204Sale-%20New%20rear%20tire%20(

-doc