"Some aren't so big", that's for sure. I was driving one of my work trucks (a Ford F150 4x4) down the highway yesterday and saw a nice example of a car I used to own years ago, a Triumph Spitfire. To this day it is one of my favorite old cars. But I was stunned at how small it seemed, looking down on it from my F150 4x4. I know my Smart car is small, but I did not remember how small the Triumph was.

• 6 months later...

I want a woman who wants to see the engine . . .

...and yesterday's conversation (in Pismo Beach) after I let her drive on the beach:

"Dad, what makes it four-wheel-drive?"  So we lay on the sand to look under the truck and discuss transfer cases, driveshafts, differentials, and locking hubs.

IMG_4517.jpg

you were in my neck of the woods!  next time don't be a stranger.  the ramp on to the beach is in grover beach and oceano.  I'm just a ten minute walk from where your truck is.  hope you had a nice time and plan to visit again.

Everyone should have a lifted chevy silverado...best vehicle I've ever owned!

18324730-md.jpg

75 911s ...everyone should also have a toy.

18324704-md.jpg

• Like 3

How funny - we got pictures of our trucks in the same place, and same hills in the background. To avoid the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate, perhaps we could agree that everyone should have a 4WD truck?

The Porsche Looks like a fun toy - I have good memories of a trip to Mexico in one of those (belonged to a friend). I gave up on car-toys a while back, but I get to use the same amount of space for motorcycles, so I am much happier.

How funny - we got pictures of our trucks in the same place, and same hills in the background. To avoid the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate, perhaps we could agree that everyone should have a 4WD truck?

The Porsche Looks like a fun toy - I have good memories of a trip to Mexico in one of those (belonged to a friend). I gave up on car-toys a while back, but I get to use the same amount of space for motorcycles, so I am much happier.

Yes everyone Should have a 4wd truck! My keep forever Sierra Denali was t-boned this past spring and I was in a crunch to replace it, so I bought the ex-wifes 2010 Jeep Commander. I want to keep it (it's a Hemi:)), but need another truck. I like the idea of an older, good condition Ford. Like yours Scud, but not a crew cab (just me). Did you say that was a 7.3 Diesel? Manual Trans? I respect your research and would be curious of your motor choice considerations. Motor is everything with a truck choice imo. I had a 2000 7.3 f250 auto, and liked the torque but not the giddy-up, or the fuel mileage.

It's a 7.3 Turbo-Diesel with automatic transmission and 4.11 gears. It's not going to win any drag races, but it pulls strong. I found one with about 135,000 miles in Idaho that had a Gear Vendors unit installed. That's a gear-splitter/double-overdrive. It drops about 500 RPM at 80 MPH, which is a good fuel saver - it gets maybe 18 MPH on open highway (would be better if I went slower).

I would have preferred a manual transmission, but it's not just me and "some people" refuse to drive a manual transmission.

I think the Cummins motors are probably the best, but the duramax are good too. The old 7.3 will run on the high-sulphur diesel that is still sold in Mexico -and the 1997 is the last year of smog-exempt in California. Those were factors for me - not sure if they are relevant for you.

It's slow, loud, and stinky - and I like it. I put a Mexican blanket in the back seat for "ambience." I'm surprised at how many comments the old-body-style Ford inspires, while the newer-style trucks get ignored.

Agreed... that's what I meant a 4wd truck. Doesn't have to be a Chevy by any means. I'm sure there are much better trucks out there. This is just the first one I've ever had.