Not everyone would watch (and listen!) to 27 minutes of car noises. Admittedly, I have a decent sound system to play these sonorous tracks through. I got hooked in the first six minutes thinking, "Nothing here wants to idle or run at less than 5,000 rpm!" (Just like mySport . . .)

Then, they turned them all loose!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, docc said:

Not everyone would watch (and listen!) to 27 minutes of car noises. Admittedly, I have a decent sound system to play these sonorous tracks through. I got hooked in the first six minutes thinking, "Nothing here wants to idle or run at less than 5,000 rpm!" (Just like mySport . . .)

Then, they turned them all loose!

Lovely. You know docc for me the sound and "feel" of a vehicle are massively important and why if I'm forced into a situation where every vehicle I own has to be an EV I'll just find another hobby/interest. Don't mind an EV Daily Driver in the slightest as a conveyance to get me from A to B but I could never become an EV "enthusiast". Too much character missing.

As an aside my car has FENG ( fake engine noise generator) which is fake exhaust sound through the audio system, totally pathetic and it doesn't really need it anyway. That's maybe the EV future, a fake " emotional" system. You'll be taking your car to the mechanic because it "doesn't feel good" and he'll reboot the "emotion" generator. God help us all.

Ciao  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Electric(al) on cars makes sense to me. Like this insane yellow (Accel?) coil that @Tomchri shared with us last year. Pretty sure "dual quad Holleys on a tunnel ram" offer up emotion enough! Maybe some "Hooker Headers" to stir the mix . . .

IMG_0008.jpg

• Like 4
20 hours ago, docc said:

Electric(al) on cars makes sense to me. Like this insane yellow (Accel?) coil that @Tomchri shared with us last year. Pretty sure "dual quad Holleys on a tunnel ram" offer up emotion enough! Maybe some "Hooker Headers" to stir the mix . . .

IMG_0008.jpg

Some things will not be forgotten. Old HEMI'S do have a spesial way of singing to, she was a Keith Black edition.    Fresh battery was a must, serios carb fire every startup, hi lift cam. Hit the starter again and suck in the flames,, there we go.   Chrashbox, was it AP 833 ? And yes Doc Hooker headers.  Fuel lines = garden size hoses, but fun fueling  that Belvedere, real family car.  Wish I had a sound track.  First dragrace in Norway was in 1978,:rasta: runner up there with a 71 Charger R/T.  Bla bla campfire talk. IPA time.

Cheers Tom.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

My first car was a '62 Volvo PV544 built from two ( one and a parts car) frame up rebuilt by my father and me total cost including a  newly found interior maybe $1200. I  loved that car and still have dreams about it. Crashed it in 1989. Unit bodies are nearly impossible to straighten out...  My present car is just a box with 4 wheels. 

• Like 1

First vehicle I bought as a seventeen year old was an original (with patina) 1939 Ford pickup small truck with V8 side valve motor, 3 speed, running boards, big bullet lights, split window that an old retiring Italian used for decades carting sandalwood.

Loved it!

Then I was stoopid...

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha 

Mine was a 1952 Morris Oxford.

Side valve motor, no synchromesh to first gear so if you ran out of steam on a steep hill you had to stop the car and select first gear from a stand still!

And although Christchurch NZ is flat as a tack mostly, the Port hills and the Alps meant you got pretty good at hill starts...

Bloody hell, I can almost smell the old leather interior!

Built like a tank too.

Cheers Guzzler  

If you like incredible engine sounds, here's one among the best! the Matra 650 12 cylinders.

Rumor has it that is particular sound came because the exhaust pipes were cast and not welded which is the standard way today. Thus, the pipes vibrates like a horn instruments and make this incredible sound.

Jump to 2'; this car was auctioned by ArtCurial and the presentation is irrelevant.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, p6x said:

If you like incredible engine sounds, here's one among the best! the Matra 650 12 cylinders.

Rumor has it that is particular sound came because the exhaust pipes were cast and not welded which is the standard way today. Thus, the pipes vibrates like a horn instruments and make this incredible sound.

Jump to 2'; this car was auctioned by ArtCurial and the presentation is irrelevant.

Great music....

Cheers Guzzler

Cast manifolds probably work without cracking because in-line 6s and V12 engine have 'perfect' balance. And Matra probably owned a foundry.

I remember going to the 2000 USGP, those 18k rpm V10 sounded like vacuum cleaners.  Just like they did on TV.

Nothing you'd ever hear sounded like the '90's CART Indycars.  They revved to about 16k, V8 turbos with metal valve springs (unlike F1), those cars would really give a shiver down your spine.  I think they own the closed course record of a 245 lap at Fontana.  Those cars were monsters.

So far as headers vs cast manifolds.  My tech hates headers for cracking, breaking and leaking.  Tells me to never change out stock exhaust manifolds for performance for your daily driver.  Only for hobby cars. 

• Like 2
On 10/17/2021 at 6:38 PM, docc said:

IMG_0008.jpg

Nah. None of those features do much for me. But dude...

IT'S GOT A HEMI!!!