Heated grips recs?

sp838

Looking into heated grips, Twisted Throttle has some by Oxford that seem well reviewed... Anyone here have a brand they like?

Here's what I learned:

"I use Dual Star but they are no longer in business.

A similar product is Symtec Heat Demon (sold by Revzilla $53). 

It’s a mylar sheet with heating elements that allow you to use any grip you want.

Off-low-high settings only.

I think the best grip with controller is the Oxford Heaterz grips.

They make several different grips for different riding styles and comes with a 7 heat selection controller.  Revzilla - $89."

• Like 1

I like the grip wraps from Aerostich rather that permanent grip replacement.   They are easy to use, easy to put on and take off. Two heating levels as well.

Heated gloves are really the best, but these are nice for when you aren't packing for severe cold.  They are small enough to keep on the bike and just install when needed. 

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

Heated gloves are really the best

Which would you recommend? Interested in all options. And less wires on the bike itself is better...

I've been reading a lot about gloves vs grips recently.  Each have their own pros and cons, but I think I've finally decided I'm going to go with the gloves.  The wires and controllers seem like they could be a little annoying to deal with, but I'd rather not add any more electrics to the bike.  I'm planning to convert my SAE type Battery Tender connector to a BMW style connector (powerlet) and use that for the heated glove / battery tender connector.

At one point I was trying to see if I could do a nice, factory looking heated grip installation using Norge or Stelvio parts.  I gave up on that, but I still think it would be cool.

I leaning towards going with these guys:  http://www.warmnsafe.com/ I didn't take them to seriously at first, but it turns out they make or designed gear for First Gear, Aerostich, and some others, and have been doing this for a long time.

The owner of Warm + Safe responded to a bunch of comments on this thread:  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/gerbing-heated-gloves-vs-firstgear-warm-and-safe-gloves.755612/

He is a little hard to understand sometimes, but it seems like he actually cares about supporting his product.

I'm thinking about this specific setup:

Gloves:  http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-touring-mens-heated-gloves/ you have to make sure to add on the Y cable to connect the gloves to the controller if you wont be powering through a jacket

Controller:  http://www.warmnsafe.com/3-level-controller-with-remote-control-12v/ (not quite sure how the remote works, but it's the cheapest option if you are only planning to control gloves)

AMA members get an 18% discount.

I'm also interested to hear about other options and other members' experiences.

Dan

• Like 1

At one point I was trying to see if I could do a nice, factory looking heated grip installation using Norge or Stelvio parts.  I gave up on that, but I still think it would be cool.

I'll just add, the stock heated grips on my Buell Uly were fantastic.. maybe they could be used.. no wires showing, 2 levels of heat.

I've had both.  I now ride with Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Gloves.  I like them much better than heated grips (which I had on my old K-75).  With my hands out in the air, heating my palms doesn't help nearly as much as heating their backs, and those Synergy gloves are darn warm to start with.  I have a Synergy jacket liner as well and they make a nice system if you ever decide to add more heat.

I rode to work (45 minutes at highway speeds most of the time) at 34 degrees on Monday and was only mildy cool.

As a bonus, I have found that when it is below 37 degrees I actually start to get cold if I ride faster than 80mph.  So they are another good reminder to take it easy...

Dealing with electric gloves and the wires drove me crazy. I've been using Oxford's for years now with no issues. Hand guards also keep the cold air off of your hands and make the heated grips very useable.

I also purchased the Joe Rocket battery powered heated gloves. Next to worthless on a bike, so now I use them with the snow blower. My hands still get cold with those, but not frozen like they used to.

Ken

On my dirt bikes, I've been using generic mylar sheet ones like Doc suggested - over the last 20 years I've found the only issue was wires cracking at the throttle every year or so, and occasionally having them melt the grip glue ( changing from dedicated grip glue to urethane based glues helped with this) . Great when riding in snow with thin dirt bike gloves on.....but not as effective as stelvio grips- BUT I hate the stelvio grips with a vengeance. Way too thick, plus they need holes drilling in the bars to secure them. Trouble is, they work REALY well....

Oxford grips aren't quite as thick as stelvio grips but still a bit thicker than I prefer. They are more effective that the mykar grips but less effective than stelvio.

As for heated gloves - I dunnu - I enjoy the flexibility of chosing a glove that suits the riding I'm doing but being able to flick a switch and walm my hands a bit from the grips eg I've had days where we left in scorching heat with ventilated dirt gloves but came back in a blizzard with the grip heaters on full. If it's so cold that grip heaters aren't enough I slip thermal sachets into the back of my gloves.

I think both heated gloves and heated grips have their places. 

I think heated gloves are going to be warmer and work in colder weather.

But there is a convenience to heated grips. And they do work better when combined with guards or other covers (but then there is the "ugly" factor).

In the past, I have personally used a heated vest and gloves, and found that worked well. But now I simply don't ride when it is that cold out. That seems to work better for me.

I respect those that ride when it is below 40 degrees F. But I don't envy them.

• 1 year later...

https://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Heated-Grips-Switch-Am19012h/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NYBZ4CQ&pd_rd_r=RDKJD20CMMAQC6QRVATV&pd_rd_w=7HZ4o&pd_rd_wg=8ClVD&psc=1&refRID=RDKJD20CMMAQC6QRVATV

I can't say enough about these Bikemaster Heated Grips. I had the previous generation (no LCD controller, just LED lights) on my Triumph and I also put them on my 850-T. They are super simple to install, and more importantly they work great! The best part of all... the price. Phenomenally low price for something that works this well!

Why heated grips? Just a little warmth on a cool day goes a long way. While they won't heat your hands up on a frigid sub-freezing, high speed ride, they will take the edge off.

Here in the PNW, we have more cool days than warm days, and even on some warm days there are cool evenings. And for this price you can't go wrong.

Throw in a free volt meter? Shut up!

Needless to say, they will be going on my V11.

71n2gbYh2oL._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

d813f952b453e7c90763ea62b43ad9a4.jpg

So for my birthday I got the grips. It's like she reads my mind!

5ee95b4443537e3ea45f6c3d2bdb2e30.jpg

I'm thinking the controller will go right here. Unlike the old ones you want to be able to clearly see it if you want to view the voltage.

7916d9b23f13d4ee48aa4aac4804f80b.jpg

These grips seem to put up more of a fight than other bikes. Let's see how they respond to some compressed air.

Then it's just a matter of wiring it up. Positive to a keyed source and ground for the other wire. Run wires and zip tie. More later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d891234476ca641d9db569af5e213941.jpge8984ebd24afaadaa9fade870b74b02b.jpg

I shaved down the light ridges on the throttle tube.

0dc5858764156efcae107b963dfb0339.jpg

The throttle side needed some light encouragement. But it also won't slip.

The clutch side was a little lose. I put some silicone but it doesn't seem to be holding yet.

All the wiring is ran but I still don't know where to tap the power from. I need a keyed source and only 5 amps, the grips pull 4 amps max. It's not uncommon to pull from a brake light line or something like that. Plus with the LED brake light now there's very little load on that circuit.

Thoughts? Where have people pulled auxiliary power from?

d31e964e309f6d6b7248bc69086d8771.jpg727fd77c5ae49d18ba761ebf32b1c981.jpg5216d52116fd562e8465b77fb2c155d3.jpg

So I got a little carried away last night. Pulled all the bodywork and ran the charging cable and heated grip wiring from the front to the back...

Still don't know where to pull the power for the grips but it's hopefully from the tail!