How do I use the factory stand?

Jazzamoto

OK I give up. I recently bought a 2004 Cafe Sport which came with the factory rear stand. Front what I can tell it takes two people ( or one large long armed orangutan) to use this contraption. Can someone clue me in on the trick to this thing? Or better yet, direct me to a video.

There are scratches and gouges on the bottoms of both pork chops which suggests previous owners have had the same struggle. I've got a list of things I need to do on this bike and need to get it's ass end off the ground. Help!

John A

Well, I can't do it and take pix at the same time, but basically stand the bike vertical or a little toward you and fit the stand notch on the nut you can see using the handle in your right hand. Peer over the seat and see where the stand is in relation to the opposite nut.  Get it close, still using the handle with your right hand. Push the handle down a little, and you'll feel it engage. (or not)  :glare: This will also move the bike more to the vertical. Be ready for that. No need to let it fall over on it's right side. One last look to make sure it is engaged, and push the handle down.

Nothin to it.

I have factory stands for both my V11's

I have used them for the last 8 years and have never been able to use them easily....every time I try to put one on or take one off a stand I always think I'am going to a. write the bike off b.severely damage anything nearby ,and c.risk a groinal hernia.

They are one of the typical Mandello ideas that looked good on paper, appeared to be a good idea at the local coffee shop/ wine bar and ended up as totally useless and even downright bloody dangerous!!

Also, in typical Mandello fashion they are still available after 15 years or so, totally un-changed.

And they still don't work properly.

Oh how we love such Italian eccentricities

Andy

Well, I can't do it and take pix at the same time, but basically stand the bike vertical or a little toward you and fit the stand notch on the nut you can see using the handle in your right hand. Peer over the seat and see where the stand is in relation to the opposite nut.  Get it close, still using the handle with your right hand. Push the handle down a little, and you'll feel it engage. (or not)  :glare: This will also move the bike more to the vertical. Be ready for that. No need to let it fall over on it's right side. One last look to make sure it is engaged, and push the handle down.

Nothin to it.

Chuck, thanks for the quick reply. What side of the bike are you standing on? If I stand on the left (shifter) side of the bike and try to lift the arm towards the rear it fouls the exhaust. From this I assumed that the stand works in the opposite direction ie I stand on the right side and the arm is raised toward the front of the bike.

I've been down in the garage making a few more attempts with no success. Guy accross the street kinda looks like an orangutan. I think I'll invite him over.

I have factory stands for both my V11's

I have used them for the last 8 years and have never been able to use them easily....every time I try to put one on or take one off a stand I always think I'am going to a. write the bike off b.severely damage anything nearby ,and c.risk a groinal hernia.

They are one of the typical Mandello ideas that looked good on paper, appeared to be a good idea at the local coffee shop/ wine bar and ended up as totally useless and even downright bloody dangerous!!

Also, in typical Mandello fashion they are still available after 15 years or so, totally un-changed.

And they still don't work properly.

Oh how we love such Italian eccentricities

Andy

Andy, thanks for the sympathy. I suppose by this time I should know better. Never thought I'd miss my Multistrada but that Ducati Performance read stand was bullet proof.

There are few alternate methods of lifting the bike. I know you're trying to use what you have (and I have no experience with the factory stand), but if you feel inclined to buy something else, I'll say that I am very pleased with this platform jack:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist-Stand/dp/B00E8HGCEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451782410&sr=8-1&keywords=platform+jack

I have a factory stand and it is an event when I go to put this up ! I have installed a wheel on the handle to where I can move the bike around.

Be aware it is difficult  to not  scratch sacred areas on your bike !

• Like 1

I love my factory shop stand, and having engaged it from both sides (the left being more *natural*), I most often lift mine from the right, with the stand handle dropping forward.

• Like 3

Keep in mind , there will come the day when ( you , motorcycle & stand fall to the ground ) you will say the F word loud enough everyone in a 10 mile radius will know what happened .

Here is how I do it:

Starting from the left with the bike on the sidestand.

1.  Engage both tops of the stand on the porkchop nuts.  Do not tilt the bike, it is still resting safely on its side stand.  This means one wheel from the stand is not on the ground.  You can look over the bike to see both nuts engaged in the stand.  (I am only 5'4", so I am certain everyone else can do it).

2.  With my right hand on the stand lever I put my left hand on the seat and simultaneously push the handle down and the bike vertical.  This get the stand wheels on the ground pretty quickly and the bike is relatively stable.

3.  Then push the handle all the way down and the bike comes up.

I have never even come close to dropping the bike this way. 

• Like 1

After a day of futzing around in the garage (it's been raining like hell) I think I've come to terms with this thing. I agree with Bogwopit that not much thought went in to the design process. Can't imagine why you'd purposely want a stand to rotate on a hexagonal nut. The poor nut won't be hexagonal for long. Also there's the unavoidable issue of scratching the lower frame plates while trying to place the stand in the correct position on both sides. Finally, at least with my stand, the lifting arm fouls on the left muffler when I try to raise the bike. So here's what I've done to make the stand work for me.

1 - I took a Dremel tool with a grinder head and lightly rounded the the very sharp inside edges of the stand risers to reduce the possibility of scratching.

2- Out of $20 worth of bits and pieces from the local hardware store I built a small fixture which attaches to the stand risers. The purpose of the fixture is to locate and  
support the stand on two 18mm 3/8" drive sockets which are placed on the frame hex nuts. I got the idea from looking at an image of the BeckerTechnik stand (thanks Nobleswood! I didn't think they were available in the US),

3- Then I put the whole mess on my bench vise and gave the lifting arm a few serious tugs which bent it enough to clear the muffler.

And this is how I raise the bike. I put a scrap of 2 x 4 under the sidestand to bring the bike closer to vertical. I place an 18mm socket on each hex nut and, using the fixtures, I attach the stand to the 18mm sockets (doesn't matter which side first). The large 12mm bolts hold the sockets on the hex nut and are just finger tightened.
The stand is now attached to the bike. A yank of the lift handle and she's very smoothly up. In the pic you can also see a piece of thick felt packing material surrounding the socket just in case the stand decides to go for a walk which, so far, it hasn't. So now I've got a usable rear stand which is easy for me to use and won't damage the bike in the process.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

John (under water in the East Bay, finally!)

IMG_0398__1452111915_73.158.10.207.jpg

• Like 2