Sell my 2003 Rossa Corsa for an 8v Griso

turo

Bill Hagan had a Ballabio and now has a Griso (not sure if it's 8V). Even though the Ballabio is more upright than a Rosso Corca, he'd have a qualified opinion.

He always has an opinion, but this time it would be *qualified* . . .  :whistle:

Noted.   :P

Actually, my first reaction was that of some others here: "Uhm ... turo ... how much for the RC?"  

But, as I have about 10 big-ticket items of all sorts vying for my limited discretionary pennies (e.g., a tractor, kayaks, another motorcycle (or two), etc.), I'd better pass.  

Or not.  Kathi did not roll her eyes when I mused aloud about it, so maybe I should leap.  That, or she just knows to ignore my ramblings.   :wub:

I have to say that I think the Rosso Corsa is the epitome of Guzzi moto-art.  Best-looking of any since 1921.  I lust after one as I do after -- truncated thought; Kathi is looking over my shoulder now.  :ph34r:

Anyway, gorgeous:

guzzi_rossocorsa3_large.jpg

So ... to the merits.

At 54, you are youngster!

I am 68 (gasp) and yet seem to have fewer of the "aches & pains" complaints that plague aging motorcyclists.  OTC drugs help, of course, but a beer or bourbon (or both :drink: ) at the end of the day see me through, too.  

My Ballabio was not such a timeless looker, but had its charms.

400322758303-1.jpg

It had the higher, wider bars that some of that series used, thus it was not quite the RC in various ways, tho I did add an Ohlins rear and Mistrals, which made it even finer.  I regret selling it whenever I think about it ... which is often.

That said, I always find it interesting to read that others who have or have ridden both beats find the V11 series "more visceral" than the 8v Grisos, and the latter "more refined."

Obviously, "YMMV" in all such things, but that is not how how I view the two.

IMO, my '10 Griso -- which is, btw, being "rollerized" at Rose Farm Classics just now -- is the brute worthy of its Italian literature namesake.  While its engine is indubitably more mechanically advanced -- spare me the DLC-disaster jokes  :( -- its conversion of fossil fuel to fun is, again, IMO, way more robust, UNrefined, and visceral than my beloved Ballabio.  The Griso is a rodeo bull compared to the Ballabio.  The latter never disappointed, but there is no comparison to how the Griso grunts, stomps, and delivers fun.

Shown here with my Norge along the Susquehanna River near Farrandsville, Pa., on SR 120.  I use this pic to illustrate that it can tour.  This was a four-dayer and -- as stated, with appropriate dosages of Mexican food, beer, and a Kentucky nightcap or two :bier: , I was (more or less) ready for the next riding day.   

i-fwSPDnv-L.jpg

Here is another pic, taken in Wisconsin, of it also rigged for longer trips.

2012-09-16_08-45-11_960.jpg

Yup, I love it, and pray -- rather literally if not selfishly -- that I have many more years of (safe) riding ahead.

Good luck with that decision; I recommend that you keep the RC ... and buy a Griso.  Every harem needs "diversity."   :grin:

Best,

Bill

Thanks for the feedback Bill, 

I appreciate it:)

-john

He's a Yankee.  ;)

Worcester, Massachusetts.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8328&p=93636

Well, unless he's moved since '06.  I have ... twice.   :whistle:

Bill

Yep, a Yankee, 

although you are right Bill, I have moved:)

I'm now in Acworth, Ga:)

and where the heck are all the Guzzisti?

It's bad enough I can't find a decent deli, but no Guzzi Dealers, no Guzzisti to ride with!

I'm gonna take all your advice. 

Hang on the the RC, try out the Griso...I'll keep you all updated if I choose to sell.

Thanks for all your feedback!

turo,

I have an 07 Griso 4 valve that I absolutely love. Definitely a different animal than my V11. For me, the difference in the 2 diverges from Bill's description though. I find the Griso a more comfortable, and dare I say, refined ride. Ergonomically, the Griso is near perfection for me and my build. I have after market bars that are narrower and less back swept than stock, but still much wider and upright than the V11. For whatever reason, narrow clip ons just do not agree with me like they used to (even though I'm only 48) on rides longer than an hour or two. I can still tolerate clip ons - just barely. I also find the handling of the Griso to be much more "intuitive". The Griso is "easy" to ride fast - I think it and the bike does it. Transitions are just so smooth and predictable. The V11 has to be "muscled" a bit more. I will say that I have not spent enough time dialing in and fine tuning the suspension on the V11, but that is because it isn't as easy to dial in. It took me less than 2 hours to dial in the Griso suspension to feel "perfect" for me. The V11 is taking a lot more trial and error. My only "complaint" from a handling standpoint with the Griso is a lack of ground clearance on the left side. I have ground off a fair amount of the side stand. Oh well, I'll replace it when too much of it is gone.

I will agree with Bill on his description of the power delivery. Even though my Griso is a "lowly 4 valve", (though massaged with air box, exhaust and fueling mods), the throttle response is more "robust" and "visceral" than the V11.

To sum up the comparison, I love riding them both!

OK, I will throw my two cents in this as well.

We have, among other Guzzi's, an early red frame V11 and an '07 Griso 1100. Neither of them is "stock" but the V11 has more work done to it, including increased compression, improved squish, and porting.

The V11 is a more raw motorcycle. It is more exciting to ride, and it is faster.

The Griso, by comparison, is a couch. It is more comfortable, and while it is not much slower it is easier to ride to its limits than the V11.

I like my Griso a lot, and if I did not have the V11, along with a '93 Daytona, to compare it to I would not have any issues with the Griso. And it is a seriously cool looking bike, even 15 odd years after it was designed. I do wish I had an 8 valve motor in mine, but the 4 valve motor is not bad. Mine has a full exhaust with a right side exit pipe and it looks and sounds fantastic.

I am happy with my Griso and can recommend them to others, but I don't think I would want to give up a Rossa Corsa to get one.