Twelfth South'n Spine Raid 2016

That loop goes to the store at the Gap but not over it. We usually hang there for an hour or so before going on to lunch at the Sunset in Franklin and back over Wayah Rd past Nantahala Lake and again over the Cherohala.

Leaving around 9am puts us back around 4pm or so. I seem to recall it is 260 miles or so. (I can check that later by opening the route in Garmin Basecamp).

FWIW, the ride from Franklin to Highland is really nice.  You follow a rock cliff around the mountain where the road is cut and there are two waterfalls to see.  The southern most small one you can actually ride behind.  The north one is pretty big and spectacular.

655DF0022E2D45F0877AEB4C1D4E00EE.jpg

My favorite ride of all is take the Dragon east to Deal's then take 28 at the split to Franklin for eats at the diner, then down to Highland.   (just do it in the middle of the week)

• 2 weeks later...
This is a footnote if anyone is interested in seeing how Blueboardhound and I spent part of this fine weekend:

As always, probably best in "slideshow" and "full screen," especially if, inexplicably, you like captions.  :roll: 

Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.!

Bill

P.S.  If terminably bored, more background here: http://www.grisoghetto.com/t2473-grisoing-around-central-pennsylvania-pix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ride! :thumbsup:

Reminds me to make certain my tire plug kit and an air compressor are on board!

I always carry those, doc, but the V7 had tubed tires.  :huh2:

BTW, thinking the Norge again for this SSR, but  -- shame on me  :blush: -- likely trailering it to Tellico this year.  

Too many commitments in Atlanta, etc., with etc., meaning Kathi flying to Disney doin's with grands the day after the SSR.  I'm just thankful she's doing that duty, not I.   :whistle:

Anyway, got a new Aluma MC10 that makes it all easy.  Now to talk CFO Kathi into how much we "need" a new(er) and bigger p/u.  I'm thinking all day in that 209K-mile, no A/C or radio Toy on the way to the SSR just might get the point across.  :D

Bill

i-FDmfgbx-L.jpg

Bill

Lots of good riding all around here, 68 and 315 right out of Tellico is always nice. I haven't been on Wayah road this year it was a bit rough a couple years ago and they resurfaced 360 and did a horrible job, still fun but it has annoying grooves in the pavement for some reason. 28 to Highland is good and you could loop up to the BRP and Newfound gap if you want to extend your ride. there will be some traffic especially in the Smoky Mtn park areas. 

• 3 weeks later...

So we are 3 weeks away from the 'Event'. Any of you regulars want to suggest some of your favorite rides/routes for a newbie ?

Looking forward to the riding, allowing my V11 a chance to socialize & putting some faces to Avatars.

Noble- If I were heading there, I'd get there a day or two early or stay later (and avoid Saturday and Sunday) and ride the Tail of the Dragon (hwy 129) and on to hwy 28 to Highland then loop back through Robinsville.  I think that is one of the best stretches of roads anywhere.  The Dragon is usually too crowded on weekend to enjoy. 

Last year was my first year. There will be plenty of veteran Raiders there with routes to share. We avoided the Dragon last year for two reasons, the crowds and it was wet. Bad combo on that road in my opinion. We did stop by the resort at Deals Gap but didn't venture over 129. Still plenty of other roads to keep us occupied. Looking forward to seeing you there. 

Tim,

Grand roads abound down there, but -- tho I may well be (and apologize if so) be preaching to the choir -- many of the roads between Columbus and Tellico are pretty fine, too.

As you get nearer Tellico, the stretch between Knoxville and joinder at SR 68 can suck, especially U.S. 411.  I have never been on the last without seeing active blue lights, so be careful.  But, as Paul Simon said about leaving lovers, lots of ways to get there without enduring that hot and boring piece of pavement.  

My present plan, btw, (docc, et al) is trailer the EV, i.e., not the Norge, as I have "Mom (who, btw, turned 96 today, 19 August!) duty" in Atlanta following the SSR.  Kathi flies to Disney World then.  Happily, I don't. ;)  

Anyway, don't remember riding the Cali at a 'Raid ... have I?  Just turned 100K on it, and it has me enchanted just now. :race:

Bill

Bill,

You are right there are some great roads in the SE part of the State, but we're trying to keep that quiet.

My plan, if no other Pratt drives into me, is drive down with bike in the Sprinter & use that as my tent for the trip.

Bill,

You are right there are some great roads in the SE part of the State, but we're trying to keep that quiet.

My plan, if no other Pratt drives into me, is drive down with bike in the Sprinter & use that as my tent for the trip.

Great! A Sprinter Topic! what'dya got and or recommend? They've been on my radar for a year. I'm thinking use for work - bike trips - and trips in general, with the bike of course. (RV) Where will you park/camp?  I hope I get to see it.